Color Fidelity Profiles for the M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that https://www.colorfidelity.com/leica.htm didn't offer colour profiles for the M240, which surprised me as many have a good word to say about their work with other cameras (and it's not like there hasn't been the occasional debate over the years about the M240 colour palette!)

Being a curious sort I reached out to Colin and he told me that Leica has never sent him a 240 to calibrate

Long story short he asked that if anyone could supply him with colourchecker images he could probably produce a profile

Colin can be reached on the email below if anyone wants to provide sample files

Colin Walker  colorfidelity@gmail.com

If you have a colorchecker image, the software spits a profile in a few seconds.   I use the X-rite target with 24 patches that is cheap enough for anyone worried about color accuracy to own.  However, 2 of the 24 patches come out not as close as I would like, but much better than the Leica profiles for my M8 and M9.  Red was so bad when I got my M9 that I thought about returning it before I got the X-rite target.  There are some very high end (expensive) camera calibration systems that I wish I had access to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zeitz said:

I don't own an M240 or I would send him the file.

I do not think that they are transferable unless both users use the same make of lens with identical bodies. Colour corrections could differ, if only marginally. For the relatively low cost, it is worth producing your own and for future models and lenses. Compared with capital costs of Leica equipment,  a ColorChecker is a modest outlay and is a versatile accessory in everyday photography. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, wda said:

I do not think that they are transferable unless both users use the same make of lens with identical bodies. Colour corrections could differ, if only marginally. For the relatively low cost, it is worth producing your own and for future models and lenses. Compared with capital costs of Leica equipment,  a ColorChecker is a modest outlay and is a versatile accessory in everyday photography. 

Nothing you say is incorrect obviously, but from what I can tell from rhetoric on the internet, Colin's work making bespoke, yet generic (yes contradiction in terms that, that is) profiles is highly regarded...

If you have DNGs of a colour checker passport taken with the M240 and are happy to share them with Colin then I'm sure that both Colin and the Leica community at large would be grateful

• Like 1