Using the SL2 for Wildlife?

Flyer

Presently, Canon 400mm f4 DO v2, with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, is likely the best option for L-mount bodies. No AFC, but AFs works. The optical quality is outstanding. The OIS is outstanding (no IBIS, only OIS). Look for second-hand lenses. And make a search for @michali's experience/photos (or you can wait for Mike to chime in ;)...).

Edited by helged
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, helged said:

Presently, Canon 400mm f4 DO v2, with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, is likely the best option for L-mount bodies. No AFC, but AFs works. The optical quality is outstanding. The OIS is outstanding (no IBIS, only OIS). Look for second-hand lenses. And make a search for @michali's experience/photos (or you can wait for Mike to chime in ;)...).

Thanks for the response. Just looked at the link and it looks like things haven't changed since the original SL, lots of compromises and/or lack of some features. So maybe wait and see if Panasonic bring us anything?!😂

3 minutes ago, Flyer said:

Thanks for the response. Just looked at the link and it looks like things haven't changed since the original SL, lots of compromises and/or lack of some features. So maybe wait and see if Panasonic bring us anything?!😂

More likely that Sigma will come with a 500mm f4 lens in L-mount. But hard to know... 

14 hours ago, helged said:

13 hours ago, Flyer said:

What Helge said & which I've also repeated here: 

It would be wonderful to have a native L mount long telephoto with all features being available. I've recently read somewhere that Sigma have registered the  patent for a 400mm f4 L mount.  I'd be very keen to check that lens out when it eventually appears. However it's going to have to equal the Canon 400mm f4 DO USMll, not only in the IQ department, but with weight & size as well. The Canon 400mm f4 is probably the best telephoto lens I've used in +40 years of wildlife photography & it's reasonably compact & not too heavy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use the SL/2 with the Televid spotting scopes, and are the results any good. I couldn't find a thread for the two together, if there is please let me know? Thanks in advance. :)

• 5 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, aksclix said:

Has anybody considered or tried the Canon 200-400mm F/4 lens on SL2? I am considering it and might just rent it for a couple of days..

I’ve tried most of the big Canon glass, although not the 200-400 specifically. As soon as you introduce that Canon to Leica adapter autofocus performance goes way down. Any lens 70-200 and larger uses too much battery power and you lose burst mode. I sometimes use my 100-400 canon (mark ii) on the Leica and the image quality is amazing but it’s slow frame rate and barely better than manual focus. For wildlife, at this point, I’m keeping a Canon body around. 

• Like 4

I hoped that Sigma or Pana would bring a long lens (about 400) for Tokyo olympics. After all they are both Japanese companies.

It does not look so currently, or does anybody know of test lenses for the olympics ? Sony and Nikon seem to have test cameras.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:21 PM, caissa said:

I hoped that Sigma or Pana would bring a long lens (about 400) for Tokyo olympics. After all they are both Japanese companies.

It does not look so currently, or does anybody know of test lenses for the olympics ? Sony and Nikon seem to have test cameras.

If Canon were testing anything at the Tokyo olympics I would have thought it would be the new R3, but I've not heard of it being there.

My guess is that Canon long lenses will continue to work much better on Canon bodies than on Leica ones.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Looks like a longer Sigma is on the way this month. Rumors are that there's a 150-600 Sport on the way for L mount with a new design.

Gordon

Was announced this morning. Looks fairly interesting and apparently significantly lighter than the previous models. (150-600mm)

Edited by Tailwagger

See the video from about 20:00 - looks more promising than I was expecting. Jürgen Tapp uses the lens on Sony E; difficult to say how the af works on Leica SL2/SL2-S).

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Doesn’t look attractive to ME. Your requirements will vary from mine most likely. I don’t like its form factor, how it extends to 600mm – looks goofy if you ask me. And I’m not trusting the Sigma image quality – sure at least the price is low. But I’d rather spend my money on the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens with 1.4x and 2.x extenders and the Sigma adapter for the extra reach over my fantastic 90-280 Leica zoom on SL2 and CL. My 2c worth to this euphoria. 

1 hour ago, meerec said:

Doesn’t look attractive to ME. Your requirements will vary from mine most likely. I don’t like its form factor, how it extends to 600mm – looks goofy if you ask me. And I’m not trusting the Sigma image quality – sure at least the price is low. But I’d rather spend my money on the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens with 1.4x and 2.x extenders and the Sigma adapter for the extra reach over my fantastic 90-280 Leica zoom on SL2 and CL. My 2c worth to this euphoria. 

Hard to compete with the Canon 400mm f4 DO v2, without or with extenders, that's for sure; an optically superb lens/combination.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Jak1dr said:

I’ve tried most of the big Canon glass, although not the 200-400 specifically. As soon as you introduce that Canon to Leica adapter autofocus performance goes way down. Any lens 70-200 and larger uses too much battery power and you lose burst mode. I sometimes use my 100-400 canon (mark ii) on the Leica and the image quality is amazing but it’s slow frame rate and barely better than manual focus. For wildlife, at this point, I’m keeping a Canon body around. 

agree.. I've sold the adapted lenses I had purchased for the L mount.. I would much rather use the 90-280.. 

the new Sigma 150-600 maybe interesting but I wouldn't get it.. the AF performance on my R5 and a9 are in a different league and I wouldn't invest in another super telephoto for L mount..