Sigma 105 mm f/2,8 DG DN macro art and Leica CL

Guytou

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know if this will help but I use the Sigma EX DG OSS 105mm f2.8 macro on my Sony A6500 which is of very similar size and crop factor to a CL. I do find it a bit bulky and it's definitely a case of attaching the camera to the lens, not the other way round. It could do with a support ring for tripod use. The hood is massive.

The image quality is excellent, every bit as good as my Sony 90mm f2.8 macro.

To give an idea of how it would look on a CL here are two pictures of it on the A6500 (which is the same size within a few mm). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello mike-j,

The 105mm Sigma (old model) in your photo does indeed provide very good image quality.
On the other hand, it is very bulky with its adapter for APS lens hood + the lens hood itself + the foot nut. These accessories almost double the length of the lens!
In addition, its diameter of 78.3 is significant (increase due to internal stabilization).

The new Sigma 105 Macro Art also has excellent optical quality.
But, fortunately, it is much shorter than the old model, even with the lens hood fitted which does not need an adapter.
Its diameter is also smaller and this superb lens is still very handy with the CL.

Guytou

The new Sigma 105 mm Macro Art on the CL  :

The old  Sigma 105 mm EX DG OS macro and its accessories :

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 3

A very first with these buds ready to bloom...
Image very quickly taken this afternoon.
This Sigma 105 Macro Art is a treat and allows you to have an interesting distance from the subject, especially in APS-C.

(Leica CL + Sigma 105 mm - 200 ISO - f.5,6 - 1/400 s)

Guytou

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 7

My Sigma 105 macro lens has arrived and I am enclosing some photos from it on the CL.

The flowering Eucalyptus was taken with the lens at about 1/2 life size,

The Grevillea flower was taken at about 1/2 life size with the 2x extender TC 2011

and the close up of the Grevillea was at 1:1 with no 2x extender

The Blue tongue lizard outside the back door was taken with the 105 lens and the 2x TC2011 at close to 1:1

A monopod was used with the camera attached as I have not yet found a lens foot for the 105 macro.

It would be a great help as the rig is quite heavy. Does anyone know if a lens foot is available, I have had no answer from Sigma Australia.

Cheers

Philip

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The lens foot issue has been solved.

Nikon 70-200 mm f=4 lens foot from Really Right Stuff is slightly larger than the diameter of the Sigma 105mm lens.

A strip of 1.5mm x 15mm  rubber around the lens is just enough to take up the slack and provide a really secure fit.

The only disadvantage is with rotation of the camera as this requires the assembly to be removed. I can live with that.

Cheers

Philip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tried the Macro-Elmar-M 90mm? I've seen no mention of it here. I have the 60TL for the CL, but I'm thinking about a macro lens for the SL2-S. The info here about the Sigma 105 is helpful, but I was also looking at the 60R and 100R macro lenses, as well as the 90M macro. The latter should be fairly compact on both CL and SL2-S, but more expensive than the Sigma, of course. I have no need for AF for macro. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Sigma 105 mm f/2,8 DG DN macro art and Leica CL
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2021 at 8:38 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Has anyone tried the Macro-Elmar-M 90mm? I've seen no mention of it here. I have the 60TL for the CL, but I'm thinking about a macro lens for the SL2-S. The info here about the Sigma 105 is helpful, but I was also looking at the 60R and 100R macro lenses, as well as the 90M macro. The latter should be fairly compact on both CL and SL2-S, but more expensive than the Sigma, of course. I have no need for AF for macro. 

Yes, I was thinking the same about the 90mm macro on the CL/ TL and why has the TL 60mm been dismissed, is it being 3x the price of the 105mm?

En ce qui me concerne, le TL 60 a une distance focale trop large avec trop de fond. La mise au point minimale est trop proche, en particulier pour les insectes.
Je trouve évidemment le prix élevé.
De plus, le Sigma Macro Art 105 DG possède des réglages intéressants, notamment pour la mise au point. Sa qualité d'image est exceptionnelle.
Cependant, il est un peu plus encombrant que le TL 60.

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

1 hour ago, Guytou said:

En ce qui me concerne, le TL 60 a une distance focale trop large avec trop de fond. La mise au point minimale est trop proche, en particulier pour les insectes.
Je trouve évidemment le prix élevé.
De plus, le Sigma Macro Art 105 DG possède des réglages intéressants, notamment pour la mise au point. Sa qualité d'image est exceptionnelle.
Cependant, il est un peu plus encombrant que le TL 60.

Guytou

Forum service :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, the TL 60 has too long a focal length with too much background. The minimum focus distance is too close, especially for insects.
I obviously find the price high.
Moreover, the Sigma Macro Art 105 DG has interesting settings, especially for focusing. Its image quality is exceptional.
However, it is a little more cumbersome than the TL 60.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dgc said:

Yes, I was thinking the same about the 90mm macro on the CL/ TL and why has the TL 60mm been dismissed, is it being 3x the price of the 105mm?

Since I got the Sigma 105mm my TL 60mm has been siting on the shelf, I'm probably going to sell it. The Sigma 105mm is on another level.

• Like 3

I recently have the Sigma 105 DG Macro Art with the CL and it really is a wonderful macro lens.
The TL 60 also has excellent optical quality, but most macro lenses are also very good optically.
Unfortunately the TL 60 is really very expensive for what it brings compared to others, especially in its practical use.
Its main advantage lies in its smaller dimensions and weight.

Guytou

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 2

Guytou/ Mike thanks for your replies. The Sigma lenses are getting very good reviews, which your photos also confirm

The macro lens would also double up for scanning medium and format film as well, so I need to do a bit more research if the 105mm would provide a suitable angle of view from the height of my converted enlarger or if the 70mm would be better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just acquired a new CL and experimenting with potential lens combinations including the Sigma 105/ 2.8 Macro L Mount.

Discovered that the Leica STA1 14636 tripod adapter (designed for the Leica R 100/2.8 APO) fits the Sigma 105/2.8 Macro L Mount — but have not yet tried the combination 'in the field'.

Q&D photo shows combo on a Benbo ball head but I'll likely be using it with a shoulder pod or a Gitzo monopod which has a built-in shoulder support. 

Similar Chinese lens mounted tripod adapters are available via eBay for £reasonable — but fitted at your own risk. Lens barrel rear diameter measured with a digital calliper is 65mm; available barrel depth at lens rear is 15mm. But please check measurements if planning to use a similar adapter. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

12 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Just acquired a new CL and experimenting with potential lens combinations including the Sigma 105/ 2.8 Macro L Mount.

Discovered that the Leica STA1 14636 tripod adapter (designed for the Leica R 100/2.8 APO) fits the Sigma 105/2.8 Macro L Mount — but have not yet tried the combination 'in the field'.

Q&D photo shows combo on a Benbo ball head but I'll likely be using it with a shoulder pod or a Gitzo monopod which has a built-in shoulder support. 

dunk

Well done, Dunk, for acquiring a new CL. I note your long-established ingenuity, for straying into areas of adaptation, into which no-one has hitherto ventured. 😁 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wda said:

Well done, Dunk, for acquiring a new CL. I note your long-established ingenuity, for straying into areas of adaptation, into which no-one has hitherto ventured. 😁 

David, This is another 'adaption' for the CL and a "work in progress"  —  focuses fine and sharp but currently looks a little 'untidy'. It's Canon Angle Finder C with its Canon viewfinder attachment removed thus enabling a flush fit against the CL finder's rubber eyepiece. Hope to find a tidier attachment method.  

dunk

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Similar Chinese lens mounted tripod adapters are available via eBay for £reasonable — but fitted at your own risk. Lens barrel rear diameter measured with a digital calliper is 65mm; available barrel depth at lens rear is 15mm. But please check measurements if planning to use a similar adapter. 

dunk

Hello Dunk,

I read your discussion about the Leica collar and Sigma 105 macro by chance.

I also have a Leica CL and a Sigma 105 DG DN macro Art. I'm trying to find a foot clamp for this Sigma but can't find it.
Your Leica STA 1 collar (14636) seems to fit on the Sigma.
This interests me a lot !

Does this collar hold the 105 lens correctly without it moving ?
Isn't it too wide and sticks against the lens release button ?
Does it leave clamp marks on the part of the lens where it is attached ?

Thank you very much for your feedback and your experience with this Leica collar on the Leica CL with the Sigma 105 macro.

Guytou