14 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Based on a Leicaflex body - interesting!

Hello Tom,

When I got my new Leica Manual in 1973 one of the first things that I noticed was how many things the new M5 shared with the Leicaflex SL. Like, for example, the improved shutter speed dial which was concentric with the shutter release button, which overhangs the front of the camera just enought to be remarkably useful.

It seemed to me, from seeing the above & other aspects that the new M5 was an attempt to couple a modified M4 range/viewfinder with a modified Leicaflex SL body. Possibly to develop 2 complementary photographic systems with a number of shared aspects. And possibly components.

Best Regards,

Michael

In my final years before 'going digital', I used an SL2 for outdoor shooting, and an M5 when indoors. I agree with Michael Geschlecht that the two cameras seemed to have been designed to minimise the handling differences between them.  I really liked the M5.

• Like 1

I think the lever is part of a quick release mechanism - notice the slot going a quarter of the way around the lens underneath. It means that any connections within the rear of the lens can contact their equivalent in the body directly the lens is attached, and then the lever allows for breach mount locking without the rear of the lens turning ?

although you can see the open position of the lever related to the slot in the Leicaphilia second picture is the same as when mounted, so now I think the slot allows for the lens to be focussed when locked in position.

John

Edited by jpattison
addition
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpattison said:

I think the lever is part of a quick release mechanism - notice the slot going a quarter of the way around the lens underneath. It means that any connections within the rear of the lens can contact their equivalent in the body directly the lens is attached, and then the lever allows for breach mount locking without the rear of the lens turning ?

although you can see the open position of the lever related to the slot in the Leicaphilia second picture is the same as when mounted, so now I think the slot allows for the lens to be focussed when locked in position.

John

Indeed (looking at leicaphilia picture) the lens mount is at all different from the standard M mount.... the white button on the body looks like acts on the small pin well visible on the body flange... but who knows if it's really for lens' mounting... the times ring is on the body... and it has to engage someway with the lens, being the leaf  shutter into the lens itself... maybe the pin has this function, and the lens' release is achieved in another way, like speculated by John.  A little mistery 🙄 .. I still think that the lever is related to diaphragm : apart the DOF scale, there is no other evidence of something related to the f stops... 

It could be useful to know which was the original design goal : make a camera ONLY with leaf shutter lenses or make a camera with std. M mount and just make ALSO the capability to have some special leaf shutter lenses, like they did with the complex "Compur Summicron" ?

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it says Compur shutter ..so there is a leaf shutter inside the lens? perhaps the lever is for that purpose?

just saw another compur shutter Leica lens..haven't seen this before

https://www.setadelstudios.com/collections/50mm-sm/products/leica-50mm-summicron-f2-sooic-compur-shutter-sm-lens-rare-only-58-made

Edited by frame-it

I don't think this prototype had a leaf shutter. As it was based on a Leicaflex chassis and has a top speed of 1/2000 it seems much more likely it would have used the same shutter as the SLR. The shutter dial around the lens being similar to other designs such as the Olympus OM series.

2 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I don't think this prototype had a leaf shutter. As it was based on a Leicaflex chassis and has a top speed of 1/2000 it seems much more likely it would have used the same shutter as the SLR. The shutter dial around the lens being similar to other designs such as the Olympus OM series.

Hello James,

At about the same time that this prototype was most likely made (Dated around the time that the Leicaflex had 3 screws in its tripod socket.) Compur was working on a leaf shutter with a top speed of 1/2000 second.

Best Regards,

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello James,

At about the same time that this prototype was most likely made (Dated around the time that the Leicaflex had 3 screws in its tripod socket.) Compur was working on a leaf shutter with a top speed of 1/2000 second.

Best Regards,

Michael

But why would Leica inflict on photographers a new camera design that looks backwards? It's not an advance in design if the photographer has to wind the film on and then cock the shutter is separate operations.