Is the king of bokeh lens also a sharp lens?

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

"King of Handling" would be current model 35 Voigtlanders with the giant focus tabs 🤫

My king of nothing is just a lens to use

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

compact, light to carry and good enough results.

As side note, I had more than a dozen of units of 35mm Summicron so called "KOB", decades ago,

I bought them to learn ( kind of statistic "rendering" ) when they were cheap.

I gave up because the "renderings" are so different from lens to lens that I understood why some are fond of them but some users found them as "soso".

Neither one was bad lens though, just stiil keep two (one Wetzlar and one "Canada" 1913-1983) to use from time to time.

Maybe the variations were common by then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

As side note, I had more than a dozen of units of 35mm Summicron so called "KOB", decades ago,

I bought them to learn ( kind of statistic "rendering" ) when they were cheap.

I gave up because the "renderings" are so different from lens to lens that I understood why some are fond of them but some users found them as "soso".

Both my early Canadian and later German 35/2 v4 have the same optical formula and the same coating AFAIK. Only differences are plastic vs metal parts and convex vs concave focus tabs. As far as my copies are concerned, the rendering of both lenses looks identical. I did not do side-by-side comparos though. 

Interesting, I did not find the 35 Steel Rim re-issue too glowy at all (see photo wide open). My 35 pre-asph lux was glowing much more.

• Like 4

I tested a few Summicrons. The one they call KoB was nice but my fav regarding rendering was the II.
Stubbornly sticking with Old Delft for character though. And with an "extended" version of II/III in the shape of Summicron 40/2.

Edited by Al Brown

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Interesting, I did not find the 35 Steel Rim re-issue too glowy at all (see photo wide open). My 35 pre-asph lux was glowing much more.

Same here.  No worse than my previous two copies of the pre Apsh v2

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Low contrast light won't provoke much glow regardless of which 35 Lux pre-ASPH version we're talking about.

Reissue at f/1.4 on BwXX:

53 minutes ago, rcusick said:

Same here.  No worse than my previous two copies of the pre Apsh v2

As was mentioned, if your v2 is glowing more than your reissue at f/1.4, it may need a CLA. All these old lenses have haze even if you can't observe it using the typical method of shining an LED light through the opposite end of the lens. CLA completely changed my v2, and the glass looked perfect to begin with. But if you like how your v2 renders, then don't CLA it.

v2 at f/1.4 (CLA) on the M11 (click on each or they will look soft):

Have to crop in to see the glow:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Low contrast light won't provoke much glow regardless of which 35 Lux pre-ASPH version we're talking about.

Reissue at f/1.4 on BwXX:

As was mentioned, if your v2 is glowing more than your reissue at f/1.4, it may need a CLA. All these old lenses have haze even if you can't observe it using the typical method of shining an LED light through the opposite end of the lens. CLA completely changed my v2, and the glass looked perfect to begin with. But if you like how your v2 renders, then don't CLA it.

v2 at f/1.4 (CLA) on the M11 (click on each or they will look soft):

Have to crop in to see the glow:

See coma in my post.  My point is that the reissue is no worse than classic glass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 6:04 PM, hdmesa said:

I have a v4 Germany arriving tomorrow from Leica Miami. It's had a Leica CLA and 6-bit coding added. I'm hoping it will serve as a slightly more compact alternative to the ASPH v1 I sold, which was great on film but "meh" on digital. I'm hoping the v4 can can hold similar color and contrast to the ASPH but have a little bit more character wide open. I recently tried the Steel Rim reissue – ok on digital, but stopped down it didn't have that certain something the ASPH did on film.

Did you recently have this listed on Ebay?  If so, was curious as to why you were selling it.  I no longer see it listed or sold. 

11 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Nice.  How do you like it?  There was recently a 6-bit German copy recently purchased from Leica Miami on Ebay, so it must have just been coincidence.  

Leica Miami put a second one up for sale after I bought mine. It was not a mint copy like mine and was sold for a lower price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mediumformula said:

…How do you like it?…

Great lens. No complaints except for the crazy high price. Compact with great ergonomics considering the small size. It has modern sharpness but still has some character wide open. I have yet to send in my film to the lab to see if I like it for film shooting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Nice.  How do you like it?  There was recently a 6-bit German copy recently purchased from Leica Miami on Ebay, so it must have just been coincidence.  

That was mine.  Great lens!  Bought it but realized it was just a GAS purchase since I also have a Summicron 8 element and a 35 lux v2 pre asph.  Sold on FM.

13 minutes ago, lifeandmylens said:

I did a few comparisons here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1814892

Interesting comparison.  The v4 had a little more contrast and was a bit sharper in detail to my eyes, and has better flair control.  Also it seems to be letting in a about a half stop more light at f2 than the v1.  Based on those tests, I think I would have personally kept the v4!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

Interesting comparison.  The v4 had a little more contrast and was a bit sharper in detail to my eyes, and has better flair control.  Also it seems to be letting in a about a half stop more light at f2 than the v1.  Based on those tests, I think I would have personally kept the v4!

I would love to see a summilux pre asph vs v4 comparison 

I have used the V4 twice as much as the V1 on the M10-R . .

V4 has great centre sharpness, wide open, but corners or mid-field tend to wobble a bit. It looks as if my copy (mine had a CLA in A'dam) has a slight tendency wide-open to have a front-focus in the corners, giving some softness and blur in the distance. Close up this disappears.

But for sure V4 can capture monsters in all their flying colors - I like it for portraits, even at 1/90:

But then,

all those fads about the V4 are left behind in the world of the V1. It has an evenness in the field I like. The corners also have some focus shift - to the back. . . Mine had a CLA in Wetzlar. They are great.

Of course I have 35mm Summicron pictures with the bokeh rings. But that is another story. What I generally like is a 3D effect. [- all these pictures M10-R]

Edited by Alberti
added 'Summicron'
  • Like 2