Firmware update: Perspective correction for the Leica M10-P, M10-R and M10 Monochrom

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Camera has introduced new firmware versions for several cameras from the M10 family.

The most important innovation is the option to correct perspective distortions in the camera.

New firmware for the Leica M10-P, M10-R, and M10 Monochrom

Using computational imaging to correct perspective distortion

Wetzlar, January 29, 2021. The new firmware update for the camera models Leica M10-P, M10-R and M10 Monochrom introduces an exciting feature: the Leica Perspective Control function, abbreviated as LPC. Having installed the update, owners of the above-listed cameras are able to activate the Perspective Control function – which uses the camera’s integrated orientation sensors to recognise whether it is being held in a straight position, or tilted upwards or downwards. On the basis of this information, the function uses computational imaging to automatically correct receding lines – a common phenomenon that is especially bothersome in architectural photography. The term ‘computational imaging’ refers to the process of forming images with the aid of in-camera algorithms.

An auxiliary frame in the camera’s display shows how the image will be cropped in order to correct the perspective distortion. In the case of images recorded in DNG format, the raw data is stored unchanged while the corrections calculated by Perspective Control are written to the metadata. They are then applied automatically in Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop, or can optionally be discarded. For JPEG format images the correction occurs directly in the camera, and only the corrected image is stored.

In comparison to the manual distortion correction that is available as an alternative, Leica Perspective Control offers several advantages. Due to its automated nature, it is faster than the manual process. The ability to bring up an auxiliary frame of the corrected image prior to recording, as well as view corrected JPEG images immediately after they were captured, makes it significantly easier to determine the correct framing and most suitable lens. In addition, given that the corrections are based on the data collected by the camera’s orientation sensors (as opposed to the visible details of the captured image) it is also possible to rectify images that do not contain any straight lines.

To begin with, the new Leica Perspective Control function will be available for the camera models Leica M10-P, M10-R and M10 Monochrom. The firmware update containing this new feature can be downloaded free of charge at www.leica-camera.com, and installed by following the instructions provided.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

There are also M10 and M10-D firmware updates posted.  

I see it listed, but no information whatsoever. Is this normal that Leica posts firmware updates with no description or information? 

https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposite/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=139034&type=108942&language=93871

vor 6 Minuten schrieb LBJ2:

Is this normal that Leica posts firmware updates with no description or information? 

Usually not - though Leica is famous for surprising variants...

I updated my M10 (non-P, -R or -M) with the new firmware, though I could not find any differences. It seems you need a new 1:1.2 Noctilux to find them. 

3 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Usually not - though Leica is famous for surprising variants...

I updated my M10 (non-P, -R or -M) with the new firmware, though I could not find any differences. It seems you need a new 1:1.2 Noctilux to find them. 

Just wondering if this is a web/post mistake or an actual firmware update we can use for the base M10. Maybe best to wait until Leica explains what the update entails. Seems strange they would post a firmware update with no explanation. Maybe we will know more soon.

I found this Brochure:  Not a lot of info here other than "Lens Profiles" release notes. So maybe as someone else posted the firmware for the M10 adds the new Noctilux 50 1,2 ?

EN_M10_GEN FW-UPD [LENS PROFILE] RELEASE NOTES Date: 01/28/2021Format: PDF (57.68 kB

https://us.leica-camera.com/Corposite/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=139034&type=93705&language=93871

Edited by LBJ2

The firmware update installation instructions has this info:

Displaying the auxiliary frame:  Select the function “Upright” > “With Auxiliary Lines” to display the cropping frame calculated by the camera. Deactivate that function via “Upright” > “Off” if a correction is not desired.  Automatic display of the corrected version:  The relevant presets for handling images in RAW file format must be configured if you want Lightroom or Photoshop Camera RAW to display the images with the results of Perspective Control when a file is opened. https://helpx.adobe.com/en/photoshop/kb/acr-raw-defaults.html   Select>“Camera Settings” as the RAW default setting

However, the Upright function in the current version of Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 doesn't have the "With Auxiliary Lines" option, and so, after importing into LR Classic 10.1.1, the file reverts to its uncorrected state.

26 minutes ago, erudolph said:

The firmware update installation instructions has this info:

Displaying the auxiliary frame:  Select the function “Upright” > “With Auxiliary Lines” to display the cropping frame calculated by the camera. Deactivate that function via “Upright” > “Off” if a correction is not desired.  Automatic display of the corrected version:  The relevant presets for handling images in RAW file format must be configured if you want Lightroom or Photoshop Camera RAW to display the images with the results of Perspective Control when a file is opened. https://helpx.adobe.com/en/photoshop/kb/acr-raw-defaults.html   Select>“Camera Settings” as the RAW default setting

However, the Upright function in the current version of Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 doesn't have the "With Auxiliary Lines" option, and so, after importing into LR Classic 10.1.1, the file reverts to its uncorrected state.

I participated in testing a beta version of what is now the official Perspective Correction.  I think the text in the updated instructions was developed at that time (but there may have been updates).  We could only make the corrections happen at that point in ACR/photoshop. but not in LightRoom.  So please indicate what works as described in the various versions of LR that are currently in use -- Classic, CC, etc.  I think it will be helpful.  By the end of the beta session, we were all still learning how to use the results.  But we liked the new feature.

Also, I think seeing the scene with the PC frame floating in front of you (on the VF020 especially) changes the feeling of shooting with a wide angle lens.  I am looking forward to hearing how others react to this new way of viewing.

If the perspective control is working like in the demo video I watched when following the link, it is a cool feature for knowing which parts of the photo would be cut off when applying perspective control afterwards. Nevertheless, you may still have the full DNG. This is important, as 100% correction looks usually too artificial.

Of course, this is not a typical feature for rangefinder photography, but nice for wideangle applications.

I did not yet test the update by myself, however.

Edited by Robert Blanko

4 hours ago, UliWer said:

I updated my M10 (non-P, -R or -M) with the new firmware, though I could not find any differences.

I suspect it is only supported on the M10-P, M10-R, M10-Monochrome because those cameras have a tilt sensor that measure more than just portrait/landscape orientation as they support levelling lines in the EVF. This was enabled with an improved accelerometer which is not physically present on the original M10.

19 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I participated in testing a beta version of what is now the official Perspective Correction.  I think the text in the updated instructions was developed at that time (but there may have been updates).  We could only make the corrections happen at that point in ACR/photoshop. but not in LightRoom.  So please indicate what works as described in the various versions of LR that are currently in use -- Classic, CC, etc.  I think it will be helpful.  By the end of the beta session, we were all still learning how to use the results.  But we liked the new feature.

Also, I think seeing the scene with the PC frame floating in front of you (on the VF020 especially) changes the feeling of shooting with a wide angle lens.  I am looking forward to hearing how others react to this new way of viewing.

Thanks for this Scott!  I've tried opening a Perspective Controlled dng in ACR (with import preference set to Camera Settings rather than Adobe Default) and there is no option in the Guided portion except to "draw 2 or more lines."

Operationally, I found the perspective controlled frame in the viewfinder to be useful.

Edited by erudolph

45 minutes ago, Robert Blanko said:

If the perspective control is working like in the demo video I watched when following the link, it is a cool feature for knowing which parts of the photo would be cut off when applying perspective control afterwards. Nevertheless, you may still have the full DNG. This is important, as 100% correction looks usually too artificial.

Of course, this is not a typical feature for rangefinder photography, but nice for wideangle applications.

I did not yet test the update by myself, however.

Not seeing the link with the demo video. Can you please supply the link?

I followed this video (in German):

https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/Leica-M10-R/Technische-Einblicke .

However, LrC indeed does not seem to pick up the correction data from the DNGs via the GUIDED button. Correction works well in JPEGs though and the frame is a helpful tool even if you plan to correct via software in post. 

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

There are also silent updates (no notes) for M (240, 262, 246 etc). I posted most popular direct links in this thread.
No correcting the perspective distortions in camera for this generation of cameras...

There were some documents posted that indicated the change in those firmwares were to accommodate the new version of the  Noctilux 1.2, probably by recognizing a six-bit code and doing sone in -camera corrections.  Since the firmware grew in size by about a MB, there may be new tables added for this.  And, as always, bugs get silently fixed without saying their names out loud.

I have now updated an M10-P reporter to this firmware.

It is almost spooky how it looks in the  rear display with a distorted white rectangle moving around as one moves the angle of the camera.

Note: This seems to only work with Leica lenses. My non-Leica lenses displayed a RED rectangle full-on in the rear display.

I have yet to learn how to open up the RAW file perspective corrected in either LR or PS, but the jpeg shows up corrected no problem. There must be a switch I'm overlooking.

The photo I attached is the basic shot, uncorrected on the left. The middle shot is using the old LR "auto" perspective correction. The right is a jpeg showing the new in-camera perspective correction, which to me is far superior to the middle version.

If someone tells me how to work on the RAW file in LR or PS I'd appreciate it.

Jack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5