Keep or Sell film Leicas

12 hours ago, rramesh said:

Anything mechanical from a reputable house will holds it's value over time. The only challenges could be availability of supplies and electronics that will fail over time e.g. light meter.

Everything else can be fixed.

And this is why I have zero interest in the M7...

I'm concerned about the diminishing availability of competent services for film Leicas.  The few that exist, aren't getting any younger...

I would expect that at least one the big three Leica repair masters - Don Goldberg, Sherry Krauter and Youxin Ye - have an apprentice in the works.  I can't imagine that in all the world, there is not a Leica M cultist or two who is not OCD enough to take up the dark art of M camera repair.

As for parts for film M cameras - Leica still has somewhat of an inventory, last I heard.  Years down the road if push comes to shove on parts, older beat up M cameras may end up being bought by M camera repair technicians for scavenging needed parts.

The M3 was introduced in 1954; it is still in use and repairable in 2021 - 67 years after the fact. 

Given that, M6, M7, current production MA and MP film cameras should be repairable and refurbish-able for longer than their owners will be.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good points Herr Barnack.

However, with respect to the M7, it is my understanding that the electronic exposure/shutter controller cannot be repaired, even by Leica.  Because it relies upon a custom integrated circuit, whose supplies are now fully depleted.  And, there is a record of them failing.  Perhaps the M6TTL (and maybe the M6) too, but that only kills the meter (and flash) controller.

3 hours ago, Danner said:

I'm concerned about the diminishing availability of competent services for film Leicas.  The few that exist, aren't getting any younger.  If that goes away, the values will drop, so that's a factor to consider...

I have the same concern. Not from the value perspective but from the user perspective. One of the best technician here told me recently that he has trouble finding apprentice. Lot of people interested to learn how to clean up a lens to make a few bucks. However, finding someone patient and committed enough to learn the craft to open up a mechanical camera and fix it is difficult. 

I will hold on to the film cameras for now and concentrate on selling some digital gear. Time to get lighter.....
First to go will be my M8 than some Pentax digital gear and lenses. I will keep my Leica glass as it seems to appreciate and doesn't take up much space...:)

I recently upgraded my daily shooters by picking up a used Leica Q and 10M....so when new gear comes in at this point, something has to go out.
I will never sell my M Monochrom so I'm pretty much covered by those three cameras along with all my Leica glass. That's really all I need.

• Like 1

I have a M3 and M6....use the M6 mainly but am still going to hang on to the M3....as people are saying above, if push comes to shove and those three repair experts are no longer working, ...best to have a backup. Heck, if I was younger, maybe I would be one of their apprentices...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aryel said:

I have the same concern. Not from the value perspective but from the user perspective. One of the best technician here told me recently that he has trouble finding apprentice. Lot of people interested to learn how to clean up a lens to make a few bucks. However, finding someone patient and committed enough to learn the craft to open up a mechanical camera and fix it is difficult. 

I hope that independent Leica film camera repairers like DAG and YYE continue to exist in the US, but, if push comes to shove, there are other options as well.  Like Cameraworks UK, Kanto Camera, and Leica itself.  Given these other options, I'm confident that I'll continue to be able to have my film Ms serviced for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Danner said:

... However, with respect to the M7, it is my understanding that the electronic exposure/shutter controller cannot be repaired, even by Leica.  Because it relies upon a custom integrated circuit, whose supplies are now fully depleted.  And, there is a record of them failing.  Perhaps the M6TTL (and maybe the M6) too, but that only kills the meter (and flash) controller.

I wasn't aware of that situation with the M7 - that would make me want to sell if I owned one. 

Given the above, there's something to be said for cameras like the M4-P and M-A.  Maybe it's just me, but i have never found metering by hand with an external light meter to be much of an inconvenience at all. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I wasn't aware of that situation with the M7 - that would make me want to sell if I owned one. 

Given the above, there's something to be said for cameras like the M4-P and M-A.  Maybe it's just me, but i have never found metering by hand with an external light meter to be much of an inconvenience at all. 

This has been covered so many times in recent months. My understanding is that Leica can still repair the M7, it is the M6TTL that is the problem. However only Leica can confirm this. I will still keep using both my M7 and my M6TTL.

• Thanks 1

If you can find utility out of using them again, I'd definitely recommend keeping them.  I'm 35, and grew up with Digital cameras.  I began shooting with film ~12 years ago, and probably never should have!  I have sold all digital gear except for a Leica M10 that I use for work.  Other than that, I have a few film M's that I prefer to use.  I develop B&W & C41 at home.  I have a couple high scanning options for dedicated personal and professional use, and I set up a darkroom ~2 years ago now.  Film is still very active (in my opinion) - just takes the patience & dedication that I believe it always required.  But, the tactile feeling of working with chemistry & my hands is more enjoyable than spending additional hours behind a computer screen for me personally - I do that enough as it is.  Hope you can enjoy them!  Best Regards!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Danner said:

All good points Herr Barnack.

However, with respect to the M7, it is my understanding that the electronic exposure/shutter controller cannot be repaired, even by Leica.  Because it relies upon a custom integrated circuit, whose supplies are now fully depleted.  And, there is a record of them failing.  Perhaps the M6TTL (and maybe the M6) too, but that only kills the meter (and flash) controller.

I have a M6TTL and recently learned of the meter issue....IMO the issue is  elatively rare and partly related to physical issues with the circuit board itself. I have the 0.85 version and it's the closet you can come to a modern M3. Even if the meter didn't work at some point it wouldn't make a huge difference as far as I'm concerned. Just one camera along with my M3 that I won't ever part with being essentially a 50 shooter all my life despite the 28 lens you presently see on there...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by PeterMM1
grammar
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, PeterMM1 said:

I have a M6TTL and recently learned of the meter issue....IMO the issue is  elatively rare and partly related to physical issues with the circuit board itself. I have the 0.85 version and it's the closet you can come to a modern M3. Even if the meter didn't work at some point it wouldn't make a huge difference as far as I'm concerned. Just one camera along with my M3 that I won't ever part with being essentially a 50 shooter all my life despite the 28 lens you presently see on there...

Failure of the meter is rare but should it occur you will also lose flash synchronisation. Otherwise you will still have a fully functioning camera.

20 hours ago, logan2z said:

I hope that independent Leica film camera repairers like DAG and YYE continue to exist in the US, but, if push comes to shove, there are other options as well.  Like Cameraworks UK, Kanto Camera, and Leica itself.  Given these other options, I'm confident that I'll continue to be able to have my film Ms serviced for the foreseeable future. 

For those of using their film M's regularly, this is more reason to have a spare in case you have to ship overseas and there is a backlog for repairs.  If it takes six to eight weeks to get your camera back it's likely the turnaround will be longer with fewer repairers.  

• Like 1

Never sell an early M camera...if working (not much to go wrong except the light meter), the demand will always be there. Film is slowly making a come-back as the younger generation is having an orgasm over ANYTHING retro, so...hold tight. Don't sell, no reason.

I had the exact same trio of Ms, except my M6 ttl is black. 
I wound up selling the M3 along with some lenses. 
Do I miss it sometimes? Yes. Do I need it anymore? No.

Because I wear glasses, I couldn’t appreciate the big viewfinder on the M3. Otherwise I would have kept it because the photos I took with it were some of my favorite. 

you will have to prise my Leica M3 from my cold dead hands

• Like 2