Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Excellent comparison!  To be more fair you might choose XCD 80/1.9, that will immediately bring the weight up a bunch.  The S also has its “S Nodtilux”, the 100, which seems a better peer of the other two systems’ widest lenses, but it is very similar to the S70 in size and weight.

I think S rendering is really unique compared to simply hyper realistic one of both the mirrorless nephews.  So even if you don’t print, you see a rather pronounced difference.  Another reason to get a 007.

The Fuji is really sexy but it’s surprisingly heavy with the 80/1.7, which just shows you cannot have it all.  As the summer gets into bloom and I go on more and more hikes, I can’t help leaning back to FF and even APS-C systems.  X1D+45P is the only MF I care to carry uphill.

Yea.. but someone else will have to do that comparison.. can’t afford the bokeh masters of S and X for now.. 😌 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m no expert. But I am a camera tart. I also take, scan, edit, post and print photos regularly and have found ways to enjoy all of those parts of the process. The cameras that I use the most at the moment are the MA, M10R, M10M, SL2 and SL2-S. I have owned an X1D 4116 for a few years and still do. Today I picked up a GFX100S.    I have travelled the world with all of these bodies except the Fuji (which is new to me). At various times I have been smitten with all of them, for different

I'm shot an U15 cricket grand final with the GFX100S and the 250 with TC yesterday.  I put 4,172 frames on the camera, in hot sun. It didn't miss a beat. One battery change (and used 4 x 256GB cards for the RAW files). Each RAW file is about 200MB.  Bright light with fast shutter speeds and ISO 1000 or below for all shots, so no dynamic range stress testing... but I'm blown away by the sheer resolution. I mean, you can easily zoom in and pick out stiching in the players' clothing, ever

I kind of agree with Jim regarding 100S. However, for a product aiming mass market, I understand FUJI's choice or limitation here. The build quality leave something to be desired but IQ is insane good.  The build highlight of 100S for me are: shoulder screen, flip screen design, and shutter. All above are the best or as best as I ever used.  This is a photographer tool just works. 100s with 45mm. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Most sources list S007 at 2.8lb (body only), and S70 Summarit (non-CS) at 1.63lb, for total 4.43lb.  And the Hasselblad X1Dii (with battery) plus XCD 90 combo at 3.05lb (original X1D lighter still). 

Jeff

With the hoods? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No mention, but if not, then the S combo would of course weigh even more.

Jeff

Hmm.. I am seeing some weird results with my weighing scale.. my 10lb weight weighs 9.13 😂

without battery and body cap, the s007 still weighs 2.10lbs in my scale.. as opposed to 2.8lb listed on B&H

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, setuporg said:

I think S rendering is really unique compared to simply hyper realistic one of both the mirrorless nephews.

The S lens lineup really hit a sweet spot. It's at the forefront of the "fully corrected" generation of lenses (not just from Leica, but also Zeiss Otus), but it was also designed to be used without software correction.

Leica also used lens designs that weren't too subservient to autofocus speed. Most later designs try to use the lowest possible mass for focusing elements, which is great for AF speed, but it's also an extra compromise in the overall design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BernardC said:

Leica also used lens designs that weren't too subservient to autofocus speed. Most later designs try to use the lowest possible mass for focusing elements, which is great for AF speed, but it's also an extra compromise in the overall design.

I don't know where the idea of "extra compromise" comes from. The SL primes demonstrate the highest performance of any Leica lenses while also employing the lowest mass for focusing elements.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John Smith said:

I don't know where the idea of "extra compromise" comes from. The SL primes demonstrate the highest performance of any Leica lenses while also employing the lowest mass for focusing elements.   

Everything is a compromise in optics.

Comparing the SL 28mm with the S 35mm, two lenses with the same field of view and the same exit pupil (28/2 = 35/2.5). The SL lens uses more elements (13 vs. 11), and more aspherical surfaces (6 vs. 2). I can't say for sure that these are related, but I remember Mr. Karbe mentioning the focusing design of the SL lenses as being complicated.

A similar example: I remember reading, a long time ago, that Zeiss lens designers considered the shutter size of the Hasselblad CF and C lenses to be one of their biggest constraints. They had to squeeze all of the light rays into a 25mm-diameter bundle at the aperture. That's probably why the "F" shutterless lenses outperformed their CF cousins. Geek note: except for the 80 which was the same lens in F and CF, other than minimum focus distance.

So yes, it's a compromise. As with most compromises, there are ways around it, usually involving extra cost, or other compromises. It would be a good question to ask at an upcoming Leica Q&A.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BernardC said:

 Most later designs try to use the lowest possible mass for focusing elements, which is great for AF speed, but it's also an extra compromise in the overall design.

Everything is a compromise in optics.

Poor syllogism. If you like S or M lenses that involve the movement of all lens elements for focus, that's fine. But it's another thing to say that the latest AF designs which involve the movement of only one or two lenses or lens groups is "an extra compromise." Karbe said in one video that Leica pretty much had to design the SL lenses from a clean sheet, but that doesn't translate into "an extra compromise" either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Poor syllogism. If you like S or M lenses that involve the movement of all lens elements for focus, that's fine. But it's another thing to say that the latest AF designs which involve the movement of only one or two lenses or lens groups is "an extra compromise." Karbe said in one video that Leica pretty much had to design the SL lenses from a clean sheet, but that doesn't translate into "an extra compromise" either. 

Of course it’s an extra compromise. That doesn’t mean the optical results are worse. It might just mean the lenses are larger and heavier than they might be for the format. It might mean the price is higher because different material choices had to be made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 5:23 PM, LD_50 said:

Of course it’s an extra compromise. That doesn’t mean the optical results are worse. It might just mean the lenses are larger and heavier than they might be for the format. It might mean the price is higher because different material choices had to be made. 

A different design philosophy doesn’t equate to “an extra compromise.” Whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is the M35 APO on the GFX100S (at f/2). The coverage/vignetting is better than I had expected. 

While I don't really "notice" the EVF in the GFX100S (which is a good thing), it's lower resolution comes into play more strongly when trying to use MF lenses with it. The SL bodies really do shine in this application. 

 

 

Edited by Alistairm
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alistairm said:

Here is the M35 APO on the GFX100S (at f/2). The coverage/vignetting is better than I had expected. 

While I don't really "notice" the EVF in the GFX100S (which is a good thing), it's lower resolution comes into play more strongly when trying to use MF lenses with it. The SL bodies really do shine in this application. 

 

 

Pretty good although the pincushion distortion in the top corners is quite spectacular. :)

Gordon

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alistairm said:

Here is the M35 APO on the GFX100S (at f/2). The coverage/vignetting is better than I had expected. 

Have you tried this 35 on the 907X ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, aksclix said:

Hmm.. I am seeing some weird results with my weighing scale.. my 10lb weight weighs 9.13 😂

I’ll hazard a guess and say your Danskin exercise weight is not really manufactured within tolerances to be a calibration weight. I’ve compared cheap kitchen digital scales to more rigorously calibrated scales and find the cheap scales remarkably accurate. Same goes for bathroom scales...😢 I’d wager a lot of money that your danskin weight really is 9lbs 13 ozs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SoarFM said:

I’ll hazard a guess and say your Danskin exercise weight is not really manufactured within tolerances to be a calibration weight. I’ve compared cheap kitchen digital scales to more rigorously calibrated scales and find the cheap scales remarkably accurate. Same goes for bathroom scales...😢 I’d wager a lot of money that your danskin weight really is 9lbs 13 ozs.

It is quite possible I guess.. 😌😌

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mick H said:

GFX 100S Owners:  How does the EVF stack up vs SL, SL2?  Can you magnify effectively in the EVF to ascertain critical focus?  Is the EVF usable for manual focusing, with and without magnification?  Thanks.

EVF on SL2 is better. Yes you can magnify and control how much you want to magnify in. 
EVF is usable for manual focusing but if you shoot at 1.7 or with faster lenses always best to magnify to make sure you nail focus. This goes with all cameras. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...