BREAKING NEWS

Steven

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

@Steven, as you like 35mm lenses, have you considered the stainless steel version of the 35 Summilux ASPH (FLE)?  It is the best made Leica lens I have ever used.  It’s made of solid stainless, so it is smooth and beautiful in the hands.  Unfortunately, only 600 were made, and they were paired with the M Edition 60, so you’d have to prise one out of the hands of an M60 owner, or buy the set …

It would have been my favourite Leica lens ever, if I liked the 35mm field of view.

Hello, 

Thank you for you message. I have seen a couple pass buy in the passed couple months. It does look beautiful. The problem is, I hate the FLE. Never bonded with it, and always ended up selling it. 

I'm about to receive a silver FLE again, but that was against my own will. It comes coupled with a body I just bought so I had no choice. 

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

Hello, 

Thank you for you message. I have seen a couple pass buy in the passed couple months. It does look beautiful. The problem is, I hate the FLE. Never bonded with it, and always ended up selling it. 

I'm about to receive a silver FLE again, but that was against my own will. It comes coupled with a body I just bought so I had no choice. 

Your love and hate reactions to lenses completely mystify me, I’d have to say. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Your love and hate reactions to lenses completely mystify me, I’d have to say. 

I know what I want in life. I’m strongly opinionated. 

But I’ll give it a third chance. I have no choice. 

34 minutes ago, Steven said:

How is the M60 ? It’s an M240 with no screen ? I find this camera beautiful. I would have bought it if it wasn’t bad in low light and so thick. 

I sold it.

Much as I loved the concept, I wasn’t in love with the underlying M240 body; but, having auto white balance, DNG files only, and a clean body with only physical controls was a very pure concept.  In reality, I prefer the M10-D.  Using a limited edition camera (with all the fuss, white gloves etc that went with it) was a complete turn off.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven said:

How is the M60 ? It’s an M240 with no screen ? I find this camera beautiful. I would have bought it if it wasn’t bad in low light and so thick. 

Hi Steven. M60 - I have MD without screen and with ISO setting on the back. (Same as M60)  I would also like to have a better censor.  But in 90% of the pictures it's ok.  It's such a nice camera.  Battery life is very large.  You can have another camera for those days when you need better light.

47 minutes ago, Kim Dahl said:

Hi Steven. M60 - I have MD without screen and with ISO setting on the back. (Same as M60)  I would also like to have a better censor.  But in 90% of the pictures it's ok.  It's such a nice camera.  Battery life is very large.  You can have another camera for those days when you need better light.

It is a beautiful camera indeed. It reminds me of the MP classic, with the silver ISO dial. If only the body was not as thick. That really bothers me. 

The low light is not the issue. As long as I can shoot at 1600 ISO, all is ok. 

Edited by Steven

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Steven:

It is a beautiful camera indeed. It reminds me of the MP classic, with the silver ISO dial. If only the body was not as thick. That really bothers me. 

The low light is not the issue. As long as I can shoot at 1600 ISO, all is ok. 

1600 ISO starts being critical for a M240 ... I bet, you would never use this camera in low light - if at all ...

The M60 is pure rangefinder joy.  It sells for the same price as a M240–P, which it was.  The camera has a unique feel, everything is premium and smooth, beyond normal Leica smooth, it has to be experienced to understand. Leica tolerances feel tighter than normal M bodies, including the latest iteration of the M10.  They did something unique that I haven’t seen elsewhere, the brightness sensor window Is rectangular contributing to a beautiful aesthetic.   I love using it, the basics, pure and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wonzo said:

The M60 hasnˋ t even got strap lugs ... for the purity of the design ... just incredible !

That’s why it’s so nice to hold - combined with the lack of a screen/dials beneath your thumb. It doesn’t feel as thick “in the hand” as the M240.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

You do have a choice, you can sell it. It is a truly excellent lens that is in demand.

I bought it as part of a very very rare combo. I do not ever intend to sell that kit, but we never know. If I ever want to get rid of it, if I sold the lens to get a few thousand bucks, I might regret it a lot. So I plan to leave it in the box for 20 years. 

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

So I plan to leave it in the box for 20 years. 

Good choice - that is what it was made for. Make sure it is nice and dry and not in it's leather pouch to avoid fungus.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wonzo said:

1600 ISO starts being critical for a M240 ... I bet, you would never use this camera in low light - if at all ...

I have the regular M60 AKA the M-D and ISO 1600 is like ISO 3200 on the M10 (I had one). 

I keep wondering why low-light capabilities is so much touted in camera commercials- most, if not all the famous pictures taken (by Magnum photographers for instance, or the World Press photos) were below ISO 1600. Most human activity is done in daylight (yes, I know, not all human activity 😃).

But I get it: an ISO number is a more straightforward way to say that the new camera is vastly better than the old. It is also easier for us to say that the old camera is not state of the art anymore. When the M240 appeared they touted the vastly better ISO and video capabilities that would make the M9 obsolete. When the M10 came out, it was the ISO again but this time the camera was thinner. The M11 will have incredible ISO capabilities (for sure) and let's see what more.

I mean it's like in sports cars: it's so much easier to say that the new car reaches 100 km/h quicker than the old model. Does that make the new car more enjoyable? Not always

10 hours ago, Steven said:

I bought it as part of a very very rare combo. I do not ever intend to sell that kit, but we never know. If I ever want to get rid of it, if I sold the lens to get a few thousand bucks, I might regret it a lot. So I plan to leave it in the box for 20 years. 

Ralph Gibson set?