Dreaded "SD Card Locked" Error - now my camera is junk :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/27/2021 at 12:20 AM, boojum said:

...You do not see them in mission critical situations like news gathering anymore.  The news is on all Japanese SLR's and DLSR's.  Why is that?  Because they get the job done.  The way Leica used to. The editors are not primping about image quality and you cannot primp about image quality when you have no image.  To me it looks like Leica has become a weekend toy for amateurs.  Yes, there are pros who still use the Leicas.  But it seems folks who pay their bills with their cameras have mostly opted for other brands...

Since its founding in April of 1947, 95% or more (an estimate) of Magnum photographers have used Leica M cameras.  This is still true today, as far as I know. 

I would think that as the world's preeminent photo agency for documentary photography, Magnum photographers would certainly qualify as working professionals.

33 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Since its founding in April of 1947, 95% or more (an estimate) of Magnum photographers have used Leica M cameras.  This is still true today, as far as I know. 

I would think that as the world's preeminent photo agency for documentary photography, Magnum photographers would certainly qualify as working professionals.

An interesting point. Can anyone shed light on the commercial relationship between Leica and Magnum Photos Inc.: there must be some benefit to the agency for all those adverts it takes part in?

I would certainly agree that Magnum was The World’s pre-eminent documentary photography agency. In my opinion, however, it completely lost its way some time ago. I’d love to know what Elliott Erwitt makes of its current business model (something that must make HCB turn in his grave), its  membership and its output.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:25 AM, dhc905 said:

Yeah actually to be fair they gave me the whole price list of options:

Upgrade to M10-P $5,895
Upgrade to M10-R $6,595
Upgrade to M10-Monochrom $6,595
Upgrade to CL Body $1,825
Upgrade to Q2 $3,845
Upgrade to SL2 Body with M to L Adapter $4,995

I have the Leica SL with the M-Adapter L and I can say it is an excellent combination with the benefit of 25MPixel files and very accurate focusing.  It is heavier than the M9 but makes up for it with quality and the option to use a wide range of lenses (e.g. M-series 21 or any R-series or even third party such as Nikkor or Zeiss Contax).  The SL2 would be even more impressive with a resolution closer to the M10-R than the M10-P. 

In the UK, the new price of the SL2 plus M-Adapter L comes out at the equivalent of $7,800.  With your $1,900 trade in the price would be $5,900 or so which makes the $4,995 even more attractive.  It seems Leica is very keen to sell the SL2.

If you don't want the weight of the SL2 or the fixed lens of the Q2 but do want to keep your M-series lenses going without paying the premium price for the SL2 or M10, a CL with the M-Adapter L would be an interesting interim solution but you would want to ask for a much better discount than you have been offered.  The new price of the CL in the UK is the equivalent of about $3,000.  Take off your $1,900 credit and you should pay no more than $1,100 and ideally some extra discount, or get them to throw in the M-Adapter L (approx $480).

Neither option is a rangefinder of course, but there are circumstances where the electronic viewfinder can be very useful.

There are quite a few M owners who migrated to the CL system (me included) who are very happy with the change. In normal photography, the image quality difference to full-frame systems is virtually undetectable, it combines perfectly with M lenses and the smaller footprint and weight is a bonus. Quite a few use M lenses only, despite the very high quality of the TL lenses.

To me the CL is the present-day implementation of Barnack's original idea: small camera - great images.

14 hours ago, boojum said:

I am sorry to see this happening despite having excellent luck with Sony.  My A7M II is a tank and has not failed me and I got it when they came out six years ago.  I've dragged it all over the US and through France and The Netherlands and between.  I would really like to see Leitz rise phoenix-like from the ashes.  Let's hope they can pull off a miracle because that is what they are going to need.  Unless they want to run Leica as a glamour loss-leader but the prices being charged are not those of a loss-leader.  The prices and service make it seem like they do not want the camera business. We can all hope this not true.

To get competitive on professional and even  amateur market, Leica Camera AG needs re-haul in R&D, CQ and production has to be optimized (relocated). 

But is it really this necessary?  I can't see any signs of Leica Camera AF going where Olympus is now. Main and unique strength of Leica is in design. Nobody else is able to make cameras this attractive. How practical is Porsche? Totally unpractical. But it is attractive.   

Why I have to wait for the miracle, if my Canon cameras are durable, lasting more than decade and capable? I can't see Leica as something advanced after Barnack. Nikon and else took it over in 135 film format. Remember why M4-2 came? Leica is boutique product and let it be. Many capable durable cameras are around, but none are so attractive as Leica.    

14 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leicas do not seem to be present in the news conferences and events broadcast on TV.  Look around and tell me how many you see and how many Japanese SLR's and DSLR's you see where there are scenes photographed for the news.  Listen to the sound at any news event and what you hear is SLR's and DSLR's.  Magnum is a collection of good photographers, yes.  What percentage of the world pool are they? 

A lot of image gathering is the "spray and pray" type.  The new Sony can do "Up to 30 fps Shooting, ISO 50-102400" on a 50 MP full frame sensor.  News editors are not looking for what I describe as the "poetic" Leica image.  They want a lot of really good, high density images to choose from.  I do not see how Leica can compete in this arena.  Leica has its place for sure.  I do not have any numbers but I can tell you I have not seen a Leica at a press event in decades.

Maybe I missed them.

I do not dislike Leicas.  I've recently bought four.  But I have no illusions about them either.  They are not robust and cost an inheritance to maintain, in the odd circumstance where that is possible.  Leica got swamped on the transition from film to digital.  It's like they brought a spoon to a gunfight.  A very nice spoon, yes.  But they are outgunned.  If Leitz wants to build something to be the standard that their film cameras were they might want to get their butts in gear.  The train is in the station.  It may have even left.  But if Leica wants to be a luxury item that can often take pictures they have done that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ah - you mean guys like Pete Souza (White House photographer for Obama) ? Yes - sure. Umm- He uses Leica M digital... Not every fight is a gunfight.

Since when does a camera company make its money from press conference photographers? The relative number of those professionals is miniscule and they are anonymous. Joe Bloggs used a Canon at the press-conference of Alderman Jones?  High-profile names like Magnum photographers are much more interesting from a marketing point of view.

Leica aspires to something like 1% of the camera market, I think they are close to that number in the professional market.

2 hours ago, boojum said:

They are not robust and cost an inheritance to maintain, in the odd circumstance where that is possible

Not robust? Really? Drop one down a cliff like I did and find out. And what maintenance does a digital Leica need? How many M8-s around here? And how many original Canon 5Ds in the Canon forums?

Years ago then teenager I was talking with my grand parents and often they complained about knee pain, back pain etc... I heard their complaints but never actually fully understood. Until few years ago when due to ageing I faced with back problems. Then I realized what they were trying to say years ago. 

I think you have to be in same situation to fully feel what's going on in similar situation. Feeling is not the same us understanding. :-)

Someone who never faced problems with sensor, rangefinder alignment, battery problems, circuit board problems etc. doesn't know the feeling, just understand it. :-) 

The same goes for Canon, Fuji,... Seiko, Ikea,... etc  :-)

As @Ko.Fe. stated indeed  it seems that Leica forum is full of quality complaints... But this is just observation, no proof. Gut feeling by reading forum threads: M240 and M262 seems the cameras with least quality complaints. On the other hand there were many who complained about color rendition of M240 vs M9. Endless debate :-)

As a ME220 owner I'm thinking to try M262, do you guys have any comments, pros / cons? M262 seems reliable and color rendition I don't know why seems between M240 and M10. I was just looking flickr photos and I'm aware that by specification M240 and M262 rendition shall be the same. But browsing Flickr I can detect some variation... Just me?

7 hours ago, Cobram said:

Years ago then teenager I was talking with my grand parents and often they complained about knee pain, back pain etc... I heard their complaints but never actually fully understood. Until few years ago when due to ageing I faced with back problems. Then I realized what they were trying to say years ago. 

I think you have to be in same situation to fully feel what's going on in similar situation. Feeling is not the same us understanding. :-)

Someone who never faced problems with sensor, rangefinder alignment, battery problems, circuit board problems etc. doesn't know the feeling, just understand it. :-) 

The same goes for Canon, Fuji,... Seiko, Ikea,... etc  :-)

As @Ko.Fe. stated indeed  it seems that Leica forum is full of quality complaints... But this is just observation, no proof. Gut feeling by reading forum threads: M240 and M262 seems the cameras with least quality complaints. On the other hand there were many who complained about color rendition of M240 vs M9. Endless debate :-)

As a ME220 owner I'm thinking to try M262, do you guys have any comments, pros / cons? M262 seems reliable and color rendition I don't know why seems between M240 and M10. I was just looking flickr photos and I'm aware that by specification M240 and M262 rendition shall be the same. But browsing Flickr I can detect some variation... Just me?

I think rendering is very subjective subject :)

Personally, I can't find anything  spectacular :)  in M9/M240/M10 colors rendering.

M9 sensors have tendency to overblown red. It is often shows limited dynamic range, which is also visible in colors rendering. 

Latest sensor color rendering is not something I'm pleased with comparing my 2015 M-E 220 original sensor. Yes, it is different from CMOS, but this is it.

M10/240 and variants' colors are OK CMOS sensors colors. Nothing else, nothing more.

My old Olympus E-PL1 gives wow factor for colors, rendering (I like consumer film, lab like rendering :) ) and I understand why many are choosing Fuji cameras.

But.

Personally, I like digital M series for been M. And as you have mentioned it is due to personal experience. I started and used rangefinder for photography, not SLR. Even now, if I want photography process to be a pleasure, I reach for rangefinders. But process and results are not always the same. :) 

7 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I think rendering is very subjective subject :)

Personally, I can't find anything  spectacular :)  in M9/M240/M10 colors rendering.

M9 sensors have tendency to overblown red. It is often shows limited dynamic range, which is also visible in colors rendering. 

Latest sensor color rendering is not something I'm pleased with comparing my 2015 M-E 220 original sensor. Yes, it is different from CMOS, but this is it.

M10/240 and variants' colors are OK CMOS sensors colors. Nothing else, nothing more.

My old Olympus E-PL1 gives wow factor for colors, rendering (I like consumer film, lab like rendering :) ) and I understand why many are choosing Fuji cameras.

But.

Personally, I like digital M series for been M. And as you have mentioned it is due to personal experience. I started and used rangefinder for photography, not SLR. Even now, if I want photography process to be a pleasure, I reach for rangefinders. But process and results are not always the same. :) 

For me M-E220 colors are very nice, but I do agree with you. Olympus colors are really superb. I used to own Fuji X-E1 and its color palette was superior to Leica, especially skin tones. On the other hand Fuji lacks in BW tones, sharpness, 3D pop and PROCESS 🙂  

I was waiting  10 years for Olympus to release FF camera, without success. Currently I have only one Oly left at home: Trip 35. Most reliable camera of all times 🙂 

I would say that the M9 (particularly with the embedded profile) has a tendency to make colours up!

It likes to push some shades of red towards magenta, some shades of orange towards red, some shades of blue towards cyan and some shades of green away from yellow.

My opinion it that this is source of all of the filmic/organic/kodachromatic/hyperbolic comments about the look of the colours.

Because the colours don't look life like the viewer has to willingly suspend disbelief in order to enjoy the photograph (a bit like with some film stocks), if the viewer is happy to engage in this disbelief s/he'll really enjoy the photo and possibly find the more lifelike palette of other cameras lacking somehow

But like I say, it's just a hunch

Another opinion I have is that out of the box the M10 colours are nicer than the 240... but the M10 is closer to the 240 than it is the M9 in terms of oranges and reds.

OMMV

Like the OP (oh yeah that!) I worry my M9p will wear out and Leica won't be able to fix it.

The notion they might offer me a discount against a new M is nice and perhaps a silver lining as maybe other OEMs wouldn't do this with such an old product.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:18 AM, jaapv said:

Ah - you mean guys like Pete Souza (White House photographer for Obama) ? Yes - sure. Umm- He uses Leica M digital... Not every fight is a gunfight.

Since when does a camera company make its money from press conference photographers? The relative number of those professionals is miniscule and they are anonymous. Joe Bloggs used a Canon at the press-conference of Alderman Jones?  High-profile names like Magnum photographers are much more interesting from a marketing point of view.

Leica aspires to something like 1% of the camera market, I think they are close to that number in the professional market.

Not robust? Really? Drop one down a cliff like I did and find out. And what maintenance does a digital Leica need? How many M8-s around here? And how many original Canon 5Ds in the Canon forums?

Pete and the other WH photographers under Obama used Canon cameras mostly. That's not to say that he doesn't use Leica M, but it's more the exception than the rule. President Trump's main photographer used Sony and a very large percentage of the WH press corps are moving to Sony as well. When it comes to working at the WH and Capitol Hill, speed is the name of the game. The window of opportunity with POTUS is very small.

As for the current Magnum photographers, the old hands are still tooling along with their Leicas. Those guys are in their 80's now. Even Erwitt uses Canon for commercial work. No doubt most or many of the Magnum photographers have a Leica but it is by no means the tool it was before the entire industry went digital.

3 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

I would say that the M9 (particularly with the embedded profile) has a tendency to make colours up!

It likes to push some shades of red towards magenta, some shades of orange towards red, some shades of blue towards cyan and some shades of green away from yellow.

My opinion it that this is source of all of the filmic/organic/kodachromatic/hyperbolic comments about the look of the colours.

I was never a fan of the M9 colors (heresy on this forum!) because I found them to be too punchy. Greens and reds are too vivid for my taste. I always thought the colors were closer to Fuji Velvia rather than Kodachrome. Of course that is all a subjective opinion. Although folks say that the M8 with the proper IR filter produces the same colors as the M9, I find the M8 colors a bit more neutral and more to my liking. I shoot everything in DNG and never use JPEG.

I find the M10 to have the most natural colors and the easiest files to work with. The M240 always went a bit more yellow for me and didn't handle mixed color temps very well.

15 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

I was never a fan of the M9 colors (heresy on this forum!) because I found them to be too punchy. Greens and reds are too vivid for my taste. I always thought the colors were closer to Fuji Velvia rather than Kodachrome. Of course that is all a subjective opinion. Although folks say that the M8 with the proper IR filter produces the same colors as the M9, I find the M8 colors a bit more neutral and more to my liking. I shoot everything in DNG and never use JPEG.

I find the M10 to have the most natural colors and the easiest files to work with. The M240 always went a bit more yellow for me and didn't handle mixed color temps very well.

I can totally see how someone would think that.

The M9 colours are not always neutral, and whether one one finds them nice or not is personal and subjective.

That's what I meant by the need to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy them.

And what we're prepared to chose to believe is quite individual!

For example I'm a reasonable Star Wars fan. But mrs Adam thinks it's all stupid nonsense, people flying around in space using the force.... Meanwhile mrs Adam thinks Harry Potter is really good, whereas I can't get really get behind that narrative...

We like different things, even different derivatives of the same types of things (like fantasy movies or different cameras native colour palettes)

19 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

I can totally see how someone would think that.

The M9 colours are not always neutral, and whether one one finds them nice or not is personal and subjective.

That's what I meant by the need to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy them.

And what we're prepared to chose to believe is quite individual!

For example I'm a reasonable Star Wars fan. But mrs Adam thinks it's all stupid nonsense, people flying around in space using the force.... Meanwhile mrs Adam thinks Harry Potter is really good, whereas I can't get really get behind that narrative...

We like different things, even different derivatives of the same types of things (like fantasy movies or different cameras native colour palettes)

Kodachrome was a very bright color film.  The colors were a little more real than real.  The best description I heard about Kodak vs Agfa was in the 60's while doing my military service in Île de France.  Someone more knowledgeable than I pointed out that a photo of the interior of a French chateau looks freshly painted on Kodak while on Agfa it looks real.  So I started using Agfa because to my eyes she was right.  Kodak is the "gold standard" against which other films are rated.  We all have a pretty good idea of how it looks. As Simon and Garfunkel said, " . . . those nice bright colors." And other films can be rated as better or worse. Just as motels can be rated as better or worse than Holiday Inn.  Holiday Inn is not the best but we all know it and can understand what better than and worse than would be.  The Kodak CCD sensor seems, to my eyes, generally between the old Kodak and the old Agfa.  I was really fond of that Agfa even with its sometimes orangish skin tones.  

And it has been demonstrated that a good craftsman can make the digital image look just about any way in post.  I do prefer the out of the camera M8.2 colors over the M240, but not by a whole lot.  I am not yet accustomed to the M9 enough to say much about its colors.  So far it looks good, almost pastel with an old '55 Jupiter 8.  I'll try it, too, with the CV 35mm f/1.4 II which is crisper and brighter.  But a really good image will overrule arguments about shading and tone.  The content is what I must work on,

Well just to close out the original thought on the M9 - they said they couldn't hold a credit to my name, and suggested that I take the camera back and perhaps try in the future when I'm ready to upgrade anyway.  I've gotten some PMs from folks here who would be interested in parts if I go that way, so I'll be in touch and/or post in the For Sale section here. 

I'll compile a full list of things I have (in addition to the non-functional M9 with a new sensor as of 2015/2016) :)