My first week with the Q2, and what made me buy it

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's just over a week since I picked up my brand new Leica Q2 from the Leica store in Manchester so I thought I'd like to give my views in this short period of time.

I bought the Q2 as I wanted a camera that would force me in to a specific focal length. I've had a lot of cameras and find I rarely settle on one particular setup because there's too much choice. Whether it's owning too many lenses or the camera having too many features, something always makes me move on. So I thought recently about the cameras that haves stood out in my time as a photo hobbyist and they're as follows...

• Leica M9 with a 35mm Summicron ASPH
  • Panasonic LX100 Mk1
  • Pansonic GX8

They're the cameras which over time I've kept for long enough to get to "know" them. Understand their pros and cons, and actually achieve images I was happy with.

The M9 was spectacular at base ISO. I really felt that camera taught me a lot. I travelled a lot with it, and it changed my perspective on photography. It was a nightmare to focus which slowed me down, and the ISO was severely limiting in darker scenarios; but the colours and the image quality made it all worth it. I think I upgraded to a 240 after that but as much as I loved the 240, it wasn't my first M, so the nostalgia was lost.

The LX100 is incredible for its size. Skin tones were awful and 12.8MP is only just a little more than my iPhone, but so many of the images I've printed came from that camera, because I shot so much with it. Great dynamic range, compactness and a sharp copy of the 24-75mm lens all made for a great camera. Alas though, the dust issue came around and I lost trust in the camera. The constant use meant that if I had the sensor cleaned it would more than likely end up with dust again soon, and I just didn't feel comfortable with that, as stupid as it sounds.

The GX8 is a pretty much unthought-of camera in the grand scheme of things. However, it had great IQ (I did some pro stuff with it), incredible water resistance and a tilting EVF which was amazing for street photography. However in the end, the "want" to try more lenses meant I never truly settled on one lens, although the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 did get close.

I've had many other cameras as well including 2x MP240 Safaris, all the supposedly amazing Sony A7, A9 range etc, but they've never lasted. TO BE FAIR, the Safaris probably would have lasted if they were less valuable, but I always felt the need to try new lenses and explore the M system was hindering me; I just couldn't be happy with one lens when I knew that there were a hundred or so others out there to play with. The investment also killed it as I'm not wealthy enough to lose thousands of pounds, and I always felt somehow guilty for doing so.

I had a Q2 early in 2020 but sold it due to the pandemic. I expected the values would hold, but couldn't take such a risk as I didn't know how my business was going to survive. Would people stop calling me as I work in homes and offices etc; I sold quite a few things and created a financial buffer, bought a Ricoh GRiii and thought that was it. However, I soon missed the Leica Q2. The Ricoh is amazing to be honest; it's not far off the colour accuracy of a Leica, it's small, but it lacked shallow depth of field and again, there's a dust issue going on. When I contacted Ricoh to complain the design allows dust in to the sensor, they were absolutely terrible to deal with and told me "it's like a DSLR so you need to have the sensor cleaned". Well at £50/time, no thanks.

Eventually, I thought about what I wanted. The Ricoh and iPhones made me more accustomed to the 28mm focal length subconsciously (I don't see the in-camera crop as a true 35/50/75mm on the Q2 as it doesn't change the compression etc) so that was fine. The f1.7 aperture was enough to allow some background separation when needed. The weather resistance is more than enough for what I need, and, well, it's a Leica. Leica to me means simplistic, back to basics technology in an aesthetic body, with incredible colour accuracy; yet it's not clinical like Zeiss... it still oozes character.

Well, it's been a week with my new Q2. Annoyingly, a used one came up for sale at almost £1000 less in excellent condition with a dealer, but this time I'm not as bothered about the values. I'm not as worried about business during this time as I was, and the camera has actually made me want to leave the house as lot in the past few days. I haven't stopped taking photos with it! That in itself is worth the money! I've been a hermit the past few months as a lot of us probably have. I've been going out of the house purely to work. Even my Lotus is just sat on the drive not being used. The fact this camera made me get out there and go to take photos was worth more to me than money in the bank. It's really done a lot for my morale that's for sure.

Here are some musings after my short time with the camera (pros and cons)...

• The IQ is really superb, with a contrasty lens and a smooth bokeh when I've played with the wider apertures
  • The macro function is something I've played with but it's more just a close-up I guess; it's definitely no 1:1 macro lens, but it's enough to capture interesting abstract shots
  • The battery life is a little weak but it's a new battery so I'm hopeful a few charges will build up the usage time slightly
  • The holster I bought with the camera is EXCELLENT, but I've seen other guys not liking it so much in my other thread. Personal preference but worth a consideration IMO. The only annoying thing for me is the battery area is exposed slightly when the camera is inside the holster. This is fine most of the time, but if I was out in the field and wanted to charge my only battery in a charger (I refuse to buy another battery due to the crazy cost), I'd have to store the camera in a bag so the battery compartment isn't open to the elements. They could have designed this better really; perhaps the accessories are outsourced and designed elsewhere as they don't always feel like the designers actually use these products
  • The lack of buttons and fancy features is so welcoming. I owned an E-M mkiii Olympus for a while, which I bought because it had a 'hand-held hi resolution image" feature. EVERY time I shot a landscape I forgot to switch this on, and in the end I sold the camera as it just had too many bells and whistles, even for an IT guy like myself. It was incredible don't get me wrong, but more of a very well weather-sealed and tough computer than a camera to me
  • The Leica fotos app is a bit rubbish but I love the fact the bluetooth works well for GPS tagging of my images
  • Coming from a Ricoh GRiii, the Q2 is large, but after using an M system, it's nice and neat, and not as heavy
  • The square hood is great for keeping rain drops from hitting the lens
  • The ergonomics aren't brilliant; somebody here recommended a hand grip and at first I wasn't sure, but I may consider it in the future
  • The EVF is superb as long as your eye is close. If you need to angle the camera slightly it can blur the image in the viewfinder, but I know the focus is bang on, so it's still a sharp result, but just doesn't look it to the eye in the EVF
  • I miss not being able to charge the battery via a camera port, but I've purchased a separate USB charger and this is okay. If it means the camera is more of a sealed unit then I'll take that, but it does feel like a Q3 could improve here

Overall I'm just happy and impressed with the output, feel and fun factor of the Q2. If you're on the fence about whether to buy the Q or Q2, I personally would say the Q2 is my preferred option as I feel it's a more rounded product. If you're considering the Q2 against the M and were going to buy the 28mm lens, I see no point in the M in this scenario, but if you only shoot 50mm and above, then you know which to choose I guess.

This is a camera for maximising creativity. There's no gadgets to get in the way. It's just pure and paired back. A true Leica with a modern day twist; I really couldn't be happier at this point with my choice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

www.instagram.com/waynegoodmanphoto 

Edited by w44neg
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Nice summary and I enjoyed your photos. I agree with most of what you wrote, but I hope you don’t mind me challenging a few points:

- A second battery is worth every penny. Not being worried about a curtailed session just seems so important. It also solves your exposed battery compartment worry.

- You mention poor ergonomics and I agree. The grip, for me, totally transforms the Q2. It pairs so well with the holster, allows the camera to stand upright on a surface and feels so much more secure in the hand. I resisted one on my RX1RII for similar aesthetic reasons for a while and yet it helps the handling of both small cameras so much. The camera feels broken when I use it without now: I can’t recommend it enough!

- The EVF is nice....but don’t go looking through a SL2-S. It’s perhaps not helped that I have a 90mm on my SL2-S vs the 28mm on my Q2. Everything looks so BIG!

- Agree about the cropping. The ESC compression factor means it’s only handy to keep resolution when I’m too lazy to walk nearer!

I remain disappointed with the indoor lower light shots and that’s what’s caused me to drop $$$$ on a SL2-S. But when outside with the dog, the Q2 with grip in its holster is so convenient and a rewarding setup.

Edited by paul.bridges.3388
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

Nice summary and I enjoyed your photos. I agree with most of what you wrote, but I hope you don’t mind me challenging a few points:

- A second battery is worth every penny. Not being worried about a curtailed session just seems so important. It also solves your exposed battery compartment worry.

- You mention poor ergonomics and I agree. The grip, for me, totally transforms the Q2. It pairs so well with the holster, allows the camera to stand upright on a surface and feels so much more secure in the hand. I resisted one on my RX1RII for similar aesthetic reasons for a while and yet it helps the handling of both small cameras so much. The camera feels broken when I use it without now: I can’t recommend it enough!

- The EVF is nice....but don’t go looking through a SL2-S. It’s perhaps not helped that I have a 90mm on my SL2-S vs the 28mm on my Q2. Everything looks so BIG!

- Agree about the cropping. The ESC compression factor means it’s only handy to keep resolution when I’m too lazy to walk nearer!

I remain disappointed with the indoor lower light shots and that’s what’s caused me to drop $$$$ on a SL2-S. But when outside with the dog, the Q2 with grip in its holster is so convenient and a rewarding setup.

Thanks Paul. I know what you're saying about the battery, and I know I've just spent a huge amount on the camera and case, but I honestly feel that Leica should have just used a better battery in the first place. To then charge £120 or so for a separate one is like a kick in the teeth a little as I'd only be buying because the performance of the battery isn't so great. 99% of other cameras haver better performance in this respect, but hopefully the battery life increases as I cycle it, and then I don't need to consider a second one anyway.. Time will tell.

I'll definitely look in to the grip. I just don't want the camera to become much larger.

I'm not considering an SL series camera at all. If I add anything at all, it would be a Leica S 006 or if I could find one cheap enough, it would be a 007. That and a 70mm lens would be a superb companion to the Q2 I think. I don't need low light high ISO so much personally as I don't really shoot people too much, but if I do try astro at some point, I may want more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curious2 said:

An excellent write up, thanks for taking the time. I also love my Q2 but have bought a a CL to compliment it when I need a longer lens. But the Q2 remains the go to camera.

Thank you for your kind reply. The CL is so tempting, but my dream is an S series camera. A CL would complicate my mind a little too much and make me have to choose when I bring out the Q2, whereas the size of the S series would force me to take both, and only choose the S with a longer lens when I absolutely "must" shoot such an image. I think it's just the way my mind works, but I hate too many options that are easily at hand. Life should offer a thought-out choice some times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, w44neg said:

Thanks Paul. I know what you're saying about the battery, and I know I've just spent a huge amount on the camera and case, but I honestly feel that Leica should have just used a better battery in the first place. To then charge £120 or so for a separate one is like a kick in the teeth a little as I'd only be buying because the performance of the battery isn't so great. 99% of other cameras haver better performance in this respect, but hopefully the battery life increases as I cycle it, and then I don't need to consider a second one anyway.. Time will tell.

I'll definitely look in to the grip. I just don't want the camera to become much larger.

I'm not considering an SL series camera at all. If I add anything at all, it would be a Leica S 006 or if I could find one cheap enough, it would be a 007. That and a 70mm lens would be a superb companion to the Q2 I think. I don't need low light high ISO so much personally as I don't really shoot people too much, but if I do try astro at some point, I may want more.

I would also recommend a second battery - I never feel comfortable going out without a spare in my pocket.

I'm not a fan of the Fotos App for the Q2.  With the M you can link it to your iPhone (or iPad) and continue taking photos in the normal way - it's like having a tethered option.  Can't do that with the Q2, the only option is to use the remote.  I just find that clunky!

More important . . . what Lotus do you have?  I've had two Elise and a 340R.  Here is a photo of my last Elise - the Jim Clark 25 Edition.  How I regret selling that.  You'll see from the number plate where I chose my forum name!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

I would also recommend a second battery - I never feel comfortable going out without a spare in my pocket.

I'm not a fan of the Fotos App for the Q2.  With the M you can link it to your iPhone (or iPad) and continue taking photos in the normal way - it's like having a tethered option.  Can't do that with the Q2, the only option is to use the remote.  I just find that clunky!

More important . . . what Lotus do you have?  I've had two Elise and a 340R.  Here is a photo of my last Elise - the Jim Clark 25 Edition.  How I regret selling that.  You'll see from the number plate where I chose my forum name!

Pretty sure I recognise that car from the forums. I'm sure your current cars more than make up for one of the above though.

Here's mine... image shot with my first Q2 😅

Edited by w44neg
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, w44neg said:

To what extent has your battery charge suffered for the cold this week? Just the battery is pretty good with the Q2, in my experience. It really ought to be no problem with your landscape photography, assuming you’re not reviewing the shots a lot. But cold can limit charge hold quite dramatically and I guess your camera’s been quite exposed in the holster.

Edited by paul.bridges.3388

1 minute ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

To what extent has your battery charge suffered for the cold this week? Just the battery is pretty good with the Q2, in my experience. It really ought to be no problem with your landscape photography, assuming you’re not reviewing the shots a lot. But cold can limit charge hold quite dramatically and I guess your camera’s been quite exposed in the holster.

Yeah that's a good point Paul. I found it wasn't great with my last Q2 to be honest though. Don't get me wrong, it's good enough, but I've found that the M lasts longer, and even Sony have massively improved their game with battery life these days. In Sweden at -20 degrees my Olympus E-M1.2 would last all day, even in to the second day with hundreds of shots; I expect the Q2 will be a very different story when I next get back there, so I would have to buy a second battery for that trip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, w44neg said:

I'm sure your current cars more than make up for one of the above though.

You could be right 🙂

• Like 3

21 hours ago, T25UFO said:

New here. I visited the local Leica store yesterday.  I was told that you *can* tether your iPhone to the Q2. Perhaps it was a firmware update?  Thanks 

4 hours ago, Goalasso said:

New here. I visited the local Leica store yesterday.  I was told that you *can* tether your iPhone to the Q2. Perhaps it was a firmware update?  Thanks 

Maybe a different definition of tethered.  You can connect the Q2 and take photos while it is connected but only by using the Remote button on the iPhone (or iPad).  You can’t use the shutter release on the camera.  
With the M you can use the camera’s shutter release and the photo then appears on the phone’s screen.  At least, that’s how it works with my camera.  My Q2 has the latest firmware.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:18 PM, T25UFO said:

Cool plate! Nice car!

Edited by Guest
wanted to add image