M1 MacMini 16 GB RAM, 512GB ot 1TB SSD?

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Michael-IIIf said:

My experience:

I decided to get the absolute minimum (256GB/8GB RAM) because it was on immediate delivery, and any increase in spec was on a longer lead-in and my home-schooling daughter urgently needed a machine. My thinking was influenced by one of the (countless) YouTube reviews I watched which reasoned the entry level model is so well priced that you can risk running it for a while and selling it used for a reasonable chunk of what you paid when you want to upgrade, plus you get the benefit of its warranty and then the warranty on the upgraded machine in the future. 

256GB is just about bearable.

There is enough space for the OS and all the apps etc but what I wasn't expecting was how big our home directories are WITHOUT data. I agonised about doing a clean build or using Migration Assistant and in the end opted for MA to ensure serial numbers and licences were copied across (they were), I left my DropBox files and my iCloud files in their respective clouds, photos and music are elsewhere, but I wasn't expecting my ~/Library/ folder copied across turned out to be 71GB, my daughter's 31GB and my wife's something similar. I have no idea what makes them so large but the problem with using Migration Assistant is it has doubtless pulled loads of redundant preference files which accumulated on my old iMac over the years. I tried doing a cull of the more obvious redundant ones but deleting stuff from the ~/Libarary/ folder is playing with fire.

In summary:-

• Do a clean install if you can.

• Avoid making it multi-user if you can.

• Go for the 512GB if you can.

And get all the data on an external disk (or two ;) ) The Samsung SSDs are miniscule and quite affordable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...