Looking to buy a new fifty. Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 or 1.5 VMII?

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m looking for a fast fifty for my M9 and have narrowed it down to the two above. I currently own a Zeiss Planar and whilst it’s a great lens I would like something a bit faster and I really like how Voigtlander lenses render (I own and adore the 35mm Nokton Classic SC). I like my lenses to be compact and small, which puts me off of the 1.2 a bit - however I am drawn in by the larger aperture and positive reviews of it  

I would be really interested to hear from folks who have used both and especially on an M9 (some example images on an M9 would be awesome as well). 

Edited by Beena22
Extra words
  • Like 1

Brian S has the 1.5 and I think speaks highly of it. From what I’ve seen, it might be the best all around bang for your buck 50. Decent price, looks sharp, minimal focus shift, and compact. 

The only reason I don’t have one is I already have a 50/1.4 ASPH and a C-Sonnar. The Sonnar is fantastic, but a little ‘weird’.

Here’s a thread. There are also a few on Rangefinderforum in Brian’s area. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/316066-voigtlander-nokton-50mm-f15-aspherical-ii-mc-lens/

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tgray said:

Brian S has the 1.5 and I think speaks highly of it. From what I’ve seen, it might be the best all around bang for your buck 50. Decent price, looks sharp, minimal focus shift, and compact. 

The only reason I don’t have one is I already have a 50/1.4 ASPH and a C-Sonnar. The Sonnar is fantastic, but a little ‘weird’.

Here’s a thread. There are also a few on Rangefinderforum in Brian’s area. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/316066-voigtlander-nokton-50mm-f15-aspherical-ii-mc-lens/

Thanks. I read Brian’s thoughts earlier. It looks like a great lens. I’m really interested to hear opinions from people who have tried/owned both to get an idea as to which they felt was the best. I’m definitely leaning towards the 1.5 but I’ve heard such good things about the 1.2. 

I've not used the 50/1.2 Nokton- the only reason I don't have one is I have the 50/1.1 Nokton. And I might still pick it up. I went through the same thought process: why am I paying as much for a 50/1.5 when I could get the 50/1.2. Came down to: I wanted a modern lens that was compact.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is compact, size of a classic Sonnar formula Canon 50/1.5. Beautifully made. A little more vignetting wide-open than the original 50/1.5 Nokton LTM. The latter- about the same size as the newer 50/1.2 Nokton.

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I've not used the 50/1.2 Nokton- the only reason I don't have one is I have the 50/1.1 Nokton. And I might still pick it up. I went through the same thought process: why am I paying as much for a 50/1.5 when I could get the 50/1.2. Came down to: I wanted a modern lens that was compact.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is compact, size of a classic Sonnar formula Canon 50/1.5. Beautifully made. A little more vignetting wide-open than the original 50/1.5 Nokton LTM. The latter- about the same size as the newer 50/1.2 Nokton.

You’ve just made it harder for me Brian as I used to own the LTM Nokton prior to getting an M9 (I used it on a Fuji XE1) so I know what kind of size the 1.2 is now and It’s not as big as I thought. 🤣

The 50/1.2 also has me tempted but I don’t need all these 50s. Maybe after I finally get a new 21. 

FWIW, the Sony version of the 50/1.2, which I suspect is very similar, gets good reviews as well. The VM version really isn’t that big - CameraQuest has some nice comparison photos to get a sense for the size. That being said, the 1.5 is really compact, and does f/1.2 really get you anything over f/1.5?

• Like 1

The 50 1.2 have very modern look, high contrast, sharp, very well corrected, I love this lens, very good size and weight for such a fast lens. It's lighter than my silver 50 1.4 ASPH. 

I don't have the 1.5 VMII I had the CV 50 1.1 VM and it has a very soft and dreamy wide open look. 

Edited by darkinners
  • Like 1

I’m in the process of writing a comparison of a few 50mm Lenses for Leica and I have both lenses here. They are woth fantastic lenses. The 1.2 is small for its aperture and has the best ergonomics ever for me. The 1.5 II is almost as good ergonomically but tiny and light. You want an everyday lens? Get the 1.5 II. It’s worth every last penny.

• Like 6

Size is very important, the Nokton 1.2 is 3mm shorter than the new/old 1.2 Noctilux, but a little fatter, but not as compact as the new CV 1.5. The Nokton 1.2 has a very modern rendering, can be used at 1.2 for the modern rendering as well. I keep it for those occasions when I need every scrap of light and want that rendering (I have the tiny Sonnetar 1.16 if I want a dreamy rendering at that sort of aperture setting). 

Edited by 105012
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

I’m in the process of writing a comparison of a few 50mm Lenses for Leica and I have both lenses here. They are woth fantastic lenses. The 1.2 is small for its aperture and has the best ergonomics ever for me. The 1.5 II is almost as good ergonomically but tiny and light. You want an everyday lens? Get the 1.5 II. It’s worth every last penny.

Thanks for the response. What would you say are the differences in the way that each of them renders?  Do you have any samples of the two on an M body that you could share?

40 minutes ago, Beena22 said:

Thanks for the response. What would you say are the differences in the way that each of them renders?  Do you have any samples of the two on an M body that you could share?

The differences are not huge. Both are very modern lenses, the differences are not that great. I have used the 1.2 for a year previously, it’s a wonderful lens. Clean, smooth bokeh, sharp (although a little spherical aberration wide open giving a slight glow), very little focus shift irrelevant in use, fantastic rendition with a good amount of contrast and beautiful colour. The 1.5 II? I could repeat exactly the same! The real distinction is the vignetting wide open, which is quite something on the 1.5 II. I’m going to code it as 75 1.4, it seems the most effective profile for me after the Noctilux 1.2 which has no code, only menu selection. 
I still have to finish comparing them, but remember: they are only 2/3 of a stop apart. Get the 1.5 II 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

The differences are not huge. Both are very modern lenses, the differences are not that great. I have used the 1.2 for a year previously, it’s a wonderful lens. Clean, smooth bokeh, sharp (although a little spherical aberration wide open giving a slight glow), very little focus shift irrelevant in use, fantastic rendition with a good amount of contrast and beautiful colour. The 1.5 II? I could repeat exactly the same! The real distinction is the vignetting wide open, which is quite something on the 1.5 II. I’m going to code it as 75 1.4, it seems the most effective profile for me after the Noctilux 1.2 which has no code, only menu selection. 
I still have to finish comparing them, but remember: they are only 2/3 of a stop apart. Get the 1.5 II 

Thank you. Sounds like the 1.5 is a winner. 

Its difficult to compare the two until we see a technical review of the 1.5 ii

The 1.2 is excellent. IMHO only the Leica 50mm f1.4 is worth the next step up.

If the 1.5 ii is as good, then in purely a question of size and weight

For me, as they are the same cost in the UK (actually the 1.5 ii is slightly more), I will probably be going for the 1.2 unless the 1.5 has something exceptional not yet highlighted

An extra 0.3 is great fun ;) 

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

There is much written on the two lenses over on the Fred Miranda forum including by the host  https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1669693/6#15402889

"On the Leica M10, it's tricky because the CV 50/1.2 VM is capable of higher resolution and even nicer rendering. For those who don't mind the size and weight, the CV 50/1.2 VM should be a top choice. However, if carrying a super compact 50mm is priority, it's hard to beat the new Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II"

• Like 2

I have owned both lens but not at the same time.  The 50f1.2 Nokton is now my go to 50 (also have two 50 Summicrons) when I need speed and even when I don't.  It lives on my MP240 while a 35 Zeiss lives on my M2 or M4 depending on which I am carry that day.  It is a great lens but so is the 50f1.5 so I can't help you there.  I sold the 50f1.5 when I thought I could just live with one 50.  I suspect it will come down to size or speed needed.  Good luck!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

I have owned both lens but not at the same time.  The 50f1.2 Nokton is now my go to 50 (also have two 50 Summicrons) when I need speed and even when I don't.  It lives on my MP240 while a 35 Zeiss lives on my M2 or M4 depending on which I am carry that day.  It is a great lens but so is the 50f1.5 so I can't help you there.  I sold the 50f1.5 when I thought I could just live with one 50.  I suspect it will come down to size or speed needed.  Good luck!

Thanks. I’m still really torn. I guess it comes down to whether u really need that extra third of a stop. In reality probably not....but it’s nice to have. I think the size is drawing me closer to the 1.5 to be honest. 

13 minutes ago, Beena22 said:

Thanks. I’m still really torn. I guess it comes down to whether u really need that extra third of a stop. In reality probably not....but it’s nice to have. I think the size is drawing me closer to the 1.5 to be honest. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!