New Special Edition: The Leica M10-P "Reporter" in Kevlar Cover

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/29/2022 at 12:32 AM, Herr Barnack said:

The kevlar panels in a level IIIA vest are 0.33" thick (8.4 mm) and consist of up to 50 layers of laminated kevlar.  Level IIIA protection will stop handgun rounds up to .44 magnum, 12 gauge shotgun 00 buckshot and slugs, but will not stop any rifle caliber bullet, including a 5.56mm (M193) or 7.62x39mm.

Given the above, the single layer of kevlar cladding on the M10-P (and Q2) Reporter cameras will not stop much.  If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that the kevlar on the Reporter cameras might stop a projectile from a .17 or .22 caliber air rifle.

As for the .22 Short caliber, which launches a 29-grain (1.9 g) bullet at 1,045 feet per second (319 m/s) with 70 ft·lbf (95 J) of energy from a 22 in (559 mm) rifle barrel and can penetrate 2 inches (51 mm) of soft pine - no.

Regarding the .22 Long Rifle round, the single layer of kevlar cloth would not stop the projectile. 

Well said. However, if it was thick enough to stop the bullet with 95J energy, there are two things that concern me: 1) that energy has to go somewhere (into the person holding the camera); and, 2) what would it do to the insides of the camera?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War photographers count on the metal in a Lecia to stop bullets. I also saw photo after of a Leica

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

a lens stop a bullet. In either case the cameras. were not operating but the photographer was. The Reporter is a very nice color. The fabric was used with a sense of humor by the good Doctor. If they had an M11 reporter I would get it too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a M10-P Reporter that I use- it's not locked up away in a box! First photo is the camera the day I got it in July 2021 from the camera store. The coating is pretty solid and does not attract fingerprints. The Kevlar fiber has small texture fuzz. The Kevlar color is getting a little faded and is more on the gray side and doesn't seem to be going towards the green as stated in some literature. Last photo is the camera with the COOP Leica Paracord Strap that is perfect on the camera. 

The color is a nice change from the usual Chrome or Black bodies 😎.

• Like 4

My reporter is used daily. Some fraying of the aramid ahoy! already showing near the baseplate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 22.10.2022 um 17:23 schrieb Al Brown:

The new SL2-S Reporter’s Press Release & PR material (the simultaneous release was completely overshadowed by the M6 revamp) has NO KEVLAR WORDING whatsoever, it’s all Aramid.

Here is “The very last Kevlar™ named M10-P Reporter built (so far) 😄”.
Not bulletproof. Not tougher. Not sturdier. Just a pretty work tool.

Lens: Old Delft Minor 35mm/3.5 LTM, strap: Hyperion Hand Made Camera Straps (Greece), strap protectors: Deadcameras (Portugal).

May I ask, which strap this is. It looks wonderful !

Love this thread. 

There is a fellow Leica Shooter named Danny Bligh with a crazy reporter with lots of brassing. According to him if I understood it correctly it is fully natural brassing. His reddit: downtowninjury and IG: Dannybligh (photos is his and not mine.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Borna said:

Love this thread. 

There is a fellow Leica Shooter named Danny Bligh with a crazy reporter with lots of brassing. According to him if I understood it correctly it is fully natural brassing. His reddit: downtowninjury and IG: Dannybligh (photos is his and not mine.)

Yes, he is a member here and posts as @hcklr. Do you have his permission to post his copyrighted photos here?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Borna said:

Love this thread. 

Afaik he swapped the aramid with leather trim already

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone: A little update on the M10- P Reporter Aramid fraying: it is fraying.

Edited by Al Brown

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well i just received my, until 10 minutes ago, unopened box, Reporter, what a beauty, most beautiful M yet!!!

but it doesnt turn on.......charged the battery for 5minutes, nothing....now i charge the battery until 80% and try again.......wish me luck guys

10 minutes ago, overexposed said:

but it doesnt turn on.......charged the battery for 5minutes, nothing....now i charge the battery until 80% and try again.......wish me luck guys

She is a beauty, no doubt. If you have problems charging the battery, try another power cable. But first give it some time. The cable I got with my M10 was defective. Good luck!