Don't Use Third Party Lenses on SL2 Body?

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, darylgo said:

Perhaps, but I would put my money in a true investment before seeking it in lenses.  I buy my lenses to shoot, I put money in the stock market to appreciate.  

Are we here to talk lenses/photography or investment portfolios? In both cases it is a bit strange to ask total strangers but hey, that's the magic of the internet 🤠

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, Sjz said:

I have followed him on YouTube for over a year finding his insights interesting and passionately conveyed.  He creates fabulous images and that is what counts.

I don’t always agree with him, but then I take very few portraits and my use cases are different.

My only non-Leica lens is a Sigma Art 14-24 DG DN and other than it being a pain with filters - I am always impressed with the results.  It spends more time on the SL2 than the 35 or 90-280.  The 24-90 grabs the majority of the time on the body but I don’t regret buying the Sigma it is VERY sharp and even at 14mm the distortion is controlled (if you keep it level).

Sigma Art 14-24 DG DN is a great lense. Very pleased with the results on my SL2, cannot see any reason to pay 4x more for e.g. Leica's 16-35 SL

• Like 1

Well, I am very happy with my Vario 24-90 and 50 M Summilux and 90 M Summarit, no questions about that.
But I've sold my 35 M Summicron and bought Sigma ART 35/1.2 instead with no regrets at all. Fabulous lens!

The same goes for Sigma ART 105/1.4 (yes it is heavy, but wow it's great! Besides Leica cannot offer anything similar to it and even if
it could it would cost a fortune!) and then Sigma ART 14-24 (L-mount)

I have to say that I am more than happy for L-mount alliance.
Sure, I like Leica lenses very much, but I have no problems using top notch Sigma or something else if I am pleased with the
output. Saving a tons of hard earned money at the same time - so what's not to like? 🙂

Last but not least - Zeiss 85/1.4 Milvus (Nikon mount). Another winner in my bag.

It all depends, found the protruding huge front element of Sigma 14-24 DG DN clumsy as also prevented use of normal filters. In my case the 16-35 range is much more practical than 14-24 so sold this Sigma. Fully agree that the L-mount alliance is great with lots of great choices available.

Interesting and informative thread.

I`ve just taken the jump to an SL2s mainly as a digital back for my M glass .

In terms of alternative lenses most of the talk so far has been about Sigma rather than Panasonic .

I`m wondering if there is a reason for that .

The reason I ask is because when I do get a AF lens it will probably be in the standard 70 - 200 2/8 range and Sigma don`t appear to have one but Panasonic do .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

Interesting and informative thread.

I`ve just taken the jump to an SL2s mainly as a digital back for my M glass .

In terms of alternative lenses most of the talk so far has been about Sigma rather than Panasonic .

I`m wondering if there is a reason for that .

The reason I ask is because when I do get a AF lens it will probably be in the standard 70 - 200 2/8 range and Sigma don`t appear to have one but Panasonic do .

Panasonic 70-200 F2.8 is excellent based on a rental I tried last year. Their 24-105 F4 is also a surprisingly good do it all lens and often available for a very low price if bought used.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, Flyer said:

I thought it would be interesting to capture opinions on using third party lenses on Leica bodies.

I personally can't afford to buy a Leica lens and use the latest Sigma's, I hope one day to be able to afford a pure Leica lens unil then I still enjoy the SL2-S and can still capture nice detail and maybe iys more relevant with the M range as you want that "Leica look"? opposed to the sharper L range lenses?

This guy on You Tube insists that only top Leica lenses should be used, is he right?

Shh! I use Voigtländer lenses. And I use them on an SL2. While I do own some Leica lenses, not a single one of them is an SL. My only native full frame L mount is a Sigma 70 macro.

23 minutes ago, ravinj said:

Panasonic 70-200 F2.8 is excellent based on a rental I tried last year. Their 24-105 F4 is also a surprisingly good do it all lens and often available for a very low price if bought used.

Thanks for that .

It doesn`t seem to garner many reviews although it does well in the ones which I`ve seen.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 8:11 PM, ravinj said:

As is the Panasonic 70-300 which I used on my sadly deceased CL(huge reach) and now SL2

On 1/15/2021 at 1:30 AM, Flyer said:

I thought it would be interesting to capture opinions on using third party lenses on Leica bodies.

I personally can't afford to buy a Leica lens and use the latest Sigma's, I hope one day to be able to afford a pure Leica lens unil then I still enjoy the SL2-S and can still capture nice detail and maybe iys more relevant with the M range as you want that "Leica look"? opposed to the sharper L range lenses?

This guy on You Tube insists that only top Leica lenses should be used, is he right?

You don't have to listen to this guy or worry about whether he is right or not. ( He's not).