SL2-S Handgrip

Daniel81

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know we all have different hand sizes.  My hands are not large - even just a tad on the small size.  I have had an SL for several years now and just love the size of the handgrip - my hand fully embraces it and I feel very secure walking about and holding the camera.   The SL2-S handgrip seems considerably smaller (I think its the combination of it not projecting out quite as far, the indentation on the inside side and its angling outward) - to the point I just don't feel secure holding it.  It makes me feel insecure walking about and like I need to use both hands.  Has anyone else had this experience?  Does anyone know if putting a good leather half case over the SL2-S will enlarge the hand grip (and extra few millimeters on the outside and inside and a covering over of the inside indented area)  sufficiently to give me more like the SL handgrip size for my hand?

Edited by Daniel81

20 hours ago, Daniel81 said:

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, the same for me. In particular the rubberized indent, while loved by most, in my hands squeezes the fingers a bit against the camera. Overall I prefer the grip of the SL over the SL2. A few years ago I visited Arte di Mano at Photokina and particularly liked the half-cases with Rally or Minerva Box leather. Definitely more substance to the grip and the leather is a very nice touch to the fingers. Not sure how practical it is with access to card, battery, USB-connector etc.

Alternatively, have you looked at the RRS L-bracket? While it does not add thickness to the grip, it does add height and bulk. It makes the total feeling a bit more secure.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yes!  you echo my experience fully.  The SL grip is just fantastic in my hands - I can walk around with that camera for hours and it feels solid, substantial and secure.  The SL2-S grip falls short of that significantly.  Well, I just ordered both a leather half case (not worried about the minute or two it may take to replace a battery or card) and the herringbone strap - hopefully that combination will give me the extra walkaround secure feeling I am looking for.  It matters!  Great idea about the RRS L-bracket  . . . I'll be getting one of those anyway, so I will find out.

Edited by Daniel81

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I disliked the SL grip intensely. Used it once and now it's in a cupboard. Maybe I will like the SL2 grip? Probably not.

Gordon

Are you referring to the SL or the detachable handgrip? I've been reading this thread as discussing the integral grip design.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Are you referring to the SL or the detachable handgrip? I've been reading this thread as discussing the integral grip design.

Like my other Leica cameras - I added the Thumbs Up - I use the provided Leica SL2-S strap ( which is long enough for cross body) and the Thumbs Up. Perfect for me.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, OR120 said:

Like my other Leica cameras - I added the Thumbs Up - I use the provided Leica SL2-S strap ( which is long enough for cross body) and the Thumbs Up. Perfect for me.

I’ve struggled with the Match Thumbs Up. It’s difficult for my thumb to find a comfortable fit; it’s too short and the curve too abrupt. I continue to look for other options. i have arthritis in my right hand so the grip is an issue. 

I enjoyed the SL grip. I shot the camera for 5 years and never had a problem with it. I didn’t expect to like the SL2 grip but after testing it and now owning an SL2-S I actually prefer the new grip. 

I also used a RRS bottom plate on my SL because it extended the grip and protected my palm from the sharp edge of the bottom of the camera. On the SL2-S the grip is good enough that I really don’t need the RRS bottom plate so I’m torn because I like the protection it provides and it offers a quick and easy tripod mount for my RRS gear. 

• 9 months later...

Hi

Can someone tell me if the SL2/SL2-S hand grip has a joystick (for back button focus)? This is not so clear from the online stores or literature.

Thanks!

edit: sorry I realise this thread is about the SL2 grip on the body, I was talking about the accessory hand grip, oops :)

Edited by hoolyproductions

On 1/5/2022 at 4:52 AM, hoolyproductions said:

Hi

Can someone tell me if the SL2/SL2-S hand grip has a joystick (for back button focus)? This is not so clear from the online stores or literature.

Thanks!

edit: sorry I realise this thread is about the SL2 grip on the body, I was talking about the accessory hand grip, oops :)

it does, but I find it challenging to be beneficial . one battery in camera and one on the grip. but sometimes the camera battery goes down first.

• Like 1

Hello Daniel,

I "echo" your perceptions about the handgrips - I have an SL and an SL2-S, and with large palms and relatively short fingers share the experience you describe.

If you look at Chris tribble's thread about wear on the SL2-S leatherette near that indent, for protection he bought a half case from

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274866214936  

I ordered one too - and it provides that extra couple of mm each side of the grip, as well as a cover for the area where fingers rub.  For the money it really is well made. It does the job of making the grip a little larger, as well as protecting the body near the indent and all round the base plate.

All the best for 2022,

Graeme