New Special Edition: The Leica M10-P "Reporter" in Kevlar Cover

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/18/2021 at 4:44 PM, LeicaS2 said:

OK,

ekg64, that's a very nice bag, so you motivated me to get this ONA Bond Street Camera Bag and Insert - Olive, 2019 Limited Anniversary Edition from the Leica Store Miami.

They offered it as a green Valentine this past Sunday and it arrived today. I'd promote it further but there are supposedly only 100 iIn the world and Miami now shows sold out. The bag holds the reporter and an extra three lenses stacked with a coupler. Thanks Josh. My photo may not show it correctly, but the colors are an almost perfect match.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Are you satisfied with how the COOPH strap in Olive looks with the Reporter paint color? Looks like it matches in this shot, but the white balance in the shot looks a bit warm so it's hard to tell for sure.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hdmesa,

Quite satisfied, but no, it is not an exact match. This shot was under a halogen lamp.

I bought it as a temporary strap until I get a special order camo-2 strap from Harry Benz. 
Much of the strap is black leather. Only the paracord is olive. I miss understood how little of the strap is olive. But I still like it better than I expected.

Jack

Edited by LeicaS2
Misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

Hdmesa,

Quite satisfied, but no, it is not an exact match. This shot was under a halogen lamp.

I bought it as a temporary strap until I get a special order camo-2 strap from Harry Benz. 
Much of the strap is black leather. Only the paracord is olive. I miss understood how little of the strap is olive. But I still like it better than I expected.

Jack

Thank you for the feedback and photo. Looks like the strap still matches — reminds me of two colors from the same camo pattern.

My reporter arrived today from the Miami store. I put my black Hawkesmill "Kensington" strap on there until the COOPH Paracord strap pictured in the Leica promo photos arrives. I think I may keep the Hawkesmill on there, though, and put the COOPH on my Q-P. The smaller size and compact stowage of the Hawkesmill make it a nice fit for the M. I also like how the tan raw leather underside looks against the Reporter green. The green is darker than some of the photos in this thread – it's exactly the hue and value of the Leica promo photos, at least in indoor lighting. I haven't looked at it out in the sun yet, so I'm sure the color will change depending on the light. The Kevlar cladding provides a nice grip while still having a soft tactile feel to it – very difficult to describe, but Leica nailed it on the texture pattern and material here.

The camera fits in the Leica Combination bag by Billingham along with the Q2M quite nicely.

This is my first M body, and I'm impressed – what incredible craftsmanship and engineering. As for ergonomics, It's going to take some getting used to supporting it from below with my left hand instead of holding most of the weight on the right side like I do with the Q. I don't want to put a case/grip on the Reporter since it will interfere with how the kevlar is supposed to naturally fade with UV exposure into the same green as the body. I might get a thumb grip in the meantime to help out on the right side a bit with balance. I'm blown away by how cool the retro red LED exposure info digits are in the rangefinder – very slick while still retro. Focusing using the rangefinder patch is easier than I expected. Even though I need reading glasses for my phone (+2 to +2.5) and computer (+1), I can see the rangefinder patch just fine at the virtual 2m distance the rangefinder display seems to sit at in 3D space – almost exactly the same distance as the heads-up display on a car windshield. So if you can focus your eyes at 2m, you can use the M10 rangefinder without a diopter, though perhaps a mild magnification would just make it a little better.

I got the 50 Cron as the one lens for it (not counting the Reporter edition lens that's rumored to be coming, which of course I will have to acquire somehow after recovering from this purchase). The small size of the 50 f/2 is impressive, but I can't say I'm as impressed with the feel of the lens as I am with the Q/Q2 lens, including the feel of the manual focusing. I guess it's expected that the Summicron feel should be just a notch below that of the Summilux, even if it is the Summilux of the Q/Q2. The 50 Cron feels about on par with a small Contax Zeiss C/Y like the 45 Tessar pancake (mine was unopened, new-old stock from the mid-90s, so no I'm not comparing it to the feel of the typical C/Y 30 year old lens). I do very much like the small size, integrated hood, and sharpness at f/2, so I can see this lens will get under my skin sooner rather than later. I do need to get used to where the focus ring is – I keep grabbing the aperture ring out of muscle memory from the Q.

Overall I can say the combo is worth what it cost. I don't think there is another camera body in current production with this level of engineering and build quality. It reminds me of the something like the medium format Mamiya 6/7 cameras more than it does a digital camera. I was going to purchase the GFX 100S + GF 80, but I'm glad I went this route. The M is less, and it is also much, much more.

• Like 6

Glad you like it so far.

If you have a Q2, you already have a 28mm lens. I too am watching for the 28mm reporter, and am told why not just spend less money on a Q2? And you already have a Q2. I do not need one more Leica system, but I may need that new 35mm APO which is why I keep saying black lenses on the reporter look great.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LeicaS2 said:

Glad you like it so far.

If you have a Q2, you already have a 28mm lens. I too am watching for the 28mm reporter, and am told why not just spend less money on a Q2? And you already have a Q2. I do not need one more Leica system, but I may need that new 35mm APO which is why I keep saying black lenses on the reporter look great.

If I do get the 28 Reporter it will be simply to have the matching set. Also it gives me the option to just take one camera instead of two when I want to. That 35 APO does look like it may be the holy grail of M lenses, but I’m afraid I would want to attach it to an M10R or M10M Leitz Wetzlar :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

COOPH strap arrived. The olive is a pretty close match for the Reporter paint color, but the natural sheen of the paracord material makes it look a little brighter. I got the longer 126cm strap, which is perfect for cross body wear. The paracord is great support for the weight of the M.

• Like 3

I wonder how well Leica thought through this idea of Kevlar cladding. While it's really difficult to penetrate Kevlar, it always frays at the edges unless you seal it or cover/protect the edges somehow. And the surface fibers in high-wear areas is also starting to loosen/soften up like an old stuffed animal.

Wear at the back right edge from less than a week of use:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I wonder how well Leica thought through this idea of Kevlar cladding. While it's really difficult to penetrate Kevlar, it always frays at the edges unless you seal it or cover/protect the edges somehow. And the surface fibers in high-wear areas is also starting to loosen/soften up like an old stuffed animal.

Wear at the back right edge from less than a week of use:

Edges on mine are similar but not bothersome. I attribute the fray to the loose-thread type of material. I like the idea of the kevlar wearing over time and am interested to see how the use causes this material to evolve...or fail!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, calijax said:

Edges on mine are similar but not bothersome. I attribute the fray to the loose-thread type of material. I like the idea of the kevlar wearing over time and am interested to see how the use causes this material to evolve...or fail!

At least it's not just mine :) I don't mind the worn look over time, but I'm hoping the cladding doesn't become a source of lint flecks being right next to the lens mount and all.

• Like 1

Ok, decided to look at the Kevlar cladding in the bright sunlight – yikes. This just doesn't work for me on a camera that's supposed to be tough – looks like a wool sock that's falling apart, and I don't want to have to use a lint roller on the camera every time I want to change a lens. Thanks to Josh at Leica Miami for allowing me to return this for an M10-R.

• Like 6

vor 20 Minuten schrieb hdmesa:

Ok, decided to look at the Kevlar cladding in the bright sunlight – yikes. This just doesn't work for me on a camera that's supposed to be tough – looks like a wool sock that's falling apart, and I don't want to have to use a lint roller on the camera every time I want to change a lens. Thanks to Josh at Leica Miami for allowing me to return this for an M10-R. ...

Looks like hand-knitted by grandma...😀

2 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

Or worse. Kevlar when used for ballistic protection is put into some kind of carrier, which protects it against wear, body oils, etc. Multiple layers of it can be bullet proof when hit directly at high velocity, but it was never meant to be resistant to being slowly worn away over time. I guess we'll see what happens from others that bought one – maybe it will fray for a time then settle into a more stable state.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mnutzer said:

It really feels like holding a sweater when you use it. I also have an M10M with traditional skin that feels completely different. I'm really interested to see how soon I can wear this thing out lol

If the kevlar proves to not be a good long term material, I'm sure a new, black, calfskin (or ostrich!) wrap wouldn't be too ugly anyway

13 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Ok, decided to look at the Kevlar cladding in the bright sunlight – yikes. This just doesn't work for me on a camera that's supposed to be tough – looks like a wool sock that's falling apart, and I don't want to have to use a lint roller on the camera every time I want to change a lens. Thanks to Josh at Leica Miami for allowing me to return this for an M10-R.

That is not good.  Makes me think Leica designed this camera for collectors and not users.

Excellent service from Leica Miami 👍

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Cats will love it.

Can't resist😉. M4 reporter 'homage' with real paracord strap and grenade ring - cost of strap in total £2. No kevlar but the cat does like the excess paracord which was bought for bootlaces😀.

• Like 6

On 2/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, ejk64 said:

hello ,

the leica m10-p " reporter " with the summaron-m28/5.6 ,  a billingham khaki bag , a hamilton khaki mechanical watch : what else ???

Nice chair!