Leitz Summicron-R 50/2 vs Leica Summicron-R 50/2

Shepherdphotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon, I would like to buy a Summicron-R 50/2 for my Nikon D850 and Nikon Df. I know I would to change the Leica R bayonet to mount it, but it isn't a problem. I've seen two possible candidates in my trusted shop:  

1) Around the front lens: "Leitz Summicron-R 50/2": year 1977 (from Leica Wiki, number 2876xxx) and there is written: "for Leica R only": like new;

2) Around the front lens: "Leica Summicron-R 50/2 E55": year 1990 (from Leica Wiki, number 3511xxx): like new ;

I am interested above all in the blurry, classic Leica tones, classic Leica natural colors, tonal transitions, not excessive contrast and I don't really care about sharpness; I would use it mainly at medium and long distance: which one do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Lens coatings may have been improved on the later lens, but in general the should be equal. The “R only” note means it lacks the meter cams for the earlier Leicaflex cameras, which is no concern adapting it to other mounts, but may lower the price a small amount, as it is less applicable to Leica users.

I’m quite sure the automatic diaphragm will not work on adapted bodies, so you’ll use it as a manual aperture lens.

5 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Lens coatings may have been improved on the later lens, but in general the should be equal. The “R only” note means it lacks the meter cams for the earlier Leicaflex cameras, which is no concern adapting it to other mounts, but may lower the price a small amount, as it is less applicable to Leica users.

I’m quite sure the automatic diaphragm will not work on adapted bodies, so you’ll use it as a manual aperture lens.

Good morning, thank you for your fast reply. Yes, I know that automatic diaphragm will not work on adapted bodies, so you’ll use it as a manual aperture lens, i already do it on my Nikon digital bodies without problems.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 6:39 PM, TomB_tx said:

So, Tom, I can safely buy one that says "R-only" and use it in my Leica R8 body, right?