For those who carry another camera in addition to the Q...

cheuwi

For a wonderful if short period of time my kit was

• Q 116
  • Olympus Pen-F
    • [70-200 equiv] Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6
    • [15 equiv] Laowa 7.5 f/2

And that was it. More often than not, the Laowa was too wide so it was practically the 70-200 on the Olympus and then the Q dealt with the "normal angles". It was so good, the telezoom is so lightweight and sharp.

I let myself ruin this perfect arrangement by experimenting with an M.

18 hours ago, LondonL said:

If Leica made a 50mm Q that would be the perfect two camera setup. Wouldn’t need anything else.

One can dream

If you want that FF aesthetic I don't blame you but this would do for me as the closest thing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 2/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, cheuwi said:

Thanks for sharing... 

Looks like we are all doing the same thing (i.e. carrying a longer lens with the Q).

I am leaning towards the CL route (for now)... any rumors on a CL2?

Yeah there was a mention of the cl2 on the leicarumors site coming out in April 2021. I don't know if it's true or not so take it with a grain of salt. I would link here but I'm not sure if linking to rumor sites are allowed in the forum. Just Google search "site: leicarumors.com leica cl2 rumor" and it should be one of the first links that pop up.

To the original question I use the Q2 and I pair it with the Leica Sl2 and 75sl. I typically leave the house with just one camera and one lens. I try to commit to one focal length per outing.

Edited by cheekz4dayz
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, CelciusCat said:

Wow, a Q2 + R5 would be my dream combination.  I currently use a Q for everyday shots and a Canon 5D Mark III for work.  I've even thought of a Q2 Monochrom + R5 but perhaps in another lifetime!  🙃

I bought a 5D Mk III when it was first introduced and still have it. Another workhorse camera for me. The R5 now has superseded it. 

I love the ergonomics and IQ of Leica cameras and very much my Q2. A Q2M would be a great addition. The low light performance and B&W tonality are superb. Someday!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

I bought a 5D Mk III when it was first introduced and still have it. Another workhorse camera for me. The R5 now has superseded it. 

I love the ergonomics and IQ of Leica cameras and very much my Q2. A Q2M would be a great addition. The low light performance and B&W tonality are superb. Someday!! 

I was toying with the R5 to replace my 5d mkiv. In the end decided that 5d didn’t need replacing, it just needed a Q2M to sit alongside it....

30 minutes ago, LondonL said:

... and how was the experiment? Its one I'm close to doing (but already have a film M so feel pretty confident about it)

I had to answer the siren song of M and once I did, Q didn't feel like anything anymore. I had to have the rangefinder experience. Both Q and Pen-F are long gone.

Q's technical superiority remains a fact but it's just 1000 times more satisfying doing your own mistakes in focus or metering exposure.

• Like 1

This..... M10-D with a 50 Apo Summicron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am 9.2.2021 um 22:28 schrieb newtoleica:

This..... M10-D with a 50 Apo Summicron

Thats a nice combo even if 50mm digital would be too narrow for my use.
35mm would be the same 50mm analog when i started with my fathers Leica.
If i should go beack to interchangable lenses then a 15mm 28 or 35mm and 90mm macro would be the lenses of my choice.
Well and if i should go for a Safari or similar a 300mm for wildlife

Ahh, i forgot, the above lenses on a SL2, but then i am where i came from, too much weight and bulk to haul around the world

Chris

For a couple of trips in 2018 I took the Leica Q and Hasselblad X1D + 90mm (71mm ff equiv)

https://danielcook.com/2018/09/19/tallinn-and-helsinki/

https://danielcook.com/2018/12/03/munich/

But now I'm considering marrying a Leica Q2M with my Hasselblad X907 + 80mm.

but my mind is a constant mess over what I want ..

Edited by dancook

vor 18 Stunden schrieb dancook:

but my mind is a constant mess over what I want ..

Yeah, that is a rather widely known "illness" of photographers, including me.
Unfortunately there is no perfect doing-all camera, maybe a M or SL series with several lenses, but then wea re again with 
switching lenses and carrying around a big and heavy photo bag. And that is the reason why most of us use the Q2 even with her fixed lens limitations.
This is a limitation but also gives the opportunity to discover/use a new/old way of slow-shooting and zooming by walking.
For the use as travel and documentation camera theQ2 is simply perfect for my use ad that is why i love her.

Chris

• Like 2

Am 4.2.2021 um 16:14 schrieb JJ99:

I was toying with the R5 to replace my 5d mkiv. In the end decided that 5d didn’t need replacing, it just needed a Q2M to sit alongside it....

For me this is true too. I have the Mk iii and Mk iv whereas the latter version is a real beast that I normally use for big inside events with fast 50mm and the superb 135 2.0. I decided that I do not need the R5 as I do no sport nor wildlife. For whatever is not commissioned work I normally use the Q2 and/or the M10 (here I have lenses from 21 to 75mm). As I am above 70 years of age I do not like to carry heavy lenses as a 70-200 2.8 etc. I started to add 70-200 4.0 a few years ago as it is half the weight. But since I bought the Leica gear this is the one of my choice. Many years ago with my first Voigtlander camera I had a fix 50mm. Many years I had just that one lens. With Leica I came back to that simplicity and most of the time nowadays before leaving the house I decide which lens to mount on the M10 and then have just that one lens during the whole day. When I take the Q2 (its actually my wife's camera) then I think that I have a 28, a 35 and a 50mm at the same time. Assuming that with the Canon most time for hiking or holiday situations I would have probably the 24-70mm 2.8 and with this lens I probably shoot anyway around 28 to 50mm so that with the Q2 I just have that again. I normally do not print anyway. 

The long thing short: Q2 is a superb tool (besides the M10). But for some occasions I still need Canon. But Canon is heavy and bulky whereas Leica is light and beautiful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M10 for me said:

For me this is true too. I have the Mk iii and Mk iv whereas the latter version is a real beast that I normally use for big inside events with fast 50mm and the superb 135 2.0. I decided that I do not need the R5 as I do no sport nor wildlife. For whatever is not commissioned work I normally use the Q2 and/or the M10 (here I have lenses from 21 to 75mm). As I am above 70 years of age I do not like to carry heavy lenses as a 70-200 2.8 etc. I started to add 70-200 4.0 a few years ago as it is half the weight. But since I bought the Leica gear this is the one of my choice. Many years ago with my first Voigtlander camera I had a fix 50mm. Many years I had just that one lens. With Leica I came back to that simplicity and most of the time nowadays before leaving the house I decide which lens to mount on the M10 and then have just

that one lens during the whole day. When I take the Q2 (its actually my wife's camera) then I think that I have a 28, a 35 and a 50mm at the same time. Assuming that with the Canon most time for hiking or holiday situations I would have probably the 24-70mm 2.8 and with this lens I probably shoot anyway around 28 to 50mm so that with the Q2 I just have that again. I normally do not print anyway. 

The long thing short: Q2 is a superb tool (besides the M10). But for some occasions I still need Canon. But Canon is heavy and bulky whereas Leica is light and 

I agree, the Q2 is a superb little “big” camera. I’m now thinking about adding the forthcoming CL2 to replace the Canon. Will I be happy about it not being full frame, I don’t know, can I be content with only having the rumoured 26 mega pixels of the CL2 after being spoilt with the 47 of the Q2M, another quandary......

My Q has an SL and soon an M10 for company. The SL is for when I want the physically bigger body, using it with gloves, or want to shoot in different aspect ratios or through a right angle finder.

The M10 is for when I want the ultimate experience.

The Q is my family camera, day trip camera where I want the luxury of autofocus but the size of the M.

• Like 1

At the moment I am using a Fuji XT3 with 50-140 2.8 in addition to my Q2, which allows me to take all the photos I want. Like most I think I take 80-90% of my photos with the Q2, fantastic camera! Together with the Fuji, the set is too big and too heavy as a compact set. I'm probably going to exchange the Fuji for a CL2, assuming it comes out this year. I still doubt I will buy a 55-135 or 90 with that..

• Like 1