M10R files washed out when exported from lightroom to photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else getting this? 

When I export an M10-R file from lightroom to photoshop (click edit in photoshop) the file is completely washed out, like the contrast has been reduced dramatically. 

I'm not getting this with the M10-M or any of my other cameras, only the M10-R. 

I have updated all of my lightroom / photoshop / camera raw etc and the problem persists. 

Is this an issue with how either photoshop or lightroom is handling the M10R DNG files? 

What exactly do you mean by "washed out?" Too light? Not enough saturation (colors too gray or pale)?

What are your External Editing Preferences in LR? https://www.lightroompresets.com/blogs/pretty-presets-blog/15341937-taking-images-from-lightroom-to-photoshop

Have you made sure your color spaces are synced? In LR - in the export prefs - and as your working space in PS. I.E. all three are Adobe 1998, or all three are ProPhoto?

Are you aware that when you export to Photoshop, you are no longer working with the original .DNG data? The export process makes a copy of the data as an RGB picture (TIFF, jpg etc.) for use in Photoshop.

Edited by adan

Sorry yes I should have been clearer - same colour space (prophoto) and all working and export settings are correct. Files from all my other cameras are fine (including other Leicas). It’s only the files from the M10-R that are having this issue when I send them to photoshop to continue editing. 

If it was happening with files from other cameras I would assume an issue on my end, but to see it only on files from the M10R seems strange to me. 

They significantly lack contrast when the open in Photoshop, so it takes a large adjustment with a curves layer to bring that contrast back into the imported image. Washed out / flat is the best way to describe it and it’s not by a minor amount, it’s immediately noticeable on any screen but I edit mostly on an Eizo calibrated monitor. 

If no-one else is noticing this then I can only conclude that it’s an issue on my end. Updating to the latest photoshop and lightroom versions this morning did not solve the issue. 

Edited by Stevejack

Transferring from LR to PS does seem susceptible to memory problems, even when there is bucketloads of memory available.

I had problems for a while with PS refusing (most of the time but not all) to open various raw files from LR, saying there was insufficient memory to process the request. After a lot of digging around I stumbled across a suggestion that it might be to do with a user-defined workspace in PS. I was using one that I had set up years ago for photo editing. I switched from that to the standard "Photography" workspace (in PS under Window -> Workspace pulldown) and it woks fine. And is almost exactly the same as the one I had defined :)

Something to try if you are using a custom workspace.

John

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m not getting any memory issues, and transferring M10 monochrom 40mp files gives me no problem, the 67mp files from the Sony A7R4 are fine, and also sending 100mp files into PS from LR from another camera is all fine. 

I will try the workspace tip shortly, but I’m really perplexed as to why the M10-R files are the only ones having the issue. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok I think I've narrowed this down.... when using any of the RNI All Films 5 presets I get this issue where the files are washed out when exported into Photoshop. 

If I export the lightroom file as a .tif and then open it in Photoshop it's all fine, but when I send it straight to photoshop from lightroom to continue editing, this issue appears. It must be a bug with the film profiles. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 12:03 AM, Stevejack said:

Ok I think I've narrowed this down.... when using any of the RNI All Films 5 presets I get this issue where the files are washed out when exported into Photoshop. 

If I export the lightroom file as a .tif and then open it in Photoshop it's all fine, but when I send it straight to photoshop from lightroom to continue editing, this issue appears. It must be a bug with the film profiles. 

It seems to be a bug in recent photoshop. I saw it on my Windows machine. If your preset includes smart profiles with lookup table then "open in photoshop" is not working correctly and loses parts of the profile. So better use just "Export" with "open in Photoshop" option as a post-action.

Thanks guys, I actually got a response from support and should have updated this thread. Their reply is below;

That sounds like a known Adobe bug introduced in Lightroom 10 / Photoshop 2021. There were some topics in the Adobe Community Support forum about this issue, please check this one for example: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/edit-in-photoshop-no-longer-includes-lightroom-adjustments/m-p/11526505?page=1

We've never experienced this phenomenon for ourselves. Right now I can do "Edit to Photoshop" on any of our test machines and it works just fine. But some of our customers have reported it to us after upgrading to Lightroom 10 & Photoshop 2021 indeed.

The best thing you can do about it is to get in touch with your Adobe support contact and raise it with their engineers quoting the following: "creative profiles with lookup tables in them are not applied correctly when using the Edit in Photoshop command". 

This seems to be a rare or intermittent issue, likely only happening to some particular combinations of the operating system and LR/PS build, so the more reports the Adobe folks get, the more likely they are to give it a higher priority.

In the meantime we recommend all our affected customers not to use the Edit in Photoshop command and use File / Export with the Open in Photoshop option instead (screenshot: https://take.ms/HC75T)

Hope that helps

M1 Macs with 8GB of RAM seem to be struggling with Photoshop. I get heavy memory usage nearly every time I use Photoshop on either my M1 MacBook Air or Mac Mini. I rather wish I had waited to get a 16GB version of the MacBook Air but delivery was being quoted as late March/early April against next day for an 8GB version and as my Macbook pro was away for repair at the time, I needed an immediate replacement. I don't know if the latest version of Photoshop 22.3.0 runs natively on M1 Macs or if this is still running via Rosetta 2. 

Wilson

PS I have just checked and this latest PS update does run natively on an M1 Mac. Does't seem to have resolved the heavy memory usage issue however. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

On 3/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, wlaidlaw said:

PS I have just checked and this latest PS update does run natively on an M1 Mac. Does't seem to have resolved the heavy memory usage issue however. 

Be aware that if you use 3rd party plugins they may not be available when running natively. I use the Exposure film plugin, it’s there if I’m running Photoshop under Rosetta, but disappears if I run Photoshop natively. Exposure have confirmed this is an issue with the plugin and will be releasing an updated version soon.