BREAKING NEWS

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 9.1.2022 um 10:13 schrieb Simone_DF:

Well maybe he was also being coy, and not going to disclose future commercial plans to a group of random Leica users either. NDAs etc.

If that were true, he would not have said that Leica has just recently stopped development work on a hybrid rangefinder (which is what he also said).

2 minutes ago, wizard said:

If that were true, he would not have said that Leica has just recently stopped development work on a hybrid rangefinder (which is what he also said).

There will not be any hybrid rangefinder. There will just be an EVF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wizard said:

Sure, I believe you, they stopped development of a hybrid solution for the time being. But technology evolves. Leica could start looking at it again when the tech is there. When the M8 was released we were also told that there couldn't be a full frame M, yet here we are.

Also, I don't know about Leica, but in my company, disclosing future developments with an outsider is a 100% sure way to get fired. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Sure, I believe you, they stopped development of a hybrid solution for the time being. But technology evolves. Leica could start looking at it again when the tech is there. When the M8 was released we were also told that there couldn't be a full frame M, yet here we are.

Also, I don't know about Leica, but in my company, disclosing future developments with an outsider is a 100% sure way to get fired. 

i think a hybrid VF would need a much more juicy processor as well.

24 minutes ago, frame-it said:

leica M processors aint exactly the fastest ;)

The Maestro III drives the SL2, including its autofocus. It should be more than enough to drive a hybrid EVF, but there may be other things still preventing an optimal implementation, internal space requirements being one of them. 

On 1/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Ouroboros said:

I've never bought a film Leica M that is reliant on batteries or has that horrible plastic red dot on it. I hope, probably in vain, that a 'new' film M isn't simply a revised M7.....complete with nasty plastic red dot.

I'd probably still buy one anyway.....

The red dots were never plastic on the cameras, only on binoculars. They are made out of aluminum and then painted.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:46 AM, Knipsknecht said:

Hmm, Fuji can do it for more than ten years. So, where’s the problem?

Because compared to the M optical viewfinder, the X cameras with the hybrid finder have the optical quality of a child's View Master toy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2022 at 6:06 AM, andybarton said:

I bet there is a mule camera or two out there, with internal EVFs.

If I was a tester for Leica and they gave me an M mule with an internal EVF, I would fake my own death, and they would never find me again 😂

Edit: At least until it was time for a CLA.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Haha 2

I am more of an classic engraving on the top plate kind of guy, with no red dot. I made Leica do the black dot on the M6 TTL LHSA Black Paint. Micro Systems made them stop doing black dots with the M8.2.

To me, the red dot looks like a bulls-eye and calls too much attention. One reason I didn't go with the original M10-R and got another M10-P instead. Now, the M10-R BP is another matter!

• Like 5

On 1/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, Knipsknecht said:

Hmm, Fuji can do it for more than ten years. So, where’s the problem?

Ys, but Fuji has no rangefinder mechanism, so they use that optical angle to the right to view the small screen.

Now you might say, then place the screen downwards. But having two semi translucent screens is not possible (good..) in the optical path of the top housing either, I’d think.

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, Alberti said:

Ys, but Fuji has no rangefinder mechanism, so they use that optical angle to the right to view the small screen.

Now you might say, then place the screen downwards. But having two semi translucent screens is not possible (good..) in the optical path of the top housing either, I’d think.

With the Xpro3 it is a very thin membrane that pops up and covers the optical finder. Not sure what you mean by optical angle or two semi translucent screens.  It is not translucent, it is a screen that pops up.

• 2 weeks later...