What M lens is missing - what lens should Leica invent soon?

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are your cravings, needs, wishes and desires regarding M lenses that do not exist yet?
21mm Summicron? Perhaps a 24mm Summicron? A brand new and Karbe - updated 75mm f1.4 Summilux? A new line of affordable budget M lenses? Some vintage revivals?
Share your thoughts - within reason of course.

• Like 1

Updated 75/1.4? Won't happen due to the 75/1.25. Affordable budget? Won't happen either, already done and CV is out of reach. 21/1.4 or 24/1.4? Already done, too big and expensive. Remain 21/2 or 24/2 that Leica never made i don't know why. I don't hold my breath though. More money to make with a 35/2 apo provided it remains compact enough i guess.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, lct said:

Updated 75/1.4? Won't happen due to the 75/1.25. Affordable budget? Won't happen either, already done and CV is out of reach. 21/1.4 or 24/1.4? Already done, too big and expensive. Remain 21/2 or 24/2 that Leica never made i don't know why. I don't hold my breath though. More money to make with a 35/2 apo provided it remains compact enough i guess.

Regarding prices, the 75 Summicron APO sells for $4395 USD.  The 90 Sumicron APO sells for $5095 USD and the 75 Noctilux ASPH sells for $14,095 USD.

Given the above, Leica could release an updated 75mm Summilux and price it at $7000(ish), sell plenty of them and not erode sales of the 75 'cron, the 90 'cron or the hideously costly 75 Noctilux.

JMHO. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leica could release an updated 75mm Summilux and price it at $7000(ish), sell plenty of them and not erode sales of the 75 'cron, the 90 'cron or the hideously costly 75 Noctilux.

Why not but i find hard to imagine how plenty of $7000(ish) 75/1.4 could be sold given that the very good CV 75/1.5 can be had for $1000 or less... I'm no armchair CEO though :cool:.

• Like 1