Is the king of bokeh lens also a sharp lens?

wolan

I have owned three Summicron 35 IV and two Summicron 35 aspheric. I kept the Summicron 35 IV (made in Germany, with newer serial number does not contain plastic parts internally).
The KOB is superior to the aspheric Summicron. At full aperture the KOB definition is higher in the center and slightly lower at the edges than the aspheric. The color rendition is fantastic.
The Cron Asferico is only more contrasted but not more defined than the KOB. Indeed it also has an annoying "magenta" tone in the color.
I believe that lens manufacturers often use aspherical lenses today just because they are cheaper to make.
This is my experience.

• Like 4

My 35/2 asph v1 is significantly sharper than my German-made 35/2 v4 below f/5.6. BTW i suspect good people getting softer results out of the 35/2 v4 stop down may use their copy on a rangefinder as the lens suffers somewhat from focus shift at around f/4-5.6. Just a guess though. 

Many lenses have a slight and gradual shift of focus when you close the diaphragm. This is also the case with the KOB, but it is still within normal depth of field. From tests done I can say instead that the aspherical Cron 35 had a focus shift only at f4, even at long distances.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also own the v4 Summicron 35 and have held onto it while selling a series of other Leica lenses. The lens is supremely sharp stopped down, and the color is exceptional. I love the gentle falloff of the out-of-focus areas (especially on film). It's my most-used and by far my favorite lens.

@jaapv - I read the Mike Johnston 'retraction' when he wrote it, and while I really enjoy his opinions and blog, I can't shake off the slight feeling of sour-grapes when he's writing about Leica these days. He certainly talks a lot about the monochrom models, and how he can't afford them. And with some justification, I think he regrets feeding the Leica adulation, and the prices that have accompanied it.

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

But

OTOH, I picked up the trick of pulling up the midtones in Curves on Monochrom files to get a more film-like tonal rendering from his blog. ;)

Often helps with conversions from color digital M files, as I’ve found since moving away from film M’s in 2009.  Depends of course on specific circumstances and rendering intent.

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albertospa said:

Many lenses have a slight and gradual shift of focus when you close the diaphragm. This is also the case with the KOB, but it is still within normal depth of field.

When i see some softness it was there or the wine was too good :D. Pretty obvious around f/4 on my two copies of the 35/2 v4. I mean on digital of course :cool:.

• Like 1

my goggled V1 canada summicron is very, very sharp wide open:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the bokeh King was not so sharp:

10 hours ago, jaques said:

the bokeh King was not so sharp:

I don't have the files to hand on the laptop I'm working on today, and these days I'm reluctant to post images of my kids online, but I was looking at some wide-open portraits from the v4 this weekend, and zooming-in specifically on the hair and also the weave in the clothes that the kids are wearing, and simply amazed at the sharpness. As I'm saying this without evidence you can take my words with a pinch of salt, if you choose.

But my conclusion is that every type of lens has some lemons - and you had one.

Softness can hardly be questioned at edges and corners on the 35/2 v4 at full aperture, but otherwise it has just a bit less acutance than modern lenses there. Here at f/2 on the digital CL. FWIW. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 3

YES IT IS!

All my Leica lenses are! They just appear with somewhat different personalities. Question is which personality are you! That said, this lens is not as ¨bitingly sharp¨ as some of my other asph lenses. And corners fully open are truly very very soft. But as someone else in an older thread stated, ¨at f4,0 this lens really shines¨ with the most pleasant rendering all over. To give another hint of my personality; I hated the 28 cron asph for its harsness, sold it... and bought a used 28 v4 which I really adore.

And yes, I am happy that it is german made and without plastic parts... and in silver... but not due to resale value... A true keeper!

Regards

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I have been keeping an eye on the KOB in silver on eBay. This thread is tempting me a lot to get it. I am pretty sure that the German made ones will be very expensive one day. 

Hi Steven,

Are you certain that it's a version 4 35/2 Summicron ("KoB") and not the 8-element version 1?  There are plenty of (8-element) v1 Summicrons popping up from time to time but a silver v4 is quite a rare lens in my experience.

Pete.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Hi Steven,

Are you certain that it's a version 4 35/2 Summicron ("KoB") and not the 8-element version 1?  There are plenty of (8-element) v1 Summicrons popping up from time to time but a silver v4 is quite a rare lens in my experience.

Pete.

Must be a chrome 35/2 v4 # 11311 i guess. There is one here (link) but it could be less expensive IMO. The dealer is very serious though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Hi Steven,

Pete.

I am sure. It costs 4500. Been chatting with the seller on WhatsApp who is a very reputable one from the Netherlands. He has it on hold for me. Everything included with the lens, even the original plastic 

• Thanks 1