Leica CL & 23mm f2 summicron v Fuji XT2 & 23mm f1.4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have posted on this forum before re - Leica 23mm F2 , as I'm on the cusp of buying a Leica CL and that lens.

I have previously used a Fuji XT2 with the Fuji 23mm f1.4.  Very nice set up.

Please don't shoot me down in flames but I'm very curious.

I have looked at images ( full resolution 6000 X 4000 ) in L/R taken by both cameras with their 23mm lens offerings.  The point is this.  In my opinion the Leica images look better ie better colour / tone etc.  When I view the images at 100% on my MacBook Pro 15" the Leica images still look better however when viewed at 200% the Leica images tend to "break up" more whilst the Fuji images retain more detail and a somewhat smoother rendition without any artefacts.  

Has anybody had the same experience please and what are your views ?

Thank you , Adam.

I have a CL + TL23mm combination and love it. I like what comes out of this combo (there are a few in the CL image pinned posts on the most recent page) and I like the “handiness” of it all as well. 

Bluntly, if I was into pixel peeping I would buy a microscope not a camera, preferring to focus on ideas, composition and light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:24 AM, AdamMark said:

When I view the images at 100% on my MacBook Pro 15" the Leica images still look better however when viewed at 200% the Leica images tend to "break up"

Not sure what you're expecting when viewing at 200%. It won't add any data to the image, only artefacts created by the screen or the computer i suspect but i may be wrong as i'm no techie at all.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, lct said:

Not sure what you're expecting when viewing at 200%. It won't add any data to the image, only artefacts created by the screen or the computer i suspect but i may be wrong as i'm no techie at all.

In this case you are right ;) 

100% is ok. 
more is useless. Just go buy a 47MP cameras. Then look at 100% 

anything beyond 100% is just how lightroom will made up for the non existent data. 

please keep in mind that 100% is already guess work for the colour information. 
Lightroom has to guess which colour is the pixel. 24MP sensor = 6MP of red + 6MP of blue + 6+6MP of green (light gathering differential between greens will give you luminance information) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, stephengv said:

I love the 23 Summicron and CL. I also have an M 240 and 35 Cron ASPH, I must say, the photos of the CL and the 23 is comparable. 

How are the colors when you compare 240 and CL with a 35mm (23) ? 
CL has the saturated Leica colors from Leica M ?

tanks 

4 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

tanks 

I never did a direct comparison, meaning same subject then shoot it with the M and CL. What I can say, when the photos are mixed up in Lightroom, I can’t tell the difference. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

tanks 

Have a look in the CL image thread...  However, in my use, colour saturation depends on the image, not on the camera, as it is a choice in postprocessing. Colours can range from monochrome to garish, with any camera. Just a slider's push away... I would not say that the 240 produces typical "Leica" (whatever that means, I guess you mean Kodak-based colour) colours straight out of the camera. It took me a few weeks of profiling and tweaking to get them to match my M9 settings.

• Thanks 1