Apo Summicron-sl 28

Daniel C.1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, Cobram said:

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

@jonoslack I suppose posted photos are free to comment and repost (link) here on LUF, but if I in any way made a mistake, please contact me and I will delete my message immediately. I really like your reviews and find them very helpful. I'm torn between SL35 vs 28 and flare+distortion properties are very important to me... that's why I ask.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Cobram

First of all, you’re absolutely fine reposting, the images are up for discussion. 

Secondly, apologies for the delay in answering. It’s been a bit hectic around here. 

Thirdly, as others have said, I think that the distortion is just normal for the corner of a wide angle lens. What isn’t so normal is how sharp they are!

There are quite a lot more images in the associated Lightroom gallery. pretty sure there are some focused at infinity with medium aperture. 

Finally. thanks for the kind words about the articles. Makes it all worthwhile!

All the best

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hillavoider said:

i got a ziess 28mm M mount that distorts just like that on the SL2 sensor 

i'm a bit cautious with leica as they lied openly about eye auto focus and i suspect they have done the same with the micro lenses claim 

I don’t believe Leica ever claimed to have optimized their micro lenses on the SL series for rangefinder optics. They said consistently say that the M-camera is the best camera for M-lenses and they also do say they optimize the micro lenses of M camera sensors for M lenses. Leica also says the next best camera aside from an M-camera for M-lenses is an SL camera and the reason is because of the thinner sensor glass filter stack that is much thinner than other manufacturers.

Also Leica never said there was eye auto focus as others have mentioned. It’s iAF which is intelligent AF that dynamically go between AFs and AFc.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I wonder where you got the impression that Leica SL2 has eye AF. it has iAF and it has Face/Body detect.

Watch from 12 minutes

they claimed eye and face detection “you just have to trust them” https://m.dpreview.com/videos/5340480487/dpreview-tv-leica-sl2-hands-on-first-impressions

Edited by hillavoider

9 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

Watch from 12 minutes

they claimed eye and face detection “you just have to trust them” https://m.dpreview.com/videos/5340480487/dpreview-tv-leica-sl2-hands-on-first-impressions

DPReview claimed this. And the face detect does seem to act as DPReview reported, sometimes I would get the closest eye and sometimes the farthest in focus. I haven’t seen any Leica claims outside of including “face recognition.”

Leica’s SL2-S website clearly says “Face detection”.

That being said, Leica did mention that the upcoming SL2-S firmware update that will be available in Spring 2021 will include “Improved eye/face/head/body recognition and focus tracking”.

Edited by beewee
  • Thanks 1

So DPreview made that up? I’d put 100 dollars down on them being told it has eye auto focus at the launch just like all the sales people did at the Sydney launch and the Sydney store 

unfortunately they have covered their Lieing backsides very well, there is no mention of it online like you have pointed out 

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

And you still bought it 

I bought an SL2-S after testing the SL2 and owning an SL. Eye AF is not a feature of importance to me for what I shoot. If it were, I would have had a clear understanding the SL2 and SL2-S were not the best cameras for me. You somehow seem to be hung up on this, though I never was. 

All I know is that I did some corporate portrait session for most of the day last Friday, and I decided to trust face/body detect mode and iAF or AF-S so the viewfinder stays sharp all the time. All worked fine with accurate focus, a single miss on 93 shots, certainly because I got distracted whilst adjusting something.

I would be indeed cautious when using shallow DOF with low magnification focal length (lets say: you can missfocus from closest to furthest eye on a face when your subject is not facing you straight....  and not notice easily with a 35 f2 at a distance.... whereas if you are up close with a 90 you will see before pressing the shutter that the camera is not getting it right).

I heard before that the Face detect mode of Leica does detect the eyes (its a facial feature after all) but does not highlight those individualy, and therefore can induce the "far eye in focus" quirk more easily without the user noticing.

Sony A1 testers already complain it focuses on eyelashes most of the time. I also heard Canon R5 users complaining their cameras focus on the "deep inside of the eyes" 😜  on the contrary. I did not have any of those issues so far.... it's either OFF focus (completly, but thank god seldomly) or DEAD SPOT ON with my SL2 when it comes to face/eyes.

Never trust your camera to do all the hardwork, but given the right settings and conditions, the SL2 AF is deadly accurate. I wish ((american)) war planes would use such a system 🤯🤠🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Slender:

All I know is that I did some corporate portrait session for most of the day last Friday, and I decided to trust face/body detect mode and iAF or AF-S so the viewfinder stays sharp all the time. All worked fine with accurate focus, a single miss on 93 shots, certainly because I got distracted whilst adjusting something.

...same here - in a series of approx 200+ shots with the SL summicrons 50 and 90SL all at f2 iAF/AF-s was about 98% right - here are 2 examples:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 2/22/2021 at 10:32 AM, Cobram said:

I'm amazed by flare resistance. Can you post any photos at F5.6-F11 at infinity focus? My M Summicron 28 is very good at close focus distance and wide open but infinity rendering is not to my liking. I'm seriously considering SL2-s + SL35 or SL28 lens in the future. How about distortion at infinity/landscape/architectural shots? Any impression yet? 

Maybe it is just me, but from Jono beach photo it seems all people in the left corner are somehow distorted... 

Jono at the beach seems to be using f/2.0 (and probably electronic shutter) but his picture overlooking a distant highway and farms was taken at f/6.3 and is really sharp.

I noticed the leaning people at the left of one beach shot (but not at the right) and wondered if there was a contribution to this from the distortion correction that LightRoom applies when rendering the DNG with a small postprocessing correction.  Leica left a little bit of barrel distortion in this lens, which pushes things in at the corners, and there are three sorts of things that can easily be done about it.

A --  (the purist solution) just go with the pixels that you have got, don't correct anything, because that requires interpolation and possible loss of resolution.

B -- (Adobe's default) reverse the barrel distorition by pulling the image out at all corners, but then trim what you have done down to the original pixel resolution (you only get what you paid for).

C -- (The full Monty) keep all the stretched pixels, only trimming at the edges to make them straight and square.  This gives 50.5 M pixels rather than the original 46.7, a nice benefit.

I borrowed a few of Jono's DNGs and tried rendering them in Capture One, which lets you control this final step.  In particular, I was looking for any loss of resolution from the interpolation.  Didn't see any.  The distortion correction makes things in the corner a little larger and rotates the overall image slightly.  Here are two cropped examples, using method A (correction disabled)

J1010521 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and method C (fully expanded image)

J1010521 1 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and distortion doesn't explain the tilt in the two bathers on the left in Jono's picture that was taken from further away.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 2