BREAKING NEWS

Steven

34 minutes ago, Steven said:

Sorry, I didn't realise people wanted the secret. Consider this thread closed. Won't post any info anymore. Sincere apologies. 

Of course people want the secret - we live for it🙂.
I welcome your posts, whatever info you're willing to pass on.
We're just passing the time in cheerful conversation. No one can do anything till it is announced anyway.

• Like 2

SOME people.

It’s not a question of being “secret” or any of the other responses, nor is an apology required.  It’s simply an expression of preference by some here (not everyone) that speculation is fun.  Leica’s desire to control its product releases, as shown by very rigid NDA’s and to retain control over its new product timelines (it’s roadmap for SL lenses has come back to bite it, when if failed to meet its own timeline), is something to be respected.

Despite @Steven‘s protestations, his information can only be one of three things - (1) complete fiction; (2) disclosed by someone in breach of their NDA; or (3) part of Leica’s own product leaking strategy.  I doubt it’s #1 or #3.  Now, I’m the first to admit that, if I went into a dealer, or strayed into @jonoslack’s house, I would also love to know more.

But there’s something about posting it here, in an “I have a secret” kind of way I feel is distasteful.  Just my opinion …

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO whether @Steven's info comes from #2 in your list is not at all his issue but rather that of his dealer and he could likely posit that it is in fact a deliberate strand of #3...I don't think his dealer will somehow not be aware that he is posting on LUF.

Given that most dealers appear to have closed-out M10/M10-P inventory and are only taking orders for M10-R and M10-M bodies I can't imagine that Leica are imposing the strictest level of NDAs as the dealers will not be sitting on lots of unsold "old" stock, and if the M11 is, as Steven is hinting, "polarising" one imagines that there will still be a market for the M10-R/M post-announcement.

vor einer Stunde schrieb LocalHero1953:

Of course people want the secret - we live for it🙂.
I welcome your posts, whatever info you're willing to pass on.
We're just passing the time in cheerful conversation. No one can do anything till it is announced anyway.

I absolutely agree it is fun to speculate. But if you know that the TO has handled the camera already it is no speculation anymore and at least takes the fun from the official announcement.

• Like 1

I don;t see harm in posting such "rumors" about possible coming products - those of us who aren't interested don't need to read them. I don't care much about future product speculation, as the M10 is most likely my last camera, and I certainly have all the lenses I need. But since 1968 I've tended to run 15 years or so between new camera purchases, so I'm not typical.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elmars said:

I don´t like spreading rumors such like these about the M11, even if they are true. It is like telling children, what they will get for Christmas. The happiness of surprise is gone.

It is of course important for someone.  The solution could be not to follow this thread.  For others, it keeps alive their enthusiasm for Leica.  This confirms that Leica is evolving.  I would like to read rumors.  Then I can sort myself whether I believe in it or not.  So no I do not agree.  I like to read with ☺️

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

SOME people.

It’s not a question of being “secret” or any of the other responses, nor is an apology required.  It’s simply an expression of preference by some here (not everyone) that speculation is fun.  Leica’s desire to control its product releases, as shown by very rigid NDA’s and to retain control over its new product timelines (it’s roadmap for SL lenses has come back to bite it, when if failed to meet its own timeline), is something to be respected.

Despite @Steven‘s protestations, his information can only be one of three things - (1) complete fiction; (2) disclosed by someone in breach of their NDA; or (3) part of Leica’s own product leaking strategy.  I doubt it’s #1 or #3.  Now, I’m the first to admit that, if I went into a dealer, or strayed into @jonoslack’s house, I would also love to know more.

But there’s something about posting it here, in an “I have a secret” kind of way I feel is distasteful.  Just my opinion …

It's not #2

I strongly suspect #3. Apparent leaks like this do no harm to Leica's marketing strategy and reputation, and every sign of increasing possible sales by increasing the excitement levels. When Leica wants to, it can take us completely by surprise - the SL was one case, and I think the Q was another. By contrast they managed the official release of preliminary info about the XVario in such a cack-handed way ('the new mini M') that it did them and the product a lot of harm - I'm sure sales were reduced as a result. Far better to let info appear as apparent leaks, rumours and guesses, so no one makes too many fixed assumptions about the new product - and so minimising their disappointment.  

But those who don't like seeing such speculation, rumours and apparent leaks have an obvious solution to hand.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I strongly suspect #3. Apparent leaks like this do no harm to Leica's marketing strategy and reputation, and every sign of increasing possible sales by increasing the excitement levels

Exactly. It was the “leaked” M9 brochure that prompted me to order the camera a few weeks before the official announcement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

SOME people.

Hi there 

Without actually confirming it, but by denying #2 @Stevenhas implied that it's #3, which makes sense really, otherwise his source would be irritated by the rumours . . . . but then I suppose it could be #1 and it's all rubbish! We'll have to wait and see, Personally I enjoy the speculation very much!

all the best

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

vor 24 Minuten schrieb jonoslack:

Hi there 

Without actually confirming it, but by denying #2 @Stevenhas implied that it's #3, which makes sense really, otherwise his source would be irritated by the rumours . . . . but then I suppose it could be #1 and it's all rubbish! We'll have to wait and see, Personally I enjoy the speculation very much!

all the best

Me too 😉

• Like 1

Not even leaks are what they used to be... maybe the IMDb comment strategy could be implemented here and every new leaked rumor marked with red "SPOILER" tag by OP so nobody is insulted, agitated, irritated or left with bad taste. It would be a very 2021 "woke" thing to do.

16 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Not even leaks are what they used to be... maybe the IMDb comment strategy could be implemented here and every new leaked rumor marked with red "SPOILER" tag by OP so nobody is insulted, agitated, irritated or left with bad taste. It would be a very 2021 "woke" thing to do.

Or those who don’t want to know don’t have to come on a thread called breaking news ! 
But it’s true that the breaking news can sometimes be helpful to some users  with their buying decisions 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Hi there 

all the best

Or maybe there’s #4! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2