SL2-S HDMI output - SD card removal necessary for 10 bit?

simon_hsn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, 

On my SL (601) I am faced with the following issue:

“[...] If there are SD cards in the camera, it will use the 8-bit codecs, regardless of whether an HDMI connection is in use.  If there are no cards the signal will go out over HDMI in 10-bit depth.  So take them out.  This makes sense to me.  I don't see how the camera would have the capacity to run both codecs simultaneously.”

The topic has been already discussed here: 

Can anyone share their experience on that matter with the SL2-S?

- Do you have to take out the SD cards to get better external recording quality?
- Does the camera simultanously record, when the SD cards are in the camera while using an external recorder?

On 1/24/2021 at 4:55 AM, simon_hsn said:

On my SL (601) I am faced with the following issue:

“[...] If there are SD cards in the camera, it will use the 8-bit codecs, regardless of whether an HDMI connection is in use.  If there are no cards the signal will go out over HDMI in 10-bit depth.  So take them out.  This makes sense to me.  I don't see how the camera would have the capacity to run both codecs simultaneously.”

The topic has been already discussed here: 

That's a really old discussion. It doesn't apply to the current firmware. You can record 10-bit over HDMI with the SL if you trigger from the recorder (not the camera). The camera doesn't record to the card, so it doesn't need to convert to 8-bit.