Jump to content

Apo Summicron-sl 28


Daniel C.1975
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, an SL Summicron:

S1010773 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

 

 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slender said:

... The diffraction limit is so low (bravo, I respect that) that the lense basically starts to "soften" at f4 if not 2.8.... a limit that used to show at f11-16 on lesser lenses.... or a mere f8 on recent "good" leica lenses.

Agree.... (if Leica managed to sneak around diffraction constraints, I guess the engeneering team would be in for a Nobel Prize in physics 😉...) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, as SL Summicron:

S1010773 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

 

 

This photo is illustrative of the general trend it seems. I wonder how well a very high quality, very small set of AF primes would sell. An f/4 set around the size of the Summilux-M, if it was possible, would be of interest to a lot of landscape shooters I would think.  

I like shooting large apertures so I’m happy with the Summicron SL size.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

We've come a long way...

These three lenses all do the same thing -- put a 28 mm image onto a full frame chip.  (I don't have the SL 28 (yet) but the 35 is the same size and uses the same lens hood.  On the lower left, an M Elmarit-asph 28.  On the lower right, an M Summilux 28.  And looming over them, an SL Summicron:

S1010773 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

 

 

A bit off topic, but im curious to know how you combine the M10 and M10D? Is it really worth it to own both ? I find that I struggle to choose which to pick up lately, always going for the D in the end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are an M10-R and M10-D.  I use the -R with a 24 and the two Leica 50s (SL and SC). With the 24 because it has the perspective correction firmware and it's fun to watch the odd-angled frame float around.  The -D seems to go well with the 28, needing no extra viewfinder.  But that is just how I feel at the moment.  It can change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 2 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

Those are an M10-R and M10-D.  I use the -R with a 24 and the two Leica 50s (SL and SC). With the 24 because it has the perspective correction firmware and it's fun to watch the odd-angled frame float around.  The -D seems to go well with the 28, needing no extra viewfinder.  But that is just how I feel at the moment.  It can change.

Agreed, I put the 28cron to the - D. And longer focal, 50 and higher to the M10 or SL2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Complete frame and a cropped version - just to show sharpness, bokeh, contrast. Sl28 @ f2 on SL2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rim_light said:

Complete frame and a cropped version - just to show sharpness, bokeh, contrast. Sl28 @ f2 on SL2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack I suppose posted photos are free to comment and repost (link) here on LUF, but if I in any way made a mistake, please contact me and I will delete my message immediately. I really like your reviews and find them very helpful. I'm torn between SL35 vs 28 and flare+distortion properties are very important to me... that's why I ask.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cobram said:

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack I suppose posted photos are free to comment and repost (link) here on LUF, but if I in any way made a mistake, please contact me and I will delete my message immediately. I really like your reviews and find them very helpful. I'm torn between SL35 vs 28 and flare+distortion properties are very important to me... that's why I ask.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

 

 

i got a ziess 28mm M mount that distorts just like that on the SL2 sensor 

 

i'm a bit cautious with leica as they lied openly about eye auto focus and i suspect they have done the same with the micro lenses claim 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cobram said:

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The distortion bottom left seems to me like the distortion seen in any image using a wide angle lens tilted upwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, hillavoider said:

 

 

i got a ziess 28mm M mount that distorts just like that on the SL2 sensor 

 

i'm a bit cautious with leica as they lied openly about eye auto focus and i suspect they have done the same with the micro lenses claim 

What makes you think they lie about micro lenses? The performance of wider M lenses is clearly better on digital M and SL cameras than other brands. Tests are available that prove this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LD_50 said:

What makes you think they lie about micro lenses? The performance of wider M lenses is clearly better on digital M and SL cameras than other brands. Tests are available that prove this. 

I confirm this too, for having extensively tested it (in real life). 

Deep inside though, I do hope that the A1 will turn things around. At least with my 28 lux. But not too much hope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...