Jump to content

Testing the Q2 out in the snow


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Holster may provide security from falling, but I wouldn’t consider it secure in risky urban environments where pickpockets, etc are a known problem.

But I’m with Nicci, and carry personal insurance on all my gear, covering all circumstances  outside warranty, even my own stupidity.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff but I totally disagree. The button securing the leather locking mechanism has a very tight tolerance and really helps to secure the camera. I wouldn't worry about the camera at all when it comes to pickpockets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I headed out with the Q2. I hadn't owned it 24 hours by this point but decided to find out how well it deals with inclement weather as we'd had a nice covering of snow over night. There's a local village that I'd been dying to photograph in this sort of weather for literally years, so I headed there to see what the Q2 would offer in terms of Image Quality and weather resistance, as the following quote on another thread yesterday intrigued me... Hello guest! Please register or sign

In Winnipeg our winters are cold and dry. After using a camera outside, before I come in, I place the camera in a sealed plastic bag - so the air in the bag is low humidity. I then bring the camera in and let it warm to room temperature before taking it out of the bag. This is to prevent condensation on and in the camera, likes happens with our glasses when we come in.

Yes I’m sure anybody who isn’t paranoid about taking their camera outside of their home will be reassured.  Short of padlocking it to my neck, I really don’t understand your consistent sarcasm and clear negativity.    I’ll buy what suits me. I’m really glad you’ve found your own option. Have a lovely day 😄

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Tight tolerances or not, in US you would just get mugged at gunpoint and would hand it over + phone and credit cards.

So they’d do that with any camera around your neck. What’s the holster got to do with it 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, w44neg said:

Sorry Jeff but I totally disagree. The button securing the leather locking mechanism has a very tight tolerance and really helps to secure the camera. I wouldn't worry about the camera at all when it comes to pickpockets.

Pockets have tight tolerances, too.  Hands free and out of direct sight...easy pickings for a pro.  

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Pockets have tight tolerances, too.  Hands free and out of direct sight...easy pickings for a pro.  

Jeff

Oh wow the sarcasm there when I was just making a point. I can’t fit a Q2 in any pocket I have, and I wouldn’t anyway. 
 

Much easier to unlock the button and lift the camera out of the holster. I’ve been pickpocketed in the past. That’s why they’re called pickpockets, not pick-holsters 😄

Edited by w44neg
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, w44neg said:

Oh wow the sarcasm there when I was just making a point. I can’t fit a Q2 in any pocket I have, and I wouldn’t anyway. 
 

Much easier to unlock the button and lift the camera out of the holster. I’ve been pickpocketed in the past. That’s why they’re called pickpockets, not pick-holsters 😄

You apparently missed the point, which simply was that the holster isn’t secure in a high theft environment.  This post contradicts post 41.  
 

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w44neg said:

So they’d do that with any camera around your neck. What’s the holster got to do with it 🤷‍♂️

Precisely - so why bother with a holster in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

Precisely - so why bother with a holster in the first place.

Because I bought it for convenience, not because I’m overly-worried about something that’s never happened to me 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w44neg said:

Because I bought it for convenience, not because I’m overly-worried about something that’s never happened to me 😄

I’m sure every poster on this forum must feel terribly reassured and relieved by your statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

I’m sure every poster on this forum must feel terribly reassured and relieved by your statement.

Yes I’m sure anybody who isn’t paranoid about taking their camera outside of their home will be reassured. 

Short of padlocking it to my neck, I really don’t understand your consistent sarcasm and clear negativity. 
 

I’ll buy what suits me. I’m really glad you’ve found your own option. Have a lovely day 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, fumigatus said:

Hi. Just a quick question: do you think the holster is a good solution bringing the Q2 when hiking in rough terrain with a backpack, cross-country skiing, hunting etc?

The only risk would be falling and hurting yourself because the camera is on the front of your body. It could be dangerous. Otherwise I love the holster. It’s a great solution as the camera is stuck in one position, not moving around like on a shoulder strap. 

Edited by w44neg
Link to post
Share on other sites

a few thoughts.

1. Weather sealing: I don't agree with all the posts that despite being dressed up with pretty disclaimers are essentially looking down their noses at your choice to take the Q2 out in the snow, and analogizing it for example with getting in a barrel and plunging down Niagara Falls (but thanks for making me laugh!). I mean really, talk about hyperbole. 

2. I also have a Q2 following my original Q which I regularly took out in the rain. I just kept it  under my jacket until I wanted to take a quick shot, then back under the jacket. I took the original Q on a 5 day hiking trip through the Scotland highlands where it rained about 70% of the time. Although I tried to keep it somewhat shielded from the rain, I didn't hesitate to take pictures in the rain. Note however, I used electrical tape to cover all openings including microphone openings. In the end I got pictures I was happy with and the camera never missed a beat, then or after the trip right up to when I sold it to get the Q2 at least a year later. 2018-9 London - Scotland - brick (smugmug.com)

3. All that said, with my Q2 I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to take it out in the rain as I did in Scotland, I'd just be sure to have the holes taped up and keep it under my jacket when not shooting. And in your case, shooting in the snow observing similar cautions shouldn't damage the camera in any way. In other words, this is not like getting in a barrel and going over Niagara Falls.

4. back to the real purpose of your thread: I enjoyed your images and love the subtle muted lighting of the snowy landscape. Good job. Keep using and enjoying your Q2 as you see fit, and don't let anyone who prefers to pamper their gear tell you otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, Leica Guy said:

I have read about that exact failure since I started on the forum 5 years ago. I would never use the holster. Too easy to not secure it. One drop and all the convenience would be totally negated. I like a good AdM cotton strap around my next. Very secure and super easy to keep the camera handy to grab. 

I tend to agree, especially since I simply use a camera neck strap secured by strong little rings from the hardware store to connect the neck strap to the camera lugs. However, I've got a niggling fear of the lugs coming loose and the camera falling to the ground. I'm always going to and fro with the Q2 slung over my shoulder, even when on my bike. Can't imagine how awful it would be if one of those lugs came loose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, jaapv said:

Not everybody like to throw away thousands of dollars. I don't pamper my cameras, but I don't take silly risks. If the conditions get inclement I will use my TL and for instance Summicron 40-C. In case I get unlucky the body will have cost me a few hundred dollars and M lenses are quite moisture-resistant - no electronics and well built-

I realize you're the moderator and have the twitter-like power to censor me, but I have to say despite your further disclaimers in this thread, that you are essentially telling the OP that he's throwing away thousands of dollars by taking the Q2 our in the snow, and worse, you're accusing him of being silly. For what it's worth, I vigorously disagree with you, not only on your comments that tend to insult the OP, but also the risks of taking the Q2 out in the snow. As I just posted, I took my original Q on a hiking trip in the Scotland highlands for 6 days where it rained constantly and I had no problems by observing some simple precautions. Moreover if you search the web you'll find posts of many people who praise the original Q's ruggedness in outdoor conditions, these people being photographers who love taking pictures and were out regularly with their Q's in all conditions. If those cams didn't suffer from environmental conditions, it's hard to imagine that the Q2 would given its limited sealing of which the Q had none. I would also argue that when the temperature is sufficient for snow, that it's actually less humid than it is for example where I am right now in Key West, and yet I've never had a problem with either my original Q or my Q2 in those conditions. Simply wiping off the snow on the camera from time to time to keep snow from accumulating, and also taping up the holes, should be more than sufficient to prevent the damage that you imply is certain to happen to the Q2 in snowy conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brickftl said:

a few thoughts.

1. Weather sealing: I don't agree with all the posts that despite being dressed up with pretty disclaimers are essentially looking down their noses at your choice to take the Q2 out in the snow, and analogizing it for example with getting in a barrel and plunging down Niagara Falls (but thanks for making me laugh!). I mean really, talk about hyperbole. 

2. I also have a Q2 following my original Q which I regularly took out in the rain. I just kept it  under my jacket until I wanted to take a quick shot, then back under the jacket. I took the original Q on a 5 day hiking trip through the Scotland highlands where it rained about 70% of the time. Although I tried to keep it somewhat shielded from the rain, I didn't hesitate to take pictures in the rain. Note however, I used electrical tape to cover all openings including microphone openings. In the end I got pictures I was happy with and the camera never missed a beat, then or after the trip right up to when I sold it to get the Q2 at least a year later. 2018-9 London - Scotland - brick (smugmug.com)

3. All that said, with my Q2 I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to take it out in the rain as I did in Scotland, I'd just be sure to have the holes taped up and keep it under my jacket when not shooting. And in your case, shooting in the snow observing similar cautions shouldn't damage the camera in any way. In other words, this is not like getting in a barrel and going over Niagara Falls.

4. back to the real purpose of your thread: I enjoyed your images and love the subtle muted lighting of the snowy landscape. Good job. Keep using and enjoying your Q2 as you see fit, and don't let anyone who prefers to pamper their gear tell you otherwise.

I smiled when I saw your post about Testing the Q2 out in the snow when I saw your Fort Lauderdale location 😂  , but your comments are spot on. The Q’s are meant to be used. 
I enjoyed your travel photos. Where in Scotland did you trek? I’ve been to Scotland twice and loved it. I didn’t have the Q2 in Scotland but used the M9 on the first trip and the SL on the second. I used the Q2 in Sicily and Croatia and loved using it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brickftl said:

I realize you're the moderator and have the twitter-like power to censor me, but I have to say despite your further disclaimers in this thread, that you are essentially telling the OP that he's throwing away thousands of dollars by taking the Q2 our in the snow, and worse, you're accusing him of being silly. For what it's worth, I vigorously disagree with you, not only on your comments that tend to insult the OP, but also the risks of taking the Q2 out in the snow. As I just posted, I took my original Q on a hiking trip in the Scotland highlands for 6 days where it rained constantly and I had no problems by observing some simple precautions. Moreover if you search the web you'll find posts of many people who praise the original Q's ruggedness in outdoor conditions, these people being photographers who love taking pictures and were out regularly with their Q's in all conditions. If those cams didn't suffer from environmental conditions, it's hard to imagine that the Q2 would given its limited sealing of which the Q had none. I would also argue that when the temperature is sufficient for snow, that it's actually less humid than it is for example where I am right now in Key West, and yet I've never had a problem with either my original Q or my Q2 in those conditions. Simply wiping off the snow on the camera from time to time to keep snow from accumulating, and also taping up the holes, should be more than sufficient to prevent the damage that you imply is certain to happen to the Q2 in snowy conditions.

Forewarned is forearmed - this forum cannot risk that a camera dies "because LUF said so" . Taping up the holes has no additional waterproofing effect - the microphone membrane is watertight. If you had ever read my posts you would know that I have  no objection to using Leicas in adverse conditions , quite the opposite - I even suggested to start the Dunked Camera Club  when Tina Manley had dropped her M8 into a river in Honduras. But users should be aware of the risks and not advocate taking them irresponsibly.
I strongly resent the suggestion that I would misuse my position to stifle a discussion I am involved in and your political implication is against the forum rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

who in this thread has advocated irresponsible use of the camera in adverse conditions?

And now you're accusing me of making "political implications" just so you can then say I'm in violation of rules? You'd be wise to engage in thoughtful and critical self examination of your initial posts rather than reject any inference that they were wrong. Simply because you're a moderator doesn't mean that everything you express is beyond reproach nor that people who call you on it are now in violation of rules.

Edited by brickftl
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoySmith said:

I smiled when I saw your post about Testing the Q2 out in the snow when I saw your Fort Lauderdale location 😂  , but your comments are spot on. The Q’s are meant to be used. 
I enjoyed your travel photos. Where in Scotland did you trek? I’ve been to Scotland twice and loved it. I didn’t have the Q2 in Scotland but used the M9 on the first trip and the SL on the second. I used the Q2 in Sicily and Croatia and loved using it.

We met our group in Inverness and hiked around that area. Then last few days we hiked in various parts of the Isle of Skye. I fell in love with Scotland, would move there in a heartbeat although my husband says I'd be miserable in the constant cold/wet weather compared to Florida :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...