Flash Synch Speed of D-Lux 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I plan to use an external flash on my D-Lux 5. What is the flash synch speed of this camera?

I do have the Leica SF 24D (which I use primarily on my M9) and Olympus S20 flash; both of which are small enough to sit comfortably on the D-Lux 5.

Since acquiring the SF 24D, the Olympus S20 has been relegated to the the drawer, but it is still a very competent little flash!

Both flashes will be used in automatic or manual mode only. Obviously TTL mode on the SF 24D will not work on the the D-Lux 5.

I have just tested the flash synch speed using the Leica SF 24D. Instead of limiting to 1/60 sec, I was able to shoot at 1/2000 sec.

I checked user guide written by Alexander White, nowhere could I find any indication that flash synch speed is 1/60 sec.

Are you saying that the the camera does not have a focal plane shutter and because of this I can use higher shutter speed for flash photography. Your suggestion that the the minimum shutter speed of 1/60 sec confused me.

Thank you Stuny, my concern is addressed. I shall use the SF24D instead of Olympus S20 as the SF24D has a very useful feature for flash compensation (and dedicated button too).

Attached is a shot of the D-lux 5 with SF 24D, with hand grip and Panasonic LX5 lens barrel (I can fit 52mm filters on it). It is a neat little package when I choose to leave the "larger" cameras at home.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edwin -

My mentioning the minimum shutter speed is 1/60 is referring to the slowest shutter speed the camera is capable of, flash or no flash, but my memory might be off regarding that.

Flash synch speeds are just an issue for cameras with focal plane shutters, ensuring that your exposure is long enough to capture the flash after the first shutter curtain opens and before the second shutter curtain closes.  Your camera does not have a focal plane shutter, so there should be no flash synch issues.  Again from memory, you have two types of shutters in your camera:  A leaf shutter plus an electronic shutter for the fastest speeds.

Don't worry - Just go out and shoot, and show us the results.