BREAKING NEWS

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is probably because of the worldwide chips shortage. I'm just speculating, but Leica is a small company, it doesn't have the leverage of a big camera brand.

Most tech news / analysts foresee the semiconductor crisis to continue until late 2022, compounded by the difficulty of finding highly skilled workers that could help ramp up production

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Simone_DF:

This is probably because of the worldwide chips shortage. I'm just speculating, but Leica is a small company, it doesn't have the leverage of a big camera brand.

Most tech news / analysts foresee the semiconductor crisis to continue until late 2022, compounded by the difficulty of finding highly skilled workers that could help ramp up production

Yes, I agree however Leica is not only small, the company's market is small too. No idea, how many M11 Leica will ship in 2022 but I guess numbers will be under 10000 units 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Plus the lead time. for the steppers and scanners to be built, minimum 2 years for the more simple ones, 5 for the advanced-chip ones, according to an Interview I heard with the ASML CEO.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, Steven said:

M11 LAUNCH DELAYED

Announcement now targeted for January 2022, due to some difficulties with the sourcing of an electronic component. 

Sorry to be the bad news bearer. And things could get worst....

OMG, wave our arms around in the air and panic, GAS is delayed yet again, and all those photos I missed with my M10 because I didn't have an M11! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, 250swb said:

OMG, wave our arms around in the air and panic, GAS is delayed yet again, and all those photos I missed with my M10 because I didn't have an M11! 

Well at least it gives everyone more time to either happily speculate on the features/improvements the M11 will bring, or to bemoan how those self-same "improvements" will move the M11 away from the "Essence of the M"

Edited by NigelG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Gives me time to run more sandpaper over my m10r. By the time m11 arrives, my m10r will be all golden 

Or more time to hone your technique before the M11-BP hopefully arrives 😉

Unfortunately the Jim Marshall set at f22 is sold... https://f22cameras.com/en/leica-m-monochrom-jim-marshall-set  but I think I did see an 'Asset Set' somewhere on my internet travels https://leicarumors.com/2019/09/28/new-leica-m10-p-sc-asset-limited-edition-brass-camera.aspx/

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Steven said:

So, I held the M11. I also saw a very early prototype of the Q3. And I also saw the next film M. Exiting times coming. 

Any details on the next film M? I'm guessing it's a M6 classic remake? Not a M6 TTL or M7? I think this would make it easier and cheaper to build since they could use a lot of the the same parts and assembly tooling they use for the currently produced MP.

10 minutes ago, Crem said:

Any details on the next film M? I'm guessing it's a M6 classic remake? Not a M6 TTL or M7? I think this would make it easier and cheaper to build since they could use a lot of the the same parts and assembly tooling they use for the currently produced MP.

Good guess. It’s exactly what it. 
The only thing you didn’t get quite right is that it will be cheaper. It won’t be that cheap of a camera. I think that leica prides themselves of being expensive. It’s synonym of quality and they don’t intend to sell the m6 remake for cheap. 

21 minutes ago, Steven said:

Good guess. It’s exactly what it. 
The only thing you didn’t get quite right is that it will be cheaper. It won’t be that cheap of a camera. I think that leica prides themselves of being expensive. It’s synonym of quality and they don’t intend to sell the m6 remake for cheap. 

Thanks for the info on all this. I also agree that "cheap" probably isn't that "cheap". If I was a product manager at Leica I'd probably price it right around $4,000 USD without tax and make it a limited edition of 1000 units since we all know they won't be able to make enough of them. That makes it very attractive compared to a used M6 classic when I look at Ebay prices. So cheaper than the MP/M-A which is $5400 or so USD if you can even find one. I'm guessing it will share almost 100% of the internals of the MP. So really the "cheap" part is building it without a brass case and Leica willing to have a lower profit margin to test the market. All speculation of course. I have zero inside info. If they price it less than $4000 USD I will be in complete shock.

I'm probably completely wrong and it will be more expensive than a MP. So maybe I should have said $8000 USD. This is a fun guessing game.

Edited by Crem

Just now, Crem said:

Thanks for the info on all this. I also agree that "cheap" probably isn't that "cheap". If I was a product manager at Leica I'd probably price it right around $4,000 USD without tax and make it a limited edition of 1000 units since we all know they won't be able to make enough of them. That makes it very attractive compared to a used M6 classic when I look at Ebay prices. So cheaper than the MP/M-A which is $5400 or so USD if you can even find one. I'm guessing it will share almost 100% of the internals of the MP. So really the "cheap" part is building it without a brass case and Leica willing to have a lower profit margin to test the market. All speculation of course. I have zero inside info. If they price it less than $4000 USD I will be in complete shock.

Limited edition is a very special thing to Leica. The M10-R which is *marketed* as limited edition is not an official limited edition at all. Officially, anything with *serial numbers engraved* is a limited edition, but a lot of things can be *marketed* as limited edition by Leica - yet they are just planned series.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steven said:

Nope. I think Wetzlar is the last place on earth where someone could walk in and see the m11 without permission. 

I'm guessing you have a friend in the UK that happens to be a beta tester?😄

1 minute ago, Crem said:

There is one cosmetic changes from the regular M6, though. But I cannot tell you what it is. 
I do think that this cosmetic change will actually make the value of the old M6 rise even higher. 

Regarding the price, you won’t be shocked. No worries. 

• Like 1