M9/M240

Lenny49

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used all versions of the digital M cameras and currently have M9/M10/M10M. To be honest, the last one I would ever sell is the M9. I sent it to Leica right at the end of the free sensor replacement program, and it came back a complete jewel. They replaced the sensor, new leatherette covering, and best of all, the gnomes went all out aligning my RF. The camera came back better than new. I intended to sell it, but this past summer I put a Voigtlander 50mm Nokton (Vintage line v1) on it. I was totally blown away. The character of the images is very..."present". The plane of focus jumps out at you. Greens and reds in particular are really vivid. Yes, it's slow to shoot. The buffer is small, processor is slow, and anything above ISO 1250 is liable to have very unappealing noise and possibly banding. But within its limits, the M9 comes closer to anything I know in the digital world of an endless roll of Kodachrome. If given a choice between the M9 and the M240, I would take the M9. The M240 is better in every measurable way, but the M9 has a certain special look that no other digital camera offers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 8:29 AM, Lenny49 said:

Hi all and hope you’re safe, This is more of a help question about these two fantastic cameras M9 or m240, Buying a M9 with a sensor change is what I’m thinking of buying, At the same time the M240 has not had so much trouble with the sensor,I’m seeing the price is a round 2000€ M9 and they seem to hold there price which is fantastic not so sure about the M240.I’m not a professional at all but the range finder is so small and with a lens too it’s incredible. The q is also on my mind there you can get one for ca 2200€ I travel a lot and love photography as a passion and Leica well say no more. Thank you 

So just curious @Lenny49 what did you get in the end?

Hi thank you for asking, Actually I bought the Fujifilm x100f in a hurry from a guy in Barcelona live most of my time in spain too, Had this camera for a while now been still bidding on m9 with new sensor though.With all the restrictions been on it’s not been easy to travel like I wanted too, My goal was to travel too England on a work shop but never got there,Now I’m making new arrangements for this in October, Leica is still no Ono 👍👍Stay safe let u know what I buy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used an M240 for about 8 months as a loaner from Leica while my M9 sensor was getting replaced again. The M240 had a much better battery and it really was without any flaws except that it was not "my M9". After the first use of the M240 my little finger on my right hand felt crushed and it hurt. I was holding the M240 the same way I was used to hold my M9. It did not work well. 

The images from the M240 had different colors from images from my M9. I preferred the images from my M9. Now if there had been an M9 with some features of the M240, I may have skipped buying an M10.

• Thanks 1