Apo Summicron-sl 28

Daniel C.1975

5 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

It was a talk of Peter Karbe in December, 2019 at Leica Wetzlar. I was fortunately able to be in the audience.

Nice! Seeing how there are more similarities between the 28 and 24 as compared to the 21, my guess is that the 21 will be the last of the family to be released.

22 hours ago, hansvons said:

The thing about big names and gear is, they are proof that gear comes least. Or not entirely, like in Steve McCurry's case. His work is journalistic, meaning he goes for storytelling in real-world, non-staged settings and environments. He's there where the unknown is happening. He feeds from the moment and his ability to find that moment, take part and capture it. His photography is not polishing surfaces but about the search for a possible meaning of life. Obviously, he relies on flexible gear. I'm guessing here, but I think he doesn't want to sacrifice the moment for a "wrong" framing only because he's tied to a specific focal length. Thus a zoom is his natural lens. As I've read, he used several brands for his work. His most famous shot, the Afghan Girl, wasn't shot with a Leica, AFAIK. At that time, most photojournalists stopped using Leica for more than a decade, due to the many reasons we all know. 

Both have their place. The 28mm will be a necessary addition to a rounded out Leica SL prime kit, completed by the 24mm later in the year. A 21mm is, in my opinion, already a speciality lens, YMMV. Personally, I'm thinking of getting a 24-90 because I'm doing every here and then documentary driven work that requires flexibility and fast turnarounds. But for portraits and moody shots a 50mm SL is high on my list.

I am not saying that Steve is bad photographer or even less bad person, but for sure his work is not (photo)journalistic. His not saying that by himself either. Also saying ”His photography is not polishing surfaces” is simply misleading. See for example: https://petapixel.com/2016/05/26/photoshopped-photos-emerge-steve-mccurry-scandal/

If after all-this-something-not-meant-for-bashing someone still wants to see finnish photojournalistic work taken with Summilux-SL and Q1, feel free to check my portfolio:

https://www.mikaelrydenfelt.com

Stay safe!

7 hours ago, beewee said:

Nice! Seeing how there are more similarities between the 28 and 24 as compared to the 21, my guess is that the 21 will be the last of the family to be released.

The 21mm cross section definitely looks the least mature of all the lenses. The lens mounts on lens elements 2 and 7, counting from the front element, is completely missing in the slide.

Am 10.2.2021 um 02:22 schrieb Steven:

Constant f2.8, not stabilized, half the size of the 24-90

and it's already there! 28-70 confirmed! constant 2,8 confirmed!

But it will be a Sigma contemporary lens:

https://photorumors.com/2021/02/13/coming-soon-new-sigma-28-70mm-f-2-8-dg-dn-contemporary-lens/

😀

(if both rumors are true we will habe a choice; it seems a compact 28-870/2,8 is very popular this year)

On 2/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, Nowhereman said:

Fair enough, but consider Daido Moriyama, who had a dazzling exhibition, called Tokyo Color,  at the Cartier Foundation in Paris in 2016, which had large prints of 150x100cm (60x40 inches). These were shot with small Japanese P&S cameras. He currently shoots, according to Japanese websites, with the Nikon Coolpix S7000, a discontinued P&S camera with a 1/ 2.3 inch sensor, 16 MP, a 25-500mm EFOV zoom lens that produces only JPGs. Here is a quote from a January 2021 article on a Japanese website: I once interviewed Daido Moriyama about the Ricoh GR. The last thing he said to me was "Akagi-san, when you meet someone from Ricoh, tell them to put a zoom lens on the GR". I asked him, "What? When I asked him why he said that, he responded with a wry smile, "Because a zoom lens is convenient." Well, there was no way I could argue with a legend of the photography world...By the way, Daido Moriyama's favorite camera now is the COOLPIX S7000. If you are interested in it, please look it up (laugh).

A year or two ago, tokyocamerastyle mentioned that Daido was shooting with a Sony RX0, a 1" sensor camera with a fixed 24mm f4 equivalent lens. Interesting that he's moved back to the Nikon zoom compacts. In much earlier interviews, he has said that he has never bought a camera, but has only shot with cameras that were given to him! I do have to admit that zooms just make life easier.

Edited by Archiver

19 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

and it's already there! 28-70 confirmed! constant 2,8 confirmed!

But it will be a Sigma contemporary lens:

https://photorumors.com/2021/02/13/coming-soon-new-sigma-28-70mm-f-2-8-dg-dn-contemporary-lens/

😀

(if both rumors are true we will habe a choice; it seems a compact 28-870/2,8 is very popular this year)

Forum sources have indicated a Leica SL 28-70 f2.8 zoom, likely by Summer.  Discussion in various other threads. 

Jeff