M10 VS M10-P

iamgroot40

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

My name is Austin, I am new to the Leica forums. I am a proud owner of M10 its best camera I have ever owned. There is something about M10-P it is growing on me and love the stealth look has anybody traded there original M10 for the M10-P. I know this is probably a long shot by asking just wanted to see everyones thoughts our about it.

Thank you,   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 6:10 AM, iamgroot40 said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Austin, I am new to the Leica forums. I am a proud owner of M10 its best camera I have ever owned. There is something about M10-P it is growing on me and love the stealth look has anybody traded there original M10 for the M10-P. I know this is probably a long shot by asking just wanted to see everyones thoughts our about it.

Thank you,   

Tons of folks have done exactly this. I personally do this every round (unfortunately for my bank account). I think just make sure you get the right deal for your trade in if you do it.  

In my experience Leica Miami has the best trade in offers but I have noticed their used prices have increased against the competition lately. That said, I think you would still make out ok going that route and the camera would be exactly as advertised. 

In general though, it probably isn't worth the upgrade if it is only about looks. I don't take this advice but it is logical. For me personally, I don't use the touch screen of the M10P/R and the shutter noise improvement isn't a big deal unless you need the quietest shutter. The level gauge I do use. If you love your M10 I would just keep it and enjoy it. I think most of us agree that the M10 is a fantastic camera. 

Good luck and welcome to the forum! Post some pictures in the picture threads. :  )

Edited by dkmoore

• 3 months later...

I traded up my M10-P for an M10-R. I don't regret the trade-up because many of the nice M10-P features are carried over into the R, but every time I remove the plastic hot-shoe cover on my R, to use the EVF-2 with my Tri-Elmar lens, I'm reminded of the metal one that I had on the M10-P which generally had a much more 'quality' look and feel about it.

I don't use the touch screen much except to activate the wi-fi which could easily be on a quick menu. The quiet shutter is nice, but not a deal breaker. Personally, I liked losing the red-dot on the 'P' as I do a lot of street photography but not so much I want to tape it up on my R. 

The M10 is a great camera in any guise. My favourite of all is the M10-D which is not a hit with everyone. It's basically an M10-P without a screen and my current, 'I'll never sell it' camera 🙂