Leica Q original vs Fuji X100V vs DSLR set up - for amateur photographer capturing family moments

themikey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all - I am an amateur photographer but am expecting the birth of a little one soon! 

I want a camera to capture the birth process at the hospital (since no outside photographers allowed), and also to document the little one's growth and capture family moments.

I usual shoot with my iphone 10 max camera. I also have a sony rx100iii that I bought a few years ago hoping to use it more; I haven't used it much. I also have a DSLR canon EOS m50 with kit lens 15 - 45 f3.5/6.3

I usually shoot in JPEG because it is quicker to share and I don't have much time to post process. I would probably keep a raw copy just in case I ever got around to learning editing or having a professional edit. 

My question is: I can source a leica Q for about 2500 USD or a fuji x100v for about 1600 new. I also can just get a couple prime lenses for my canon eos m50 for probably $400 - $600. 

Could someone help me through the decision process here? I have no illusions: I am not a professional and will likely not spend hours editing raws. The camera will likely not make me a better photographer. But something about the Leica draws me to it - mostly the brand history and the photos I have seen taken from it. At the same time, the x100v seems to do a superb job as well and some have said takes better jpegs. I also do hope to get better at photography and learn more about editing if time allows (i don't think it will). I want something to capture the important moments of life.  

Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback. Thanks!

• Like 1

The short answer to your question is: whichever camera you are most comfortable/confident in using and get so familiar in using that it just gets out of the way - you're not spending all your time fiddling with it. Then use that camera continuously, making sure you know where your mistakes are coming from, why, and how your camera can help avoid them.

I realise that was not an answer to the question you asked, but the fact is that most modern cameras are capable of taking brilliant shots of babies and children in the right skilled hands. It's the photographer that guarantees the shot with modern equipment, not the camera.

As to which of the cameras you mention, it comes down to personal choice: I would take the Q for its versatility, simplicity and image quality. I would never return to the bulk and noise of a DSLR for any situation where being discreet is an advantage. Between my SL, CL and (previously owned) M240, I would pick the CL for its size, speed and AF; the Q is nearest to that.

If you're not going to do any post processing or editing, then you may indeed want to judge a camera on the strength of its jpegs. If you like the Fuji ones, fine; jpegs are not Leica's strengths, so don't waste money on a camera that you won't use at its best. Forget about brand history unless you're prepared to invest your own time in it. Those great photos you've seen from Leicas have most likely started out as raws, and someone has then applied their editing skills to turn them into great images. You don't get great results without putting in some effort of your own!

• Like 1

I would use the least encumbering gear. There is little advantage in wielding a professional-level camera for your intended use. Nor, I assume, are you going to print large.

I would advise using an iPhone 11 or 12, given the excellent image quality they produce.
Failing that, a Leica CL with 18-56 seems to be the most versatile and least encumbering option. The Q2 is less practical. Given the event (and congratulations BTW) the lens focal length will be too wide for many shots so you would need a cropping session behind the computer.
A DSLR system is bulky and impractical in the delivery room
The Fuji would serve, but you are on a Leica forum, you may want to have a camera to enjoy later as well ;)

Do use raw, it is no more work to open and postprocess than jpg - open in Lightroom or such, hit a few auto buttons and export. As the computer has far more processing power than a camera, the results will be better.I really don't understand why this "raw costs more effort and time" myth persists. It comes from a decade ago, when there was some substance to it. Since then the developers have come a long way in simplifying and automating software to eliminate the effort for basic processing, leaving the elbow grease for special images.

A word of warning: NEVER use equipment, recently purchased, that you are not completely familiar and comfortable with to shoot an important event and always have a backup.

• Like 2

Congratulations! Also having a baby is probably the best reasons to upgrade camera gears.  

In terms of camera selection.  I went through the same process.  I think you are better served with a full frame camera with great tracking AF and a fast prime lens (35/1.4 or 50/1.4).  The combo I used the most was Canon 5DM3 and Sigma 50 1.4 when my son came out 7 years ago. Today, I would probably get either Sony A7C or Canon R6 with a 35/1.4 or 35/2, and they are about the same prices as the Q.

With a newborn, you spend a lot time indoor, often with dim light.  That means bigger sensor/brighter lens works better.  Canon M and Fuji are both at disadvantage, not to mention their relatively slow AF.

Newborn also move a lot, and usually not on the same focal plane.  AF tracking on babies is actually really hard, since you are generally close to the baby, and focusing elements need to move quite a bit in these distances.  Canon/Sony eye AF makes all the difference.  With a Q, you will miss many shots.  

Now that my kids are older, I use Q2 most of the time.  It is perfect for family photos to document things and look nice.  But last month when I used it to take pictures for a friend's baby, it was a very frustrating experience.  

If you have to stick with M50, I would recommend getting Sigma 30/1.4 lens.  Canon produces very nice skin color in their JPG files.

Well as all have said, congratulations, such an exciting time.  The camera you will take the best photo's with is definitely the one you feel most comfortable with and know inside out, so if you add something new, you need to give yourself time and put in the effort.  I think if the birth is relatively close I would look to your Canon M50 for now if you are comfortable with it, the Canon 32mm 1.4 and 22mm Pancake are good options.  Newborns don't move much, certainly for the first twelve months or so you won't be needing fast frames per second or amazing tracking.  

When I look at the images I took when my grandchildren were tiny, my favourites are pretty much always from a 50mm on FF or 35mm 1.4 APS-C, my comfort zone. what is yours?

Decide based on what you are missing or how much time you have to commit to photography and editing.  When I look at the images my Daughter captures with her iPhone I often ask myself why I bother!  

I’d just like to share my experience. I have a Fuji XT-1 with a bunch of lenses. It takes great family pictures! No complaint whatsoever. Last year, I told myself that if im gonna be blessed with another baby this year, i would gift myself a leica q2! Then the news came out. we are expecting twins! Super excited but at the same time it gave me a moment to pause. Reconsider my finances specially with this Pandemic going on for sometime. So im just gonna stick to my Fuji because it takes great Jpegs and people photos overall. Continue to save for emergency and maybe wait for a q2 upgrade or a q2m.

So, my advice is if you have disposable income then go with the leica. Celebrate the birth of your child! Have fun and congratulations! 

I had both the X100V and the original Q at the same time.  Points to the Fuji for ooc jpg's, color wise, but there were a gazillion film types to choose from.  I happen to like the leica colors, that's just a choice.  i sold that Q, and continued to use the Fuji for about a year, until I found a Q2, and then sold the Fuji, in favor of higher pixel count,(cropability) and some weather sealing.  Now for $$, you can pick up a gently used Fuji for 6-800 bucks, and it will last forever.  A gently used Q2 for 45-4900, BIG difference.  Both great tools, and both will do the job. I am a retired sports and people photographer, and carry a camera in the car all of the time, and as they say, the best camera out there is the one you have with you when you need it.  That includes the new crop of cell phone's that have ridiculously good camera's,  I think you will do a good job no matter which of the three modes you decide on.  Good luck with your choice, and congrats on the family addition!

• 2 months later...

it's been a while since the original post but I would recommend the X100F rather than the V. It'll cost about half, if not less, of what a V would be and still have the glorious Fuji colors on jpeg files.

Anyway, I hope you're having fun taking pictures of your little one.