S4 product recommendation

aksclix

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, tom0511 said:

just shot some images with the S007 and 45 and 120 today, and really, I don't know why I have used it so seldom and jumped on newer systems lately. Feel like cheating. The IQ, in my subjective view is exceptional smooth, film like, 3d. I love it! I will use the S  more often again. Even when I expect sometimes some images without perfect focus accuracy.

Same thing now after all the M11 energy.  S is alone at the top.  Perfect images every time.  Too bad you can't carry it around like an M.

• Like 1

Although I am less than a year into the S ecosystem, I couldn’t bring myself to sell it. Twice I thought I’ll let it go and wanted to use it one last time, then that 3D look changed my mind! I only have the 35 and the 180.. sold my 70 to force myself to use the 35.. it is not even my go-to focal length but I’ve grown to love it! I love the 180 even more! I’ll sell the 007 when I can afford an S3 (unless they go mirrorless.. in which case I’ll sell half of my other gear and buy one right away) Wish I had stronger wrists or these would have more use! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Although I am less than a year into the S ecosystem, I couldn’t bring myself to sell it. Twice I thought I’ll let it go and wanted to use it one last time, then that 3D look changed my mind! I only have the 35 and the 180.. sold my 70 to force myself to use the 35.. it is not even my go-to focal length but I’ve grown to love it! I love the 180 even more! I’ll sell the 007 when I can afford an S3 (unless they go mirrorless.. in which case I’ll sell half of my other gear and buy one right away) Wish I had stronger wrists or these would have more use! 

So you sold the smallest lens the system has, the iconic one, covered with a thick glass to protect it.  The only one besides 100 that makes it look like a regular DSLR, just a tad enlarged.  As opposed to 100, the 70 that comes in CS.  Of all others, the "normal" S lens.  The first one to get and the last one to let go, along with your last S body.  The predominant one that can't even fetch you much.  So you sold it.  Hmm.:)

Edited by setuporg

22 minutes ago, setuporg said:

So you sold the smallest lens the system has, the iconic one, covered with a thick glass to protect it.  The only one besides 100 that makes it look like a regular DSLR, just a tad enlarged.  As opposed to 100, the 70 that comes in CS.  Of all others, the "normal" S lens.  The first one to get and the last one to let go, along with your last S body.  The predominant one that can't even fetch you much.  So you sold it.  Hmm.:)

😂 yea! As you might already know.. I have too many camera systems! I have a gf 80 f/1.7.. got the SL75 f/2 as well.. I loved the 70 but I can’t have everything.. (although it’s odd coming from me.. cuz I have more than what I need) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

I mean I kind of watched @ropo54 selling his S24mm, not selling it, updating its AF motor and selling it after all, and I can understand that 24mm is heavy for real and big.  And you need to use it to own it.  But 70!:)

I've opted to sell my S24, S35, and S45, choosing to use the S30-90 as the one option more versatile choice. Again, I'm just a hobbyist, so others may have different imperatives. For my purposes, I'd prefer not to lug more than 2 S lenses, nor change lenses in outdoor settings. (I've kept my  S 30-90, S 70, S100, S120, and S180)

These were taken yesterday on a beautiful but very breezy south Florida afternoon: 1st and 2nd were taken @ 30mm, the 3rd at 60mm, and the last one @ 75mm.  (All cropped from original).  

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb setuporg:

Great shots Rob!

I’m glad I have photos of my kids with the S and other systems.  The S look is distinct enough for the portraits to make great memories.  That alone is worth keeping the S around.

I once ordered the S2 and my first S lens same day my second daughter was born !) High quality Lifetime memory images was part of my justification .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

Great shots Rob!

I’m glad I have photos of my kids with the S and other systems.  The S look is distinct enough for the portraits to make great memories.  That alone is worth keeping the S around.

44 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I once ordered the S2 and my first S lens same day my second daughter was born !) High quality Lifetime memory images was part of my justification .

Thanks, guys.  I love the S system.  I find it hard to take a photo that is not capable of being perfected in post-processing and find the system so rewarding. Hopefully Leica will continue its evolution.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, ZHNL said:

Before S4, maybe a S3p with better LCD with tilt function? I don’t know you guys’ take on this for landscape but it become a real issue for me for tripod shooting make me even thinking about swap SL2 with Panasonic camera. 

I also heard from people I trust that S4 will be MILC. 

Quite honestly I hope that Leica does not offer a tilt LCD.  That just ads one more component to seal and break and need repaired.  Using this system in the sand and salt with windy conditions, I want as few cracks and spaces as possible.  I trust my ability to get a good exposure and I have yet to take a landscape photograph and not be able to look through the OVF.  I also have the right angled viewfinder attachement for macro shots.

I do like the idea of some updated memory slots and potentially image stabilization.  But the sealed body as is provides a really useful platform for hard outside use.  Just MHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

Quite honestly I hope that Leica does not offer a tilt LCD.  That just ads one more component to seal and break and need repaired.  Using this system in the sand and salt with windy conditions, I want as few cracks and spaces as possible.  I trust my ability to get a good exposure and I have yet to take a landscape photograph and not be able to look through the OVF.  I also have the right angled viewfinder attachement for macro shots.

I do like the idea of some updated memory slots and potentially image stabilization.  But the sealed body as is provides a really useful platform for hard outside use.  Just MHO.

I hear you and I think we discussed this before. Having a flip LCD won't make the camera less reliable. I think most of latest flagship cameras having that obviously means market/photographers want it. in term of reliability, I might pick those camera like Z9, R3 or A1 in front of S especially if we include electronics reliability which is all digital camera about. It is about does it solve issues we have in field. Look like it did for me but not for you. 

I respect your opinion. I don't think without tilt LCD will be a deal breaker for me given none of Leica cameras have it and I bought them anyway.  Now that post has been a year, We can safely say there will be no more SLR form S camera. 

@ZHNL, it was odd, I saw a notice about this post, and after I posted mine, noticed it was just over a year ago (right month, wrong year). It doesn’t change what I wrote, but nonetheless.

I’m glad there are strong cameras in the market with different ways to use them.  The Z9 is an incredible system and Nikon just released some killer long focal lengths for the Z system.  I even thought about investing a little to try it out as a friend of mine shoots with one professionally and I enjoyed playing with it.

In the end, I come back to color and the entire S system.  I love the images I get from it and that is the point!  Glad you enjoy the variety as well.  It’s nice to have a choice.

D.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, tom0511 said:

LOL, by the time I had an S, my kids were in college!  The first 8 albums of their childhood are all 35mm film.

• Like 2

tech has come a long way! flip and tilt LCDs are not what they used to be IMO.. they're extremely reliable and immensely helpful... heck all laptops are flip screens, aren't they? :P I have never had any issues with flip screens on the dozen cameras I have had in 4 years.. I prefer tilt over flip as I don't do a lot of video. 

• Like 1