Yes, Virginia-there are ugly Ferraris #2

John Z. Goriup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took me a full two years to find another example of what I consider a worthy candidate for the ugly Ferrari category. It's the oldest Ferrari still in the hands of the original owner, ( as of Aug. 2012, when these were taken ) who purchased this unique '56 250 GT Boano Convertible off the New York Car Show Ferrari display stand. Appearantly I'm not the only tiffs who thinks it's ugly, since Enzo personally discounted the car to U.S. $9500, since the buyer was one of Ferrari's best American customers.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The first 'ugly Ferrari '  I posted here, the gold painted 330 GTC, represented one man's vision,rthe nightclub owner who found fault with the original design of his car, whereas this thing was actually commissioned by the factory. Ferrari had not yet finalized his decision to have pininfarina be the preferred carrozzeria at the time, and wanted to give the upstart Boano organizations, who had just opened their doors the year before and had built several cars for Ferrari to pininfarina designs an opportunity to show off their own designs. In my opinion it was far from successful.

JZG

.........and the rear view, which I think is the main reason it qualifies as an ugly Ferrari 

JZG

13 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Proof that even the Italians get 'style' wrong sometimes!

It looks like it was designed to appeal to American buyers, with the tail fins and other 50's American car influences I can see. But it just doesn't work, although I still kind of like it for its quirky looks. 

When tempted by vulgar fashion rather than letting their innate sense of style prevail..........even the best can loose their way. There were 34 total 410 Ferrari Superamericas built, with this '57 model the only one entrusted to Scaglietti - perhaps not desecrated sufficiently to rate full ugly status, so lets just call it 'ugly 2.1'. The polished chrome and stainless steel details, terminating in those hideous screw-on machine-finished tail fins that don't even seem to fit the car at all certainly have no place on the 'top-of-the-line' Ferrari.

M9-P / Summicron Asph. IV

JZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...........and the inevitable rear view. How could they ?

JZG

• Like 1