red/green coloration in camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am experiencing a red/green coloration in the shadows. This appears in camera and when I upload them to my computer. Was wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have it updated to the latest firmware 3.1. After resetting the camera it doesn't appear to be happening as severely, but still has a bit of color. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I hate to write that, but i fear that there is a hardware fault in either the panel or it's hardware.

BTW, it's a Q but what software version?

Just to exclude any weired setting or software problem:

1° do a factory reset
2° reload the lates firmware

Chris

After importing the images into lightroom, the coloration does not show up on the image... Still so bizarre. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb mikeswens:

After importing the images into lightroom, the coloration does not show up on the image... Still so bizarre. 

Yes, that is what i wrote;
you have most likely either a defective lcd panel or the electronics for the panel is bad.
As it became less visible after you updated to the last SW version it seems that the camera electronics is making problems.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I experience very similar issues and I contacted Leica UK in 2018. In essence, this is about the limits of the compressed JPEG and not a fault in your own Q. I have pasted the relevant information from Leica’s response to me, here. I hope it helps.

cheers,

chris. 

Dear Mr Nebard,

If you shoot DNG only, you will see artefacts on screen, especially if you zoom in. The image will not be critically sharp and will often show strange colours/banding.

However, when you look at the DNG in Lightroom (or any good RAW converter) there should be no sign of these artefacts. The image should look crisp and clean.

What you’re seeing on-screen is the limits of the ‘lossy’ compressed JPEG used for display purposes. If you shoot JPEG and DNG together, the preview image on screen will look much better.

As David said, originally the Q was designed to shoot DNG and JPEG together. However, Q users wanted a DNG only option, so Leica enable this in a firmware update. 

It seems the Q can’t record a high quality JPEG for display purposes – hence the artefacts visible. Incidentally, this ‘fault’ is not unique to the Q – I’ve observed something similar on many other cameras…

Kind Regards

Client Care Team

Leica Camera UK

34 Bruton Place

Mayfair

London

W1J 6NR

www.leica-camera.co.uk