Review: Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.2

jonoslack

vor 4 Stunden schrieb jonoslack:

Work started at Leica in 1957 on the production of aspherical elements: The first lens prototype produced in 1958  was the Summaron 35mm 1:2.8 ASPH This featured 2 Asph surfaces, but never went into production.

This is a very interesting and (for me) new information. Do you have any source for it? I am not asking because I have any doubts, just to hear more about the prototype.

(Perhaps the rumor that there will be also a new version of the Summaron might be read in a different light then...).

• Like 2

I am wondering if I should consider selling my 0.95 Noctilux and get a 1.2. I really have not used the Noctilux a whole lot over the 6 or 7 years I have owned it and as my hands become progressively more feeble, I find it a bit heavy and unbalanced on any M other than my M4-P with the big M4-2 motor winder, where you have a lot more body to hold. I suspect that the 1.2 might get a fair bit more use than the 0.95. My main user 50mm lens is a Summilux III e46 Special Edition, which has lovely rendition but is at or slightly beyond its resolution limit with my M10-R, which given it is a late 1980's design before digital cameras were a pixel in Leica's eye, is no surprise. You can definitely see softness in the corners at bigger apertures. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

I wonder why Leica is showing MTF at f1.3...?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

I wonder why Leica is showing MTF at f1.3...?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In Jono's review he writes:-

At f1.2 nothing is quite sharp, even in focus at the centre, by the edge of the frame it's very soft and there is quite a lot of vignetting. It doesn't sound so good, but it's actually rather a lovely dreamy look.

In the extended review on his website, click on 'More Pictures etc' link.  It is interesting to view (for example) images #53 (taken at f4) and image #54 (the same subject at f1.2).  Enlarge them both and see the difference - at f1.2 as Jono wrote "nothing is quite sharp."  A good enough example to eradicate any thoughts of "should I exchange my f1 v4..." !

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dammit, Jono, @jonoslack your interesting and to-the-point review and exquisite pictures have got me salivating again! :lol:  (I'm sure I must be able to spare a kidney.)

I love my f/1.0 Noctilux but the f/1.2 looks to be very close.  Did you happen to notice a similarity with the f/1.0's pastel colour palette in your pictures with the f/1.2?

Pete.

The bokeh does not have quite the same swirl as the f1 Noctilux or indeed the 50/1.5 Summarit. I presume this is because the outer regions of the lens have less spherical aberration (coma) than the other two lenses. 

Thank you Jono for the lovely pictures. You really are Leica's champion salesman!

Wilson

• Like 1

Nice review, Jono - and some really lovely images, as ever. This looks to be a very desirable lens.

If the aspherical elements are moulded, rather than hand-ground, does the lens sometimes show the onion ring effect in out of focus highlights, the way the 50 1.4 Summilux ASPH does?

7 hours ago, jplomley said:

Congratulations Leica for making yet another lens very few will want while the L customers continue to wait exceptionally long times for the release of the Summicron wide angle primes, delayed over 2 years. Bloody ridiculous 

Lol that’s very personal isn’t it?! I much prefer this over any wide angle Summicrons : p I hope Leica makes many more remakes of old lens like summicron 8 elements, summilux steel rim, summicron rigid, and so forth, more than anything else :) For vintage lens lovers this is the best news ever. It’s definitely not bloody ridiculous, but Bloody Awesome from my POV.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mmradman said:

Whoa!  Those lines at 1.3 look like somebody dropped a 7-Artisans before testing.

Funny, this isn't available on the US Leica website.

• Haha 2

I’ve had, at different times the f/1 Nocti and the 0.95, and I have the 75mm Nocti now. The reason why this new version so appeals to me is that it is just an ounce or so heavier than the Summilux, and uses an E49 filter - meaning this really could be a useable street lens. If it were any larger, I wouldn’t give it a second look. But to have a Noctilux that is just a slight bit larger than the 50 Summilux is very exciting.

• Like 6

Seems to be a real character lens. An own look which can be clearly distinguished from all these ultra-clinical modern lenses. 

From looking at the few pics taken by Jono and shown on the Leica website I like it even more than the noct 1.0 and 0.95. So beautiful wide open and even stopped down.

May be the first Leica lens I am tempted to buy after a long time. And coming in that small package it is even more desirable.

• Like 2

I own my Dad's original 1.2 Noctilux plus my original F1 Noct, and this new lens with its smaller size and 49mm filters is quite appealing. I question whether it will have the more muted period colors of my original 1.2, and given what I watched on-line today via Leica's live launch presentation, the new lens appears to render almost opposite of my 1.2 with my original rendering best wide open with the magic being lost with every opening of the aperture. I will admit I am interested.