Leica X1 Optical Viewfinder case recommendation?

Douglas Carroll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the Leica Brightlight Optical Viewfinder, # 18707, for my X1. I also have the 18709 case that I keep my camera in and I would like to get a small matching black leather case to keep the viewfinder in that I can attach to the strap of the 18709 case. I have seen such a viewfinder case that comes with the X1 Ever ready case, but I can't seem to locate the leather viewfinder case separately. Does anyone know if this small viewfinder case can be bought separately or another case to recommend to take its place? I need a leather case that has a couple of slits in the back of it so I can attach it to the strap of my case.

Any hints or suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!!!

:-)

Hi Douglas,

Wellcome back to the forum !

The X1 is indeed a wonderful camera, to the present day :) 

There‘s an Austrian - Norwegian alpinist Peter Schoen and a German cyclist called Andreas who post wonderful images taken with this model in the X1 thread.  

Now that you have found the optical viewfinder useful for your photography, couldn‘t it be a good moment to reconsider the present camera bag?

Putting on and removing the viewfinder before and after each sequence, not to mention the opening and closing of the two bags, could be substituted by a new little bag of your choice. The 18709 could accommodate the charger, one or two batteries and an SD holder. 

After your trip to Gobi almost 10 years ago, a new bag could be useful.

Edited by tri

The original viewfinder case came as part of the ERC and, in my experience,  was seldom used. My X1 lives in a simple Apex case with viewfinder and handgrip fitted. Sometimes the same unit fits into a larger messenger style bag together with a complimentary camera, such as the X-Vario or CL. I think you would find a separate case for your viewfinder irritating and a short-lived solution. 

12 hours ago, Douglas Carroll said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it! By the way, does anyone have the dimensions of the X1 viewfinder? Mine hasn’t shown up yet and I’ve been looking at small cases but am not sure if they are the correct size for the viewfinder. I can’t seem to find dimensions online...

Thanks!

I will measure mine in one hour.

1 hour ago, wda said:

I will measure mine in one hour.

37 mm Long

28 mm Wide

26 mm High

My every-day case is a Lowepro Apex 100 AW which takes the camera with pop-through lens cap, viewfinder fitted to camera for immediate use and spare battery and memory card. When out and about, the case fits to a waist belt for security and easy access. Or joins another camera in a messenger bag.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Leica 36 mm viewfinder on my X1 and I always leave it attached and never used a case myself after all you don't need to carry extras lens just a spare battery in your pocket. My X1 just hangs round my neck when I go out, that's when the lockdown ends that is.