After almost 50 years my trusted Canon F-1 OD got a companion - the Leica M10-P Reporter

IMAGEPOWER

Advertisement (gone after registration)

However, whereas the Canon F-1 Olive Drab retired long ago, the new Leica Reporter will be used...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

vor einer Stunde schrieb earleygallery:

Nice. I love the old Canon F1, had one for a brief while but foolishly swapped it for an A1 when it seemed pointless not to have an auto SLR. I'm always tempted when I see one at a s/h dealers or camera fair.

Same with me...in 1975 I bought the sibling Canon EF (kind of automatic version of F-1 at the time), I simply couldn't understand to spend more money on a manual camera than on an auto SLR. Later on I switched to the Canon F-1n and worked with it for further 15 years (actually I am a reporter, nor war but sports....;.) before switching the complete system to Nikon. However, I kept the F-1 OD because I always loved the look and feel of it. Due to Covid-19 sports photography business here in Germany has been very difficult lately, so I added a Leica M10 Monochrom and an M10-R to intensify my other fields of photography and to compensate for some of the losses. If anyone had told me last year that I would buy even a 3rd Leica M model I would have called him anything but sober...;-)))

• Like 1

vor 39 Minuten schrieb fisheess:

Gorgeous cameras! How did you keep the canon so clean and fresh like new after so many years of usage?

I used it as my 3rd body in the studio only – I knew it might become a collector's item some day. Just like the old breech-lock Canon FD Aspherical lenses, prices have gone extremely up during the last months. I sold my Canon FD 1,2/85mm S.S.C. in superb condition - and thus financed a large part of the M10-P Reporter...

vor 1 Stunde schrieb fisheess:

Respect. This sounds like the one that just gone for almost 5600 Euros on EBay.

No, it wasn't. I got 3.800 EUR because I sell only within Germany. My buyer wants to resell it. The one that got 5.600 EUR was won by a "fun" or fake bidder, he had not one transaction and the same lens will be online soon again. You seem to watch the market very closely...?

Sorry for being off topic.

17 hours ago, IMAGEPOWER said:

No, it wasn't. I got 3.800 EUR because I sell only within Germany. My buyer wants to resell it. The one that got 5.600 EUR was won by a "fun" or fake bidder, he had not one transaction and the same lens will be online soon again. You seem to watch the market very closely...?

Sorry for being off topic.

No I don't follow the market at all. I just did a quick search.

After buying the M10-R recently I just plan to sell everything I don't need and stop the whole equipment affair and focus on taking photos (after the lockdown ends). Unfortunately ebay are now flooded with questionable users.

Back to topic: is the reporter painted or anodized with this color?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb fisheess:

No I don't follow the market at all. I just did a quick search.

After buying the M10-R recently I just plan to sell everything I don't need and stop the whole equipment affair and focus on taking photos (after the lockdown ends). Unfortunately ebay are now flooded with questionable users.

Back to topic: is the reporter painted or anodized with this color?

Actually, I am not sure whether painted or anodized. It feels much smoother than the M10-R and especially M10-M. My M10-M looks a bit blotchy already, I use it quite a lot and I can't get it really smooth or evenly clean again. The M10-R is similar but better. The M10-P "Reporter" is very easily cleaned, in fact, you do not see fingerprints or stains. Dust can be blown off easily. My M10-M seems to attract dust, the surface is not as clean. Just like the Canon F-1N, if you remember that model from 1981. Grippy, but with a messy, sweaty look after a few hours in the sun.

To sum it up I prefer the "Reporter's" surface very much to the M10-M and M10-R. I am a little bit skeptical about the durability of the Kevlar "jacket", it feels very nice in a dry environment...but if it's getting sweaty and humid, will it stay on the body? Well, time will tell...

2 more photos I didn't upload last time...

Edited by IMAGEPOWER
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Lux50:

Your F-1 is beautiful.

vor 23 Stunden schrieb alan c. davis:

As nice as the new Leica is I somehow prefer the Canon. That is one lovely looking beast.

That's right, it's a gem. It was produced for the Japanese market only and came with a dedicated box and strap...

• Like 4

Wow, I've never seen a green Canon F1. I was an Army photographer in the 80's and our standard issue cameras at the time were Canon F1, but they were black. I hated it at the time because I was a Nikon user. Fortunately when I got to my final duty station we ordered our own cameras on the open market and went with Nikon.

We did have an OD green 4x5 Speed Graphic in our shop. I used it often with a 120 roll back for aerials from a helicopter.

1 hour ago, 84bravo said:

Wow, I've never seen a green Canon F1. I was an Army photographer in the 80's and our standard issue cameras at the time were Canon F1, but they were black. I hated it at the time because I was a Nikon user. Fortunately when I got to my final duty station we ordered our own cameras on the open market and went with Nikon.

We did have an OD green 4x5 Speed Graphic in our shop. I used it often with a 120 roll back for aerials from a helicopter.

You Army folks didn’t live right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually that's quite true. In the 80's the Navy really used their photographers well. The Army didn't really know what to do with us at the time. All of the services revamped and upgraded their Combat Camera units after the first Gulf War.

1 hour ago, 84bravo said:

Actually that's quite true. In the 80's the Navy really used their photographers well. The Army didn't really know what to do with us at the time. All of the services revamped and upgraded their Combat Camera units after the first Gulf War.

I started in the Navy in 1967 and three deployments to Vietnam we had some excellent very well trained photographers. 

• Like 2