Need help with my vintage Leicaflex SL!

EMarch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! First of all, forgive me if I'm posting this thread in the wrong forum. I'm new to Leica and didn't see anything about the old Leicaflex SL model specifically. The issue I'm having is related to focusing. My camera belonged to my late grandfather and was recently given to me by my grandmother. I believe it's a 1968 version? The lens attached to it is a Summicron - R 1:2/50. Anyway, I can't seem to get my subject to focus. When I turn the focus ring, I can definitely see my subject going out of focus, but where it should be sharply focused, it's still a little blurry and fuzzy. Like it gets so close to being focused, to the point where I almost wonder if it is and my eyes are just fuzzy, until ultimately I realize it's definitely not in focus like it should be. So long story short, I can't get my subject in focus. I read in the manual about what the rangefinder looks like when the subject isn't in focus and that's what it looks like all the time. At some points, however, my subject is just way, way out of focus. Hope that makes sense. 

Also, I don't know if it matters, but when I got the camera, there was just an old roll of film in it. I didn't get around to putting new film in it until today, which is when I started noticing this issue. From what I can remember, right after I got the camera and I was researching it and messing around with it a bit, the focus was working fine. Aside from a couple times since then of taking it out and messing around with it, I haven't done anything with the camera.

If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I've never owned an old film camera (or any film camera) like this so I have no idea what to think or where to go, aside from a local camera shop. Before doing that, however, I'm trying to scour the internet for as much info. as possible. Thank you!

The Leicaflex SL is a fantastic camera.  Regarding the focus issue, I would cross check against known distance to subject, in other words test focussing on objects at various distances and check if focus can be achieved at any distance.  If the focus cannot be achieved regardless of subject distance it sounds like there is some misalignment with the mirror, so that it has not fully returned to it’s correct down position  (disclaimer: I am not a camera technician).

The camera will also need an MR-9 battery adapter to down convert the voltage to the correct voltage for the light meter.  These are not cheap so maybe try a cheap alkaline PX625 replacement to at least see if the meter is working before buying an MR9.  The user manual for the camera is available for free on the butkus.org site.

Edited by andrew01

I bought my SL in 1969 - indeed a great camera. Although I've never seen mirror misalignment in an SL, that is about the only thing that sounds like your issue. The Pentax LX was quite prone to this due to a rubber-like mirror rest, and my LX developed that problem and it was similar to what you describe. However the SL construction is quite different.

I have seen an SL with degradation of the focusing screen that made it hard to focus - it looked like a coating had discolored.

The usual problem with an old SL is the meter CdS cell degrading making the meter read way off in some lighting conditions.

Hello Emarch,,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are 2 different things that might be at issue here:

Most Leicaflex SL cameras came with a somewhat unique focusing system.

The majority of the focusing screens in most of the  cameras: Are made with really tiny microprisims for the majority of the screen & slightly larger microprisims (But still tiny.) for the center of the screen. This circular central portion also shows the metering angle which changes depending on which lens is being used. But the angle of meter coverage is always that area within that central circle.

These microprisims, especially the central 1's, can "shimmer", like people travelling in a transporter on the original "Star Trek". Sometimes this "shimmering" never quite goes away & therefore seems like inaccurate focus.

In those circumstances it is best to focus until the "shimmering" is at its least.

The second possibility is that it was possible to order a Leicaflex SL with a plain ground glass with the central circle, as described above. This plain ground glass might have some situations where it may not look like something is in "sharp focus".

Hopefully this might be helpful.

Best Regards,

Michael

On 2/1/2021 at 3:33 PM, andrew01 said:

The Leicaflex SL is a fantastic camera.  Regarding the focus issue, I would cross check against known distance to subject, in other words test focussing on objects at various distances and check if focus can be achieved at any distance.  If the focus cannot be achieved regardless of subject distance it sounds like there is some misalignment with the mirror, so that it has not fully returned to it’s correct down position  (disclaimer: I am not a camera technician).

The camera will also need an MR-9 battery adapter to down convert the voltage to the correct voltage for the light meter.  These are not cheap so maybe try a cheap alkaline PX625 replacement to at least see if the meter is working before buying an MR9.  The user manual for the camera is available for free on the butkus.org site.

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I did try focusing at various distances and it didn't seem to make a difference. The mirror misalignment idea is interesting. I'm obviously not a camera technician either, but it sounds like that issue might produce the situation I'm experiencing. In any case, I have a feeling there's definitely something wrong that I'll have to consult a technician about. As I said, I don't remember noticing this focusing issue when I first received the camera. I don't know what could've happened between then and now, but I can't see why I'd notice it so clearly and immediately now and not notice it at all then. 

Regarding the battery, the battery that's in the camera now hasn't been replaced since my grandfather last used it. He passed away in 2010 and it could've been even longer since he used it last. The meter moves and seems to work, but as I said, I'm new to these systems so perhaps I think it's working when it's not. Will the meter still move if the batteries are dead? And might a metering issue cause a focusing issue?

Edit: Also, so happy to hear it's a good camera. I've been wanting to get into film photography for a while and it's extra special for me to get into it with a camera that belonged to my grandfather, who was a passionate hobbyist photographer, which is one of the things I remember most about him. It seems like I was always looking at him through the front of his lens.

Edited by EMarch

On 2/2/2021 at 8:08 AM, TomB_tx said:

I bought my SL in 1969 - indeed a great camera. Although I've never seen mirror misalignment in an SL, that is about the only thing that sounds like your issue. The Pentax LX was quite prone to this due to a rubber-like mirror rest, and my LX developed that problem and it was similar to what you describe. However the SL construction is quite different.

I have seen an SL with degradation of the focusing screen that made it hard to focus - it looked like a coating had discolored.

The usual problem with an old SL is the meter CdS cell degrading making the meter read way off in some lighting conditions.

Thank you - glad to hear it! And thanks for your reply. Hm, the degradation of the focusing screen idea is interesting, too. And I wasn't aware of the meter CdS cell degradation issue, but it definitely makes sense that focusing would be off if the meter isn't reading light correctly. This is very helpful. I'm definitely going to be taking my camera to a camera technician and making note of comments I receive here for reference, so thanks again!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Emarch,,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are 2 different things that might be at issue here:

Most Leicaflex SL cameras came with a somewhat unique focusing system.

The majority of the focusing screens in most of the  cameras: Are made with really tiny microprisims for the majority of the screen & slightly larger microprisims (But still tiny.) for the center of the screen. This circular central portion also shows the metering angle which changes depending on which lens is being used. But the angle of meter coverage is always that area within that central circle.

These microprisims, especially the central 1's, can "shimmer", like people travelling in a transporter on the original "Star Trek". Sometimes this "shimmering" never quite goes away & therefore seems like inaccurate focus.

In those circumstances it is best to focus until the "shimmering" is at its least.

The second possibility is that it was possible to order a Leicaflex SL with a plain ground glass with the central circle, as described above. This plain ground glass might have some situations where it may not look like something is in "sharp focus".

Hopefully this might be helpful.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi, Michael! Thanks so much - glad to be here! And thanks for your reply. This information is very helpful. I had no idea about these microprisims, but yes, what I'm seeing is a very strong shimmering effect. If it's an issue of my subject just seeming out of focus rather than actually being out of focus, that'd be great. I mean, it's still a pain, but my ability to take photos wouldn't be hindered as I can definitely see where my subject is most in focus (and least shimmery). Perhaps before taking my camera to a technician, I'll use up the rest of this film, get it developed, and see how the photos look. If they are, in fact, focused correctly, at least I'll know my photos will come out fine even if it doesn't seem so in-camera. However, it still seems strange to me that I didn't notice this issue when I first received the camera, as I notice it so clearly and immediately now.

If the meter needle still moves the battery has some life in it.  Note that there are two needles. The meter needle is the one without the circle.  The one with the circle changes position according to the set film speed, shutter speed and aperture and is just a mechanical coupling (no battery power needed).  See page 8 of the manual https://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leicaflex_sl.pdf

Be careful to close the wind on lever fully from the stand-off position to preserve battery life.  If you have some other cameras you can test to see if the meter reading is about right.  You could even use a light meter app on your phone.  The SL meter is a semispot meter, so you need to place the metering circle over a mid grey tone to get an accurate reading. Metering is completely independent of focusing so won’t be related to your focus issue.

Edited by andrew01
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 4:34 PM, andrew01 said:

If the meter needle still moves the battery has some life in it.  Note that there are two needles. The meter needle is the one without the circle.  The one with the circle changes position according to the set film speed, shutter speed and aperture and is just a mechanical coupling (no battery power needed).  See page 8 of the manual https://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leicaflex_sl.pdf

Be careful to close the wind on lever fully from the stand-off position to preserve battery life.  If you have some other cameras you can test to see if the meter reading is about right.  You could even use a light meter app on your phone.  The SL meter is a semispot meter, so you need to place the metering circle over a mid grey tone to get an accurate reading. Metering is completely independent of focusing so won’t be related to your focus issue.

Thanks so much! This is helpful.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Make sure the depth of field preview button is not jammed ...press it to see if the lens diaphragm is stopping down OK at eg f11 ... if jammed the lens might already be stopped down to a small aperture preventing accurate focus  

Thanks so much! I'll make sure to try this.