Do you like you M10-D?

Steven

I love my M10-D! It’s been my favorite digital camera — in fact, really my only digital camera, as every other digital SLR or rangefinder I’d tried over the last 20 years felt ‘wrong’ in my hands. The M10-D was the first one that feels exactly right.

I mostly use a Zeiss Sonnar 50/2 and a Summaron 28/5.6, which covers my desired perspectives well, and are reasonably compact and sturdy.

I did some minor configuration when I got the camera, but since then have not changed any of the settings. I tend to use auto-ISO and auto-shutter (aperture priority), which, again, works well for the subjects I’m shooting.

I rarely use wifi mode and the Fotos app. Mostly I just pretend the camera is a film camera, and pop out the SD card like it’s a roll of film, and use an SD reader on my iPad or Mac to import the images. (I carry a spare SD card, along with a spare battery.)

I bought the EVF finder, but rarely use it. It’s useful for longer lenses, but unfortunately it sucks power badly, and I just don’t shoot in a way that requires it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

You're a master at evading the questions you don't want to answer. Noticed that since my very first post on this forum a few months ago ☺️

I answered directly.  I don’t own it.  But performance-wise, it’s identical to the M10, which I do own. And I said it’s marvelous.  I don’t make love to it; but it it’s a fine camera for what I need.  What part don’t you understand?

Jeff

My question was not what you think of the M10x series, as I already know in depth what you think of the M10/M10P and the M10R as well. 

I wanted to know what you think of the D philosophy, and the M10D as an observer, since not as a user. 

Haven’t given it any thought.  My camera works fine, and I like having a screen.  Otherwise I would have kept a film M. I also don’t own or have any strong opinions about the M10P or M10R, other than neither is desired for my current shooting and printing needs.  Both remain terrific tools for some others, however.  

Jeff

5 hours ago, Steven said:

Excellent testimony, thank you for taking the time. It's very encouraging. 

Have you tried the digital M's with screens and didn't like them either ?

I borrowed an M10 (non-D) from my local Leica dealer for a few days. It was good, of course, but I think what really enjoy about the screen-less D is... well, the lack of the screen! 

I’ve always enjoyed understanding the art & skill & craft of photography, and I’ve always found that a screen (e.g., an automatic preview) de-emphasizes the understanding.

Of course, some people think different: they are concerned only with the final result, and if the presence of the screen makes that easier, than that’s the better solution.

But for me, I’m happy with the process being slower, more thoughtful, more dependent on my own decisions of aperture/etc. — even if I don’t get to see the results for a few hours.

• Like 1

There are quite a number of threads on this camera, though not as plentiful as the other M10x variants. I actually started 2 of them (one about a year before I got the camera and another more recently) and have also aired my views about this camera in various threads, so pasting the links to those threads and posts here instead of re-hashing. The first link has a number of views by M10D users so you might find that useful. The second link was more of a rant by myself but has praises of the M10D too. I should state I have long forgotten the issues I raised in my half-rant of a thread. The latter two links are less M10-D-centric.

I wanted the M10D since it came out in October 2018, was almost tempted in January 2019 but decided to get a used 50APO to go with my M240 instead, rather than use the 50APO money to trade up the M240 to the M10D. In January 2020, I was on the hunt to replace my M240 and was thinking between the M10P or M10D (I wouldn't have owned both). I missed on a good deal on an MD-262 around that time too, and would probably have been happy with that camera instead of the M10D if i managed to snag that, as it used the same accessories as my M240. I then picked up an M10M on a trade and sold the M240 and there was a lot of camera activity on my end from then till the end of 2020. After settling all my camera gear and with nothing else I was lusting for but the M10D (no lenses I would get over it, no other cameras I wanted) a good deal came up and I took it. Same batteries as my M10M too and the perfect colour companion. 

If you're itching for new gear, as I see you often are on these forums, I don't know if an M10D would do it for you. Essentially I spent the whole of 2020 trying to cut down my gear to the "essentials" - enough gear to scratch any itch, enough to grow into but not too much to distract and bother me that I have too much gear (though I'd say I still do have 1 more lens than I should have). I bought, tried and sold a lot of cameras and lenses to get to this point, so I guess one has to go through it himself to get there rather than hearing from someone that you should just find a balance and reach a certain level of contentment.

Edited by chasdfg

As stated by chasdfg there are quite a few (recent) threads about the m10-d. It's my only camera and I do really like it. It is a lovely camera to use and hold in your hands. I have it for about two years now and don't lust after an M10-r. Actually I am more lusting at reducing gear nowadays instead of adding. Last summer I did buy an M4. Although beautiful and lovely to shoot, I have sold it again. The more gear I have, the more often I am confronted with choices (which lens do I take, etc.). I want to keep it simple. 

I believe I've read posts from the op about going from an m10-r to an m10-p. And more gear posts. Please don't take it wrong, but my advise would be just stick to what you have and enjoy it. I saw your insta posts and you take beautiful pics. Just keep doing that. It gives more satisfaction than another model camera. :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chasdfg said:

There are quite a number of threads on this camera, though not as plentiful as the other M10x variants. I actually started 2 of them (one about a year before I got the camera and another more recently) and have also aired my views about this camera in various threads, so pasting the links to those threads and posts here instead of re-hashing. The first link has a number of views by M10D users so you might find that useful. The second link was more of a rant by myself but has praises of the M10D too. I should state I have long forgotten the issues I raised in my half-rant of a thread. The latter two links are less M10-D-centric.

I wanted the M10D since it came out in October 2018, was almost tempted in January 2019 but decided to get a used 50APO to go with my M240 instead, rather than use the 50APO money to trade up the M240 to the M10D. In January 2020, I was on the hunt to replace my M240 and was thinking between the M10P or M10D (I wouldn't have owned both). I missed on a good deal on an MD-262 around that time too, and would probably have been happy with that camera instead of the M10D if i managed to snag that, as it used the same accessories as my M240. I then picked up an M10M on a trade and sold the M240 and there was a lot of camera activity on my end from then till the end of 2020. After settling all my camera gear and with nothing else I was lusting for but the M10D (no lenses I would get over it, no other cameras I wanted) a good deal came up and I took it. Same batteries as my M10M too and the perfect colour companion. 

If you're itching for new gear, as I see you often are on these forums, I don't know if an M10D would do it for you. Essentially I spent the whole of 2020 trying to cut down my gear to the "essentials" - enough gear to scratch any itch, enough to grow into but not too much to distract and bother me that I have too much gear (though I'd say I still do have 1 more lens than I should have). I bought, tried and sold a lot of cameras and lenses to get to this point, so I guess one has to go through it himself to get there rather than hearing from someone that you should just find a balance and reach a certain level of contentment.

Thank you for this very useful testimony. Although I'd be curious to, even if I guessed it, your opinion on the camera after hesitating, lusting, then owning it. 

Thanks also for the thread. I had actually read them all carefully, and I started a new one because I wanted some "2021" feelings from users. I may also add this fantastics thread to the ones you recommended. 

• Like 1

I once had a M10D for betatesting. I liked it, and has a certain "freedom" to not have a display.

To answer your quesition: I liked it, but I liked it less than a Leica-M body with display. Specially since exp metering with the Leica M is not that reliable, I missed a display sometimes.

1 hour ago, poli said:

As stated by chasdfg there are quite a few (recent) threads about the m10-d. It's my only camera and I do really like it. It is a lovely camera to use and hold in your hands. I have it for about two years now and don't lust after an M10-r. Actually I am more lusting at reducing gear nowadays instead of adding. Last summer I did buy an M4. Although beautiful and lovely to shoot, I have sold it again. The more gear I have, the more often I am confronted with choices (which lens do I take, etc.). I want to keep it simple. 

I believe I've read posts from the op about going from an m10-r to an m10-p. And more gear posts. Please don't take it wrong, but my advise would be just stick to what you have and enjoy it. I saw your insta posts and you take beautiful pics. Just keep doing that. It gives more satisfaction than another model camera. :) 

Thank you for the compliment about my pictures. No better thing to hear at the beginning of the week. 

Regarding my frequent acquisition of gear, no offense taken. I'd like to say though that it is not GAS, IMO. 

I discovered the Leicaverse just a year ago, when I bought an M6 out of curiosity for film (which is now replaced by an M7). With Leica, I discovered a new aspect of photography which I never knew. The pleasure of shooting, almost as an addiction. The feeling of using a camera. Since then, I have been a quest to find my perfect setup. Some can do it based on forum and other experiences. While I value these and spend time on the forum, I also need to try the products for myself to know if it will suit... me ! So this is what ive been doing, going back and forth, buying, selling, rebuying. It's tedious, but once it's successful, it brings a great deal of peace. 

Shooting stills and videos, I needed first a a hybrid mirrorless. After trying every one of them on the market, I finally settled for the SL2-S. I love it to death, even if I had to make a sacrifice: AF. I know this camera will be my hybrid solution for the years to come and no other one can dethrone it for now. 

As a smaller, more fun to use camera, I have loved my M10P since the first day. I still love it today and don't need the D. But I became very curious about it. Something attracts me to it. It looks so much to use. I want to acquire it because I want to see if it can perfect further my shooting kit. I feel like it could be a great complement to by very advance SL2S's EVF and screen. It might not work for me, in which case not all will be lost. Maybe just 15/20% of the price ill pay for it when I resell it. But it could work, and make me want to give up my P. 

Who knows ?! 

In the meantime, rest assured, I continue to take photos with my M10P, and I'm constantly inspired, regardless of my gear considerations. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I once had a M10D for betatesting. I liked it, and has a certain "freedom" to not have a display.

To answer your quesition: I liked it, but I liked it less than a Leica-M body with display. Specially since exp metering with the Leica M is not that reliable, I missed a display sometimes.

I fear the same. The biggest advantage to the M10's display for me is that I live it always on, at the lowest luminosity, so I don't look at it, but I get a multi point exposure while looking through the OVF.

I wouldn't say the metering of the M is not accurate. I think it is. It's just that spot metering is a bit harder to use than when the camera balances the exposure for you. It's an extra step to use the spot one, but the old fashioned will like it.