Looking to buy a new fifty. Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 or 1.5 VMII?

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Beena22 said:

Thanks. I’m still really torn. I guess it comes down to whether u really need that extra third of a stop. In reality probably not....but it’s nice to have. I think the size is drawing me closer to the 1.5 to be honest. 

f/1.2 ... f/1.5 is 3/4 of a stop !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

• Like 2

The 50f1.2 Nokton was really really hot when I purchased it 18-24 months ago.  It seems that the new 50f2 APO from Voigtlander is now the HOT lens.  It is getting incredible reviews and at $1000 is literally 1/8 the cost of the Leica 50 APO.  It appears to be of the same style (external appearance) as the 50f1.2.  

Again, I don't know that much about it other then what I read here and over on Rangefinder Forum but it is causing some serious GAS and for $1000 looks like a great deal.

9 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Ok, spill the beans, how does the ttartisan compare to the voigtlander 1.5 ii and 1.2 ?

I have read great reviews, although recently some folk are saying internal shiny surfaces cause excess flare at certain apertures. But an aspherical element for the price, can't be denied....

Edited by colonel

6 hours ago, colonel said:

Ok, spill the beans, how does the ttartisan compare to the voigtlander 1.5 ii and 1.2 ?

I have read great reviews, although recently some folk are saying internal shiny surfaces cause excess flare at certain apertures. But an aspherical element for the price, can't be denied....

I don’t know as I don’t have the 50. I just threw it in to the mix to give another choice.

9 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

The 50f1.2 Nokton was really really hot when I purchased it 18-24 months ago.  It seems that the new 50f2 APO from Voigtlander is now the HOT lens.  It is getting incredible reviews and at $1000 is literally 1/8 the cost of the Leica 50 APO.  It appears to be of the same style (external appearance) as the 50f1.2.  

Again, I don't know that much about it other then what I read here and over on Rangefinder Forum but it is causing some serious GAS and for $1000 looks like a great deal.

The APO is crazy sharp.  However, I’d get the 50/1.2 if I didn’t already have two other fast 50’s. That is unless I was more of a tripod or landscape oriented photographer - then the APO is the one to get. 

23 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

You will also find f1.2 in the one-third f-stop scale. In practice,comparing the exposure from the two lenses it seems to me that the 50mm f1.2 is about half a stop faster compared to the 50mm f1.5.

-Thomas

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 6:10 PM, FrozenInTime said:

1 hour ago, trisberg said:

You will also find f1.2 in the one-third f-stop scale. In practice,comparing the exposure from the two lenses it seems to me that the 50mm f1.2 is about half a stop faster compared to the 50mm f1.5.

-Thomas

If my calculations are correct, the actual numbers are...

f/1.5, Av=1.1699

f/1.2, Av=0.5260

and the difference is 0.6439 

so, actually pretty close to 2/3 stop 

Av= 2 * log(fn)/log(2)

Edited by BradS
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, BradS said:

If my calculations are correct, the actual numbers are...

f/1.5, Av=1.1699

f/1.2, Av=0.5260

and the difference is 0.6439 

so, actually pretty close to 2/3 stop 

Av= 2 * log(fn)/log(2)

I think we need more decimals for the actual f-stops of the lenses 😀, did they round up or down, my comment was more based on actual observation from using the lenses.

Back to the original topic, I think the f1.2 lens has nicer bokeh with nicer OOF blur circles of point light sources while the f1.5 v2 is much smaller and lighter and seems sharper across the field wide open. I'm leaning towards just keeping the f1.5 v2 as my only 50mm lens, for now.

-Thomas

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trisberg said:

I think we need more decimals for the actual f-stops of the lenses 😀, did they round up or down, my comment was more based on actual observation from using the lenses.

Back to the original topic, I think the f1.2 lens has nicer bokeh with nicer OOF blur circles of point light sources while the f1.5 v2 is much smaller and lighter and seems sharper across the field wide open. I'm leaning towards just keeping the f1.5 v2 as my only 50mm lens, for now.

-Thomas

Thanks Thomas I think I’m heading in that direction myself. 

22 minutes ago, Beena22 said:

Thanks for everyone's input.  I managed to find a dealer that had stock come in today so I went for the Nokton 1.5 VII MC in black.  Should arrive tomorrow.

Please tell us how you find it

Instead of buying a Voigt 1.2, I have decided to buy a TTArtisan 0.95 and a small 50mm, so the 1.5 ii might fit tbr bill. I used to have the 1.5 i, a fantastic underrated lens

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colonel said:

Please tell us how you find it

Instead of buying a Voigt 1.2, I have decided to buy a TTArtisan 0.95 and a small 50mm, so the 1.5 ii might fit tbr bill. I used to have the 1.5 i, a fantastic underrated lens

I’ll definitely feedback on my experiences when it arrives. 

I was really tempted by the 1.2 but I think the size would have annoyed me, as I like to keep my kit small. The 1.5 seems like the perfect size and a great complement to my Nokton Classic 35

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CV 1.5II 

TT 50/1.4

TT 50/0.95

7A 1.1

CV 1.2III

Which do you think is the less glow and better performance wide open, or just a half stop more? Let's say one has a 50 Summicron v5, and he's delighted. But he wants to buy another faster fifty, it doesn't matter how big small heavy light is, he just wants a lens to use wide-open only, for some photos ... Experiments, "artistic" and playful purposes. 🙂 
Which one would you recommend? 
P.s. If 7A or CV 1.2III perform wow at 1.4, it's perfect. Only one full stop less than the 50 Cron, but still great IQ for an affordable price.

I can see that 0.95, 1.1 or 1.2 without glow is impossible, right? Well, for a $1k budget 

14 hours ago, Beena22 said:

I’ll definitely feedback on my experiences when it arrives. 

I was really tempted by the 1.2 but I think the size would have annoyed me, as I like to keep my kit small. The 1.5 seems like the perfect size and a great complement to my Nokton Classic 35

It's a superb complement and they even use the same hood.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well the first update is that the lens arrived this morning and it was faulty unfortunately ☹️

It didn’t click into place when mounted. Instead it over rotated and brought up the 90mm frame lines before coming to a stop   (not locked in though and you could simply rotate it back off the camera body). Not had that issue with any lens before and all of my others are fine, so it must be a manufacturing defect. 

Very disappointing as I really liked the size and feel of it. The dealer was excellent though and has apologised, paid for the cost of return and shipped a replacement. 

So my second initial thoughts (?!) will have to wait a few more days. 

10 hours ago, Beena22 said:

Well the first update is that the lens arrived this morning and it was faulty unfortunately ☹️

It didn’t click into place when mounted. Instead it over rotated and brought up the 90mm frame lines before coming to a stop   (not locked in though and you could simply rotate it back off the camera body). Not had that issue with any lens before and all of my others are fine, so it must be a manufacturing defect. 

Very disappointing as I really liked the size and feel of it. The dealer was excellent though and has apologised, paid for the cost of return and shipped a replacement. 

So my second initial thoughts (?!) will have to wait a few more days. 

Mine didn't click in and lock either the first couple of times I mounted it, but it sorted itself out. I assume the groove where the pin is supposed click in was a bit tight and needed just a bit of wear to work properly.

-Thomas

5 hours ago, trisberg said:

Mine didn't click in and lock either the first couple of times I mounted it, but it sorted itself out. I assume the groove where the pin is supposed click in was a bit tight and needed just a bit of wear to work properly.

-Thomas

Did yours spin past where it was supposed to click in place? Mine didn’t stop turning until it hit the 90mm position. I wonder if it was to do with the temperature. It was below freezing and the lens would have been sat in a van overnight until it got to me. It felt incredibly cold when I removed it from the box and maybe it had shrunk and that’s why it didn’t click into place. I didn’t consider that until I had returned it - it’ll be interesting to see if the replacement does the same today as it is even colder.