Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still need help deciding what i'm going to do: buy the Q2 or the Q2M? At the moment, i'm shooting with a nikon D750 (lovely camera), but it's heavy, especially with a zoomlens attached. And since i convert almost all my photos to b&w in post, i was thinking about buying a Q2M. The reason why i'm still hesitating, is the question if it's worth spending the extra 500€ on a monochromversion (comparing with the Q2). What are the real benefits of a Q2M? Why should i buy it? And why not? I love shooting in low light, but is the normal Q2 not capable enough for that purpose? So please share your thoughts.

some people are happy with converting from color to b&w (nothing wrong wit that) - tonality will be different and you will need a different approach ( not just minding highlights), In the end the Q2M has indeed a slightly better resolution than the Q2. There is a lot of good info in this forum, and other have been posing similar questions. You might find some answers and even raise more questions by reading a bit in this sub-chapter.

For me  there was no good reason to buy the Q2 neither really a M10M, as I have already a M240, and other non-fixed lens cameras ( one with raw monochromatic output). So it was more than numbers and specifications.

I have found that writing down the pros vs cons on a sheet of paper (or electronic document) helps rationalize thoughts, processing the points leading to conclusions, and then given then proper credit/validation, which will lead to a decision :); or you can ignore all that and follow your heart/gut feeling, go with first instincts and never look back....

either way they are both great cameras (only have some limited experience with the Q2M)

Edited by nwphil

Im also in the same position. Been forever wanting the Leica Q2 then suddenly pandemic hits us. Now the the Q2M was launched. Good thing is I can still wait and save up some more and who knows by then a Q2-P comes out next. But at the moment I am leaning towards the Q2M. Thats just where my gut feel is. I am completely into Fuji system and this is going to be my first Leica. Many suggests to go for the Q2 only. But the simplicity and approach to B&W is what draws me to the Q2M. Gooduck!

I'm debating the same. I have the Q-P but want the Q2M rather than the Q2. Having previously owned an M10 and M246 mono, it's the M246 that I regret selling despite my poor ability to nail focus. I have replaced the M's with an X-Pro3 which better fits my needs. My Q-P is almost duplicated with my fuji 16mm 1.4 so I could let the Q-P go but I would probably regret it. I'm not a bw only shooter but those monochrom files are indeed something special.

I will not be of any help to any of you - as I love both cameras.   My 4 cents:  Black and white conversion images from the Q2 are admirable - nothing wrong with them at all.  Search and you will find many talented artists here who portray their Q2 conversion photos.  They are simply jaw dropping.   The Q2 Monochrom is very different - a class all by itself.   The images take on a different meaning in the context of yes or no - right or wrong - up or down - shadow or light.  You get it.   It just doesn't happen (for me) with a color conversion image.  Why?  Because I've already seen it in color therefore it can't function on its own.  Take a photo in color of a lonely park bench (high contrast at early or late light) and convert it to b'w.  The meaning will have been lost in translation.   Yes it will be a good looking photography, but altruistically speaking... eh.   Take a Q2M and make a b/w image of a covid patient dying alone with no one around him/her - it will translate into something else.  No lyric needed.   Your visions are perhaps different than mine.  After all, art lies in the eye of the beholder.   The maker has something in mind - deep inside.  Ten people can look at an image and get 10 different views.  It's just the way art is.  If my back was against the wall, I would say own both.  It will be less than expensive than an S3 with a couple of lenses.   Both Q's are superb instruments in every possible way.   Yes, they are THAT good.   Solution: just whip out the ol' Amex card and do it.  You only live twice.

I have owned a Q2M for a couple of months now, the idea being that it would sit alongside my Canon 5d mkiv. Well I’ve only picked the Canon up once & it felt like a ton of bricks in my hand, ok so the 70-200 f2.8L lens was attached, but even with a 35mm prime lens attached it still felt heavy and obtrusive. So weight wise & being more inconspicuous the Q2/Q2M wins easily. I was only interested in the Q2M, so didn’t have the dilemma you face. I can say that in comparing the two Q’s that you will see a difference at higher ISO’s, 3200 even 1600 in images. I normally expose for the highlights & then bring up the shadows in post, try that on the Q2 at 3200 iso & you will see noise in the image that you just won’t see using the Q2M. The files of the Q2M are so malleable. My two cents so far....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Leica28 said:

Take a photo in color of a lonely park bench (high contrast at early or late light) and convert it to b'w.  The meaning will have been lost in translation.

This one sentence (well, I suppose it's two sentences!) perfectly sums up the difference between conversion and dedicated B&W image.

Of course, cost is always a consideration, but if you mostly convert to B&W then I would definitely go for the Q2M.  The only downside is that you will be bitten by the Q camera bug, with the almost inevitable consequence that a regular Q2 will follow!

14 hours ago, Leica28 said:

I will not be of any help to any of you - as I love both cameras.   My 4 cents:  Black and white conversion images from the Q2 are admirable - nothing wrong with them at all.  Search and you will find many talented artists here who portray their Q2 conversion photos.  They are simply jaw dropping.   The Q2 Monochrom is very different - a class all by itself.   The images take on a different meaning in the context of yes or no - right or wrong - up or down - shadow or light.  You get it.   It just doesn't happen (for me) with a color conversion image.  Why?  Because I've already seen it in color therefore it can't function on its own.  Take a photo in color of a lonely park bench (high contrast at early or late light) and convert it to b'w.  The meaning will have been lost in translation.   Yes it will be a good looking photography, but altruistically speaking... eh.   Take a Q2M and make a b/w image of a covid patient dying alone with no one around him/her - it will translate into something else.  No lyric needed.   Your visions are perhaps different than mine.  After all, art lies in the eye of the beholder.   The maker has something in mind - deep inside.  Ten people can look at an image and get 10 different views.  It's just the way art is.  If my back was against the wall, I would say own both.  It will be less than expensive than an S3 with a couple of lenses.   Both Q's are superb instruments in every possible way.   Yes, they are THAT good.   Solution: just whip out the ol' Amex card and do it.  You only live twice.

I'm quite sure they take Dutch creditcards as well:)

16 minutes ago, Casakleinhuis said:

I'm quite sure they take Dutch creditcards as well:)

you probably already aware of this, but depending on CC type, and if you have the cash to pay it off in one shot, some stores or CC companies might offer great incentives for using their product.

i.e.: I bought my Q2M from LeicaSF, but it was also listed on Amazon. By purchasing it on Amazon (still Leica SF store), and using Amazon's  CC, I got 5% back - paid for the second battery

53 minutes ago, Casakleinhuis said:

Ah! Well i did not know this. I will pay it in cash. The store is offering me a free second battery, which i think is a good deal.

as long as you are paying MSRP - same price posted everywhere else, then,, yes it sounds like

7 hours ago, Casakleinhuis said:

Ah! Well i did not know this. I will pay it in cash. The store is offering me a free second battery, which i think is a good deal.

You will LOVE every second you spend with the Q2 Monochrom.  

16 hours ago, JJ99 said:

I have owned a Q2M for a couple of months now, the idea being that it would sit alongside my Canon 5d mkiv. Well I’ve only picked the Canon up once & it felt like a ton of bricks in my hand, ok so the 70-200 f2.8L lens was attached, but even with a 35mm prime lens attached it still felt heavy and obtrusive. So weight wise & being more inconspicuous the Q2/Q2M wins easily. I was only interested in the Q2M, so didn’t have the dilemma you face. I can say that in comparing the two Q’s that you will see a difference at higher ISO’s, 3200 even 1600 in images. I normally expose for the highlights & then bring up the shadows in post, try that on the Q2 at 3200 iso & you will see noise in the image that you just won’t see using the Q2M. The files of the Q2M are so malleable. My two cents so far....

You have been bitten by the Q bug for which there is no cure!

19 hours ago, JJ99 said:

I'm using this justification too. The Q2M for B&W photography while the Fuji XT-1 for color. I tested the Q2 with my existing setup and with the lens and body it is almost the same in size and weight, so this is not a major factor for me. Also I will learn to do post processing. So if the Q2M's file is a lot easier to edit then this could be a positive point. Congratulations and enjoy the new camera. Post some reviews here! 

1 hour ago, Marley said:

I'm using this justification too. The Q2M for B&W photography while the Fuji XT-1 for color. I tested the Q2 with my existing setup and with the lens and body it is almost the same in size and weight, so this is not a major factor for me. Also I will learn to do post processing. So if the Q2M's file is a lot easier to edit then this could be a positive point. Congratulations and enjoy the new camera. Post some reviews here! 

Thanks. I’ll leave the reviews to the experts though. Regards editing, if you have a vision of the finished shot before pressing the shutter, then most of the work is already done & editing is easy. Go for the Q2M, it’s an insane camera & will make you a better photographer.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:08 AM, PaulJohn said:

I'm debating the same. I have the Q-P but want the Q2M rather than the Q2. Having previously owned an M10 and M246 mono, it's the M246 that I regret selling despite my poor ability to nail focus. I have replaced the M's with an X-Pro3 which better fits my needs. My Q-P is almost duplicated with my fuji 16mm 1.4 so I could let the Q-P go but I would probably regret it. I'm not a bw only shooter but those monochrom files are indeed something special.

I had the Q-P and let it go for the Q2M - did not regret for a second. But 9 of 10 images I shoot are bnw. Kept my X-E3 for color shoots, but think I will switch to M.

And I can confirm, that the monochrom files are special ;)