Apo Summicron-sl 28

Daniel C.1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, an SL Summicron:

S1010773 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Slender said:

... The diffraction limit is so low (bravo, I respect that) that the lense basically starts to "soften" at f4 if not 2.8.... a limit that used to show at f11-16 on lesser lenses.... or a mere f8 on recent "good" leica lenses.

Agree.... (if Leica managed to sneak around diffraction constraints, I guess the engeneering team would be in for a Nobel Prize in physics 😉...) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, as SL Summicron:

This photo is illustrative of the general trend it seems. I wonder how well a very high quality, very small set of AF primes would sell. An f/4 set around the size of the Summilux-M, if it was possible, would be of interest to a lot of landscape shooters I would think.  

I like shooting large apertures so I’m happy with the Summicron SL size.  

2 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

And looming over them, an SL Summicron

Looming is the word.  "Bloated" is another one.  The SL lens is just a little bit smaller than the Elmarit-M 28mm and M camera combination 🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, an SL Summicron:

A bit off topic, but im curious to know how you combine the M10 and M10D? Is it really worth it to own both ? I find that I struggle to choose which to pick up lately, always going for the D in the end. 

Those are an M10-R and M10-D.  I use the -R with a 24 and the two Leica 50s (SL and SC). With the 24 because it has the perspective correction firmware and it's fun to watch the odd-angled frame float around.  The -D seems to go well with the 28, needing no extra viewfinder.  But that is just how I feel at the moment.  It can change.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

Those are an M10-R and M10-D.  I use the -R with a 24 and the two Leica 50s (SL and SC). With the 24 because it has the perspective correction firmware and it's fun to watch the odd-angled frame float around.  The -D seems to go well with the 28, needing no extra viewfinder.  But that is just how I feel at the moment.  It can change.

Agreed, I put the 28cron to the - D. And longer focal, 50 and higher to the M10 or SL2

Complete frame and a cropped version - just to show sharpness, bokeh, contrast. Sl28 @ f2 on SL2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, rim_light said:

Complete frame and a cropped version - just to show sharpness, bokeh, contrast. Sl28 @ f2 on SL2

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack I suppose posted photos are free to comment and repost (link) here on LUF, but if I in any way made a mistake, please contact me and I will delete my message immediately. I really like your reviews and find them very helpful. I'm torn between SL35 vs 28 and flare+distortion properties are very important to me... that's why I ask.

3 hours ago, Cobram said:

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack I suppose posted photos are free to comment and repost (link) here on LUF, but if I in any way made a mistake, please contact me and I will delete my message immediately. I really like your reviews and find them very helpful. I'm torn between SL35 vs 28 and flare+distortion properties are very important to me... that's why I ask.

i got a ziess 28mm M mount that distorts just like that on the SL2 sensor 

i'm a bit cautious with leica as they lied openly about eye auto focus and i suspect they have done the same with the micro lenses claim 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cobram said:

@jonoslack

The distortion bottom left seems to me like the distortion seen in any image using a wide angle lens tilted upwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hillavoider said:

i got a ziess 28mm M mount that distorts just like that on the SL2 sensor 

i'm a bit cautious with leica as they lied openly about eye auto focus and i suspect they have done the same with the micro lenses claim 

What makes you think they lie about micro lenses? The performance of wider M lenses is clearly better on digital M and SL cameras than other brands. Tests are available that prove this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LD_50 said:

What makes you think they lie about micro lenses? The performance of wider M lenses is clearly better on digital M and SL cameras than other brands. Tests are available that prove this. 

I confirm this too, for having extensively tested it (in real life). 

Deep inside though, I do hope that the A1 will turn things around. At least with my 28 lux. But not too much hope. 

• Thanks 1