Black images

Chr. And

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Help. Black images. Now I have twice experienced some of the pictures on my SD card are black. Today I took a total of 24 pictures. When I got home there were black pictures from number five and even 17. And no, they were not incorrectly exposed, and yes, I had taken the front cover off. It is really a disadvantage to use MD without a rear fender in this context. The striking thing is that info about iso, aperture, shutter speed etc. is on the file, all the black files are also the same size 3.1 MB which gives me a little stomach ache, because then it might sound like the camera does not "load" the image. I just had the card in another camera (with rear screen) and here the status is the same: 12 black pictures. I do not know, but if anyone knows anything I will be happy to know.

Christian 

I had an Mp-240 that was giving me the same problems. I tried different cards and new batteries and I was still getting black frames sporadically. Pretty sure it needed to be serviced. I was ready to upgrade to M10 at the time so I sold it as-is with it's faults honestly described.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, Chr. And said:

...I just had the card in another camera (with rear screen) and here the status is the same: 12 black pictures. I do not know, but if anyone knows anything I will be happy to know...

The good news is, as marchyman said earlier, if you are getting the same (actually worse) results with this one card in a second camera then the fault would seem to lie with the card and not with the camera. Buy some new cards and throw the old card away; if you cannot rely on it then it's not really worth keeping as, through its potential for failure, you might miss some really important images.

Philip.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:11 PM, Chr. And said:

Help. Black images. Now I have twice experienced some of the pictures on my SD card are black. Today I took a total of 24 pictures. When I got home there were black pictures from number five and even 17. And no, they were not incorrectly exposed, and yes, I had taken the front cover off. It is really a disadvantage to use MD without a rear fender in this context. The striking thing is that info about iso, aperture, shutter speed etc. is on the file, all the black files are also the same size 3.1 MB which gives me a little stomach ache, because then it might sound like the camera does not "load" the image. I just had the card in another camera (with rear screen) and here the status is the same: 12 black pictures. I do not know, but if anyone knows anything I will be happy to know.

Christian 

Start by reformatting your card in SD Formatter. Do a deep format. And then format the card in-camera whenever you switch it to another camera. If that does not work buy a new card and dedicate it to one camera only.

• Like 1

Best WAG is that in my experience a bad memory card can cause a multitude of issues, as can a low/old battery.  As these issues are easier to check than sending the camera in for service I think that's where I'd start.  I also like to do a complete camera reset when chasing "poltiergueists I the CPU" sort of issues.

Incidentally, making a photograph on a card in one camera and then trying to view the images in a different camera can be an issue.  Cards typically prefer to be formatted in the camera in which they are used.

Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Like 2