Moving from TL2 to CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dopaco:

I do not have CL nor have I tried it. Yes I have TL2 and today I am very happy, there are things in TL2 that I give a lot of importance and value to, the extra memory in the camera and that the camera acts as a hard disk. I connect the camera via USB and I can edit the photo I want and also charge the battery.

The images of what I have seen do not observe great significant differences. In video there may be some in favor of TL2.

The menu interface, most of us who are years old, see the CL seems more intuitive and comfortable, but my granddaughters, who are young, love to play with TL2. It took me a bit of work to do it, but once I get over it it's easy, although I don't have the dexterity that my granddaughter has, she handles the on-screen menus with both thumbs of both hands at high speed.

Now that she has the 2 cameras, she can use them and compare them.
Sorry, my English is awful.

I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you Dopaco for weighing in. I've only had the CL for a day, and for a fleeting moment yesterday I thought " Jeez, this is like my old Nikon FE2, you look through the viewfinder, you aim, compose, press the shutter, and that's it." Except of course I like all those on-screen widgets, like the horizon level, the histogram etc.

Re processing, I've applied some of my TL2 presets to the CL files, and they do seem to come out a tad more punchy than on the TL2, so I will have to dial it back a bit and create CL specific recipes. For anything else, it's too early to tell. No complaints about the IQ, acuity, microcontrast, but I am not telling the CL crowd anything new here I guess, so I'll just shut up and go and take some more pictures.

Greetings to Spain, don't worry about your English, it is just fine.

• Like 1

One question: the CL and the TL2 do share the same sensor design, correct? Dimensions are 4000 x 6000, 24 MP, for both cameras. Why is it that the TL2 DNGs are on average 54 MP in size, and the CL DNGs on average are only 44 MP in size? Is there a compression algorithm in the CL which the TL2 does not deploy? It's a difference of almost 20% in terms of data carrying capacity between the two. Qualitatively I don't see much difference, but the quite different file sizes give me pause. Maybe I'm missing something...

Leica does use LOSSLESS compression on their cameras. The parameters may well be different between TL2 and CL. As Nicci78 notes, the TL2 files seem to go through more in-camera processing, which might generate a differently compressed DNG file. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuntingSand said:
8 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

One question: the CL and the TL2 do share the same sensor design, correct? Dimensions are 4000 x 6000, 24 MP, for both cameras. Why is it that the TL2 DNGs are on average 54 MP in size, and the CL DNGs on average are only 44 MP in size? Is there a compression algorithm in the CL which the TL2 does not deploy? It's a difference of almost 20% in terms of data carrying capacity between the two. Qualitatively I don't see much difference, but the quite different file sizes give me pause. Maybe I'm missing something...

From what I read, both cameras share most of the same things, the biggest difference is in their handling.

The handling of the CL is similar to the operation of most Leica cameras, which we have all seen and some had, its compression and assimilation for us is and has been easier and can be a reason for greater sales.

TL2, its handling seems more futuristic and it looks a lot like smartphones. I think Leica brought out this camera so as not to be left behind and cover that space. It is true that sales have not accompanied, it may be because young futurists are studying or looking for work and with a smartphone (there are some who take extraordinary photos) is enough.

I have always liked this page ..:  https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-cl-vs-leica-tl2

• Thanks 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Leica does use LOSSLESS compression on their cameras. The parameters may well be different between TL2 and CL. As Nicci78 notes, the TL2 files seem to go through more in-camera processing, which might generate a differently compressed DNG file. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not worried much at all, was just wondering if I had overlooked a toggle between lossless and lossy compression for the CL's DNG files.

Edited by HuntingSand

Thomas, congratulations; you made a good decision. I still have my T+EVF that I rarely use. I did not go for TL2 because of the lack of flash, and I am so glad I moved to CL. It is a completely different camera and a pleasure to use. Of course, you won’t have the same IQ as with your S, but for an aps- c camera, it is absolutely great and very versatile. You can very easily use your old lenses and get great results. I am still using my old and manual Nikkors.

Please, post your cl work in the galleries. I am not in cL gallery for different reasons, but very often in other galleries.

Best regard,

Louis

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Louis:

Thomas, congratulations; you made a good decision. I still have my T+EVF that I rarely use. I did not go for TL2 because of the lack of flash, and I am so glad I moved to CL. It is a completely different camera and a pleasure to use. Of course, you won’t have the same IQ as with your S, but for an aps- c camera, it is absolutely great and very versatile. You can very easily use your old lenses and get great results. I am still using my old and manual Nikkors.

Please, post your cl work in the galleries. I am not in cL gallery for different reasons, but very often in other galleries.

Best regard,

Louis

Louis, thanks for sharing your experience. I've seen your posts and like what I see. I am quite satisfied with the CL's IQ, it's a specific type of file that, without an anti-aliasing filter. Re lenses, I have the 35 Lux, the 55-135 and the 18mm, which covers what I need since I am more prime-oriented anyway.

Btw, I got the Paul Smith edition, so nobody takes me seriously, which is just fine with me :-)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb huwm:

Had both and one had to go(along with a load of lenses) in favour of Q2

I kept the CL, the evf being the deciding factor winning out over the undoubted beauty of the TL2

Tough decision, that, form and aesthetix over function. I think I'll hang on to the TL2. Enjoy your Q2, a cracking camera from everything I hear and read.

12 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

Louis, thanks for sharing your experience. I've seen your posts and like what I see. I am quite satisfied with the CL's IQ, it's a specific type of file that, without an anti-aliasing filter. Re lenses, I have the 35 Lux, the 55-135 and the 18mm, which covers what I need since I am more prime-oriented anyway.

Btw, I got the Paul Smith edition, so nobody takes me seriously, which is just fine with me 🙂

You got great lenses. I do have 35 which I keep on the camera most of the time; and 55-135 that is surprisingly a really good glass. I don't have 18.., but 18-56 that is very compact for travel and events. It is not very fast like 55-135, but I get very good result with it.

BTW, I am not familiar with Paul Smith edition!

Good luck, my friend; and happy shooting with your new toy! :)

• Like 1

I really like the CL. I'm an old Leica Photog and I find the IQ good. I found the T, which I still have, more difficult to use as far as changing modes etc.Once it's set it too is fine. You will definitely enjoy using the CL. By the way, the reviews on Youtube are sterling. 

• Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Louis:

You got great lenses. I do have 35 which I keep on the camera most of the time; and 55-135 that is surprisingly a really good glass. I don't have 18.., but 18-56 that is very compact for travel and events. It is not very fast like 55-135, but I get very good result with it.

BTW, I am not familiar with Paul Smith edition!

Good luck, my friend; and happy shooting with your new toy! :)

Thanks Louis. I really do like the 11-23mm and the 55-135mm, those are exceptional lenses. One with the later attached. People keep telling me about the 18-56mm, but I am holding off for now.

The Paul Smith edition looks like a silly toy 😋

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

vor 9 Stunden schrieb vroger1:

I really like the CL. I'm an old Leica Photog and I find the IQ good. I found the T, which I still have, more difficult to use as far as changing modes etc.Once it's set it too is fine. You will definitely enjoy using the CL. By the way, the reviews on Youtube are sterling. 

Thanks for chiming in. I had the original T, and acquired the TL2 because I really liked the styling over the CL. Re changing modes, I am an A-mode shooter 98% of the time, so once it is set as you say, there's no need to fiddle further. The UI of the T line turned out to be really ingenious in my opinion. The CL is very manageable but also much more traditional.

7 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

Thanks for chiming in. I had the original T, and acquired the TL2 because I really liked the styling over the CL. Re changing modes, I am an A-mode shooter 98% of the time, so once it is set as you say, there's no need to fiddle further. The UI of the T line turned out to be really ingenious in my opinion. The CL is very manageable but also much more traditional.

I am an “A” shooter 100% of time. As I am shooting in the street with moving people most of the time, my camera is also set on continuous focusing all the time. This is working fine for me with CL. 

• Like 1