Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, 250swb said:

But why would Leica inflict on photographers a new camera design that looks backwards? It's not an advance in design if the photographer has to wind the film on and then cock the shutter is separate operations.

That's true... but maybe there was the intent that A was mechanically linked to the movement of the advance lever... engaged to B that cocked the shutter....???

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh well... Lars Netopil spoke of Otto Weller as the designer... is he still around ?? 😎

Edited by luigi bertolotti

2 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

That's true... but maybe there was the intent that A was mechanically linked to the movement of the advance lever... engaged to B that cocked the shutter....???

Oh well... Lars Netopil spoke of Otto Weller as the designer... is he still around ?? 😎

There would be no advantage is such a design and a Compur shutter needs far less of a throw to cock it than the range of movement of the lever suggests would be necessary. However the advantage of the lever operating the aperture is that the aperture information is transferred to the viewfinder display mechanically by A and B. Seeing the aperture in the viewfinder would be an innovation for a rangefinder camera and the sort of thing prototypes are built to test. And I think you are overlooking there seems to be no other way to control the aperture on the lens apart from the lever.

Edited by 250swb

From Jim Lager, received just now.

"This piece was undoubtedly buried in the Leitz Wetzlar Museum contents . 

When I photographed items there in 1988 I did not see this item. I suspect the curved

lever may have been a way to cock the bladed shutter independent of the film winding

lever at the camera top. Only Leitz knows and there may be nobody left to tell us the 

story. "

William

• Thanks 2

On 1/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, lars-netopil said:
...allright - this is the Otto Weller designed, so called „M5 automatic“. 

Published in my „PROTOTYPE LEICA“ book, pages 363; 370-375. 

An idea of using the Leicaflex body, for a RF camera. Something from the 1960s, which re-appeared around 1980, when Peter Loseries created the „M6 ELECTRONIC“ on basis of the R4. 

From the pictures I think(!), that it is the very same camera, maybe pictures taken at Leitz Wetzlar or Leica Solms Museum, time ago.

my very best 

LARS NETOPIL

Greetings Lars! Good to have your knowledge base here on the forum!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 250swb said:

There would be no advantage is such a design and a Compur shutter needs far less of a throw to cock it than the range of movement of the lever suggests would be necessary. However the advantage of the lever operating the aperture is that the aperture information is transferred to the viewfinder display mechanically by A and B. Seeing the aperture in the viewfinder would be an innovation for a rangefinder camera and the sort of thing prototypes are built to test. And I think you are overlooking there seems to be no other way to control the aperture on the lens apart from the lever.

Edited by luigi bertolotti