Under Exposed Photos on MY M-D Type 262

M2Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've always had under exposed,  by .3 to .7 of a stop,  photos from my M-D Typ 262 but thought it was the lens (a 40mm/2 M-Rokkor). It's a simple fix in post if if really bothers me so I rarely paid it no action before. Now I've paired it with another lens (again non-Leica) and noticed the same thing. My one Leica lens is old and had a sticky aperture ring so it is with YYe.

1. Is this a trait endemic to 262 sensors or M-Ds in particular because one can't change the WB?

2. Might it be the third party lenses I'm using?

I do live in San Diego (jokingly referred to as 'Sun Diego') so the sun's harshness may play a factor.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing and need to give up my passion/hobby of 35 years.

Any ideas would help!

Thanks

In answer to your questions (both specific and implied); No. No. Possibly. Up to you to decide.

The TTL metering system of the Leica works in a particular way. I suspect you are mis-interpreting the TTL readout - possibly through lack of experience with TTL stuff. This might be why you are underexposing your shots. Too much Sky in the frame; Too much Sea in the frame; Too much...etc...etc...etc...

I'd very much like to help you so if you could post a screen-grab of an unedited slab of your shots I'd like to see why you have this problem. The sun might well be a major culprit but without a lot more information / evidence there's not much we have to go on in an attempt to give you any meaningful advice.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

M2Pete,

May it be permanent correction dialing "-.3" or "-.7" EV ?

To be sure, when you look in VF of the M-D, you have LED on, do you see one point (".") LED blinking ?

OR just keep pushing the function button (right of the shutter button, "15" in the manual), turn the wheel "20".

Tell me what you see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pippy said:

In answer to your questions (both specific and implied); No. No. Possibly. Up to you to decide.

The TTL metering system of the Leica works in a particular way. I suspect you are mis-interpreting the TTL readout - possibly through lack of experience with TTL stuff. This might be why you are underexposing your shots. Too much Sky in the frame; Too much Sea in the frame; Too much...etc...etc...etc...

I'd very much like to help you so if you could post a screen-grab of an unedited slab of your shots I'd like to see why you have this problem. The sun might well be a major culprit but without a lot more information / evidence there's not much we have to go on in an attempt to give you any meaningful advice.

Philip.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

M2Pete,

May it be permanent correction dialing "-.3" or "-.7" EV ?

To be sure, when you look in VF of the M-D, you have LED on, do you see one point (".") LED blinking ?

OR just keep pushing the function button (right of the shutter button, "15" in the manual), turn the wheel "20".

Tell me what you see.

DOH!  I forgot I could control that! Checked it out and that seems it might be the problem! (will not know until tomorrow for certain) Lesson learned.

Sorry to waste everyone's time. Mea Culpa  😶

Edited by M2Pete
  • Like 1

I would be suspicious of the current exposure compensation setting of your M-D. 
Like a.noctilux said, while pressing down on the function button scroll left or right to see what exposure setting you’re on. 
If it’s on the negative side of “0.0” then you do have it set to underexpose. 

Edited by plaidshirts
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, M2Pete said:

DOH!  I forgot I could control that! Checked it out and that seems it might be the problem! (will not know until tomorrow for certain) Lesson learned.

Sorry to waste everyone's time. Mea Culpa  😶

Yes; the exposure compensation would seem like a much more likely reason! And you didn't waste our time if the issue has been resolved for you.

Hope things work better from now on!

Philip.

Having said all that please beware of Leica and blown highlights. After a while you may revert to underexposing a little and adjusting in post processing. The shadows are much easier to raise than blown highlights are to recover.

• Like 2

The exposure compensation feature was the culprit. It was set to -.7. Never bothered to use this feature so previous owner must have set it and I just ignorantly accepted it. Thanks to everyone for weighing in, and #jdlaing I'll be wary of those blown highlights. For all its quirks I love my new camera, It really is my digital M2!

32 minutes ago, M2Pete said:

The exposure compensation feature was the culprit. It was set to -.7. Never bothered to use this feature so previous owner must have set it and I just ignorantly accepted it. Thanks to everyone for weighing in, and #jdlaing I'll be wary of those blown highlights. For all its quirks I love my new camera, It really is my digital M2!

Glad the problem is solved and that it was so simple a solution.  You may have been the victim of the Leica version of a "butt dial."  

2 hours ago, M2Pete said:

...For all its quirks I love my new camera, It really is my digital M2!...

...with TTL metering. Yes; I agree.

You are by no means the first - nor will be the last - to have made this observation / connection. Glad the problem has been resolved.

P.

2 hours ago, M2Pete said:

The thin manual of M-D would give you the answer ...

Blinking tiny point LED as warning that the + or - dialling in EV ,for me, is not enough when in hurry.

If you don't have one, you can download in your choice of language at Leica Supports web site

Concerning the light meter of M-D 262, I think that in this one and other digital M, Leica AG was conservative ( maybe to preserve HL ? ).

As usual, the metering "guide" needs to be interpreted and adapted to the planned pictures.

13 hours ago, Ernstk said:

I deliberately underexpose on my M-P 240 by .3 or by .7 stops, always.

The sensor is not good at handling blown highlights (so I always expose for highlights) but is very good at recovering shadow detail.

Ernst

Same here.

• Like 1