Apo Summicron-sl 28

Daniel C.1975

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Steven:

around 5K euros

So the standard price. I would really like to be part of the pricing team. 

Wetzler, at a nice late afternoon:

"Hey guys, this the new lens. Performance, lots of R&D, not cheap to produce ... jadajadajada... we need to define the sales price" 

... a few whistlings, big silence ...

"Hmm, you know, that sounds complicated, you know ... all this MBA-stuff and marketing-stuff, huh! and than even margin calculations! Yikes!  .. And it's late and my wife plans for a nice dinner tonight."

.... silence ... "Yep, my husband was also planning a surprise, you know, we have our annual" .. "Hey cool! Congratulations!" ... "Yes, congrats" ...

"Hmm, you know what. Let's just say 5k" ....

"You mean 5k straight? not 4.8k or 5.2k ...?"  ....

"Yes"

"Yep, that's cool. Fits for me - anyone against 5k straight?"  ..."nope", "nope" "works for me", "all good"

"Ok, decided - I inform management tomorrow that after thorough market, cost and margin analysis we came to the calculated market sweet spot of 5k straight, and to not sound too opulent we  could make it 4990 Euro - they'll love it." 

Gute Nacht John Boy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Cobram said:

Considering Sigma 28-70 costs 1000 euro...and new MF Voigtlander lenses also 1000 EUR + adapter... the new Leica shall perform marvellously if they want to convince average L mount users ( Leica junkies excluded☺️  ).

It probably will. 

Just like the 35 f2 SL vs the 35 f2 sigma. Noble attempt by sigma, but not allowed to be even compared to the APO...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

It probably will. 

Just like the 35 f2 SL vs the 35 f2 sigma. Noble attempt by sigma, but not allowed to be even compared to the APO...

I agree with you about 35 options. Summicron shines. 

Maybe it is just me, but don't know why, I always associate zoom lenses with vacations, easy family shots ... not really for artistic, high quality photography stuff.

And in this regard I think Sigma zoom is a valid option. 
I agree with you, for serious work there are Leica primes and 24-90. 

Can you imagine: Sl2s + mini leica zoom. nice combo for (non photographic😊)vacations.

btw I'm also a Leica junkie😅 and at the end I will very likely buy this new Leica lens. 🤣

Edited by Cobram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Cobram said:

Maybe it is just me, but don't know why, I always associate zoom lenses with vacations, easy family shots ... not really for artistic, high quality photography stuff.

I am personally exclusively a prime guy, but You need to change your mind on this. Here's a place to start. Steve McCurry. Leica SL2 + 24-90. That's it. 

He used to carry a 105 for portraits, but not since he moved to Leica. He owns the 90-280 but only goes out with the 24-90. Fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Steve McCurry is an outstanding photographer.

And what I also really like is the fact that with his handicap he is not saying „Meh, meh, meh, I now need a small and light camera“. Nope, he is just engineering something rough but fitting to be able to use the camera he wants to use for his work and is developing a special holding and shooting technique over it. Love it!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Steven said:

I am personally exclusively a prime guy, but You need to change your mind on this. Here's a place to start. Steve McCurry. Leica SL2 + 24-90. That's it. 

He used to carry a 105 for portraits, but not since he moved to Leica. He owns the 90-280 but only goes out with the 24-90. Fact. 

Thank you Steven for this insight.

Yes I agree, 24-90 is not typical zoom lens 🙂 In fact I agree with many photographers who claim 24-90 quality can rival prime lenses. And McCurry is the best proof.

@Daniel C.1975 Reading your comment I was a little bit angry to myself 🙂 Because I'm always complaining about the size of the camera.  I think I'm just too spoiled and lazy... and I want small size, high iso,... but at the end McCurry give us evidence that everything is possible. We just need to work hard.

Anyway: smaller L Leica zoom for 3-4k euro will be very interesting option. 5k is essagerated price... IMHO.

• Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Cobram:

Thank you Steven for this insight.

Yes I agree, 24-90 is not typical zoom lens 🙂 In fact I agree with many photographers who claim 24-90 quality can rival prime lenses. And McCurry is the best proof.

@Daniel C.1975 Reading your comment I was a little bit angry to myself 🙂 Because I'm always complaining about the size of the camera.  I think I'm just too spoiled and lazy... and I want small size, high iso,... but at the end McCurry give us evidence that everything is possible. We just need to work hard.

Anyway: smaller L Leica zoom for 3-4k euro will be very interesting option. 5k is essagerated price... IMHO.

Indeed -the SL Vario 24/90 can rival R- and (most of) M- prime lenses, but Leica's SL Apo-Summicrons are in another league. Let's say the SL Varios (esp.16/35 & 90/280) are really outstanding, but e.g. SL 35 or 90 are just "unearthly" and, with regard to their resolving power, future-proof...

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:58 AM, Cobram said:

And in this regard I think Sigma zoom is a valid option. 

I agree with you, for serious work there are Leica primes and 24-90. 

Can you imagine: Sl2s + mini leica zoom. nice combo for (non photographic😊)vacations.

In Australia, the SL2-S is currently being offered as a kit with the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 L mount. And that's at the local Leica boutique!

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, Steven said:

The thing about big names and gear is, they are proof that gear comes least. Or not entirely, like in Steve McCurry's case. His work is journalistic, meaning he goes for storytelling in real-world, non-staged settings and environments. He's there where the unknown is happening. He feeds from the moment and his ability to find that moment, take part and capture it. His photography is not polishing surfaces but about the search for a possible meaning of life. Obviously, he relies on flexible gear. I'm guessing here, but I think he doesn't want to sacrifice the moment for a "wrong" framing only because he's tied to a specific focal length. Thus a zoom is his natural lens. As I've read, he used several brands for his work. His most famous shot, the Afghan Girl, wasn't shot with a Leica, AFAIK. At that time, most photojournalists stopped using Leica for more than a decade, due to the many reasons we all know. 

Both have their place. The 28mm will be a necessary addition to a rounded out Leica SL prime kit, completed by the 24mm later in the year. A 21mm is, in my opinion, already a speciality lens, YMMV. Personally, I'm thinking of getting a 24-90 because I'm doing every here and then documentary driven work that requires flexibility and fast turnarounds. But for portraits and moody shots a 50mm SL is high on my list.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman
On 2/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, Cobram said:

...Maybe it is just me, but don't know why, I always associate zoom lenses with vacations, easy family shots ... not really for artistic, high quality photography stuff...

Fair enough, but consider Daido Moriyama, who had a dazzling exhibition, called Tokyo Color,  at the Cartier Foundation in Paris in 2016, which had large prints of 150x100cm (60x40 inches). These were shot with small Japanese P&S cameras. He currently shoots, according to Japanese websites, with the Nikon Coolpix S7000, a discontinued P&S camera with a 1/ 2.3 inch sensor, 16 MP, a 25-500mm EFOV zoom lens that produces only JPGs. Here is a quote from a January 2021 article on a Japanese website: I once interviewed Daido Moriyama about the Ricoh GR. The last thing he said to me was "Akagi-san, when you meet someone from Ricoh, tell them to put a zoom lens on the GR". I asked him, "What? When I asked him why he said that, he responded with a wry smile, "Because a zoom lens is convenient." Well, there was no way I could argue with a legend of the photography world...By the way, Daido Moriyama's favorite camera now is the COOLPIX S7000. If you are interested in it, please look it up (laugh).

Edited by Nowhereman

6 hours ago, DrM said:

And when is “next”? The 21&24 are planned EOY.

M

6 hours ago, Steven said:

It was rumoured for Q2. I don't believe it will happen but I believe it will be 2021. 21/24 should be in 2022.

Sorry, I was referring to the leica 24-70/2.8. Is that happening in 2021..?